Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Both But I'm confused
    It's the OS. Put the OS into the Samsung Epic and you have a phone that will dominate all.
    It's definitely webOS. Palm sucks & the hardware sucks even more. WebOS is hands down the best mobile OS in the industry & everybody knows it. Can't for the life of me figure out why it's so hard for HPalm to stuff it in some rock solid, speed demon hardware.
    Hell HPalm, have HTC to private label the thing like Google did with the Nexus One....WHOA...the thought of webOS in an HTC built superphone just gave me a shiver, I'd be all over it!
    If you tell me you weren't a little sad when you saw how Palm's Facebook picture went from bright orange to HP blue, you're a liar.
    Palm really birthed the consumer smartphone market with the Treo 600. I have always enjoyed their dedication to the keyboard once they dropped graffiti. Palm as a company is a part of webOS. So for me both.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Palm really birthed the consumer smartphone market with the Treo 600.
    I would argue that point. The Treo 600 was indeed small for a PDA of its time, but it still looked very much like a PDA. It did attract consumers who were already wanting the functionality of a PDA but were reluctant to carry around a larger gizmo, but it was Motorola that reinvented the PDA as a gotta-have-it sexy consumer gadget when it designed the Q. This was during the RAZR craze, after which the Q was styled. It was the thinnest smartphone ever at the time at only .47 inches, and it had an internal antenna rather than a stub antenna. It was the Q that first started to turn the heads of consumers who would have not otherwise considered a smartphone.
    Quote Originally Posted by protofa View Post
    it's the UI of webOS that does it for me...and homebrew.
    This, on no other OS is it simpler to do something, having used an iphone and a desire, its so much effort to just find a contact, or send a text.

Homebrew only improves the experience, or if you complete it.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Palm really birthed the consumer smartphone market with the Treo 600. I have always enjoyed their dedication to the keyboard once they dropped graffiti. Palm as a company is a part of webOS. So for me both.
    That's a nice story, but it was actually Handspring that created the Treo 600 after they "birthed the consumer smartphone market" with the Treo 180 and the Treo 300 in previous years. Palm eventually purchased them.

But the real birth of the consumer smartphone (if you discount early Nokia attempts) was the Kyocera 6035 based on Palm OS.
    Kupe, we were talking about the first phone to appeal to your average consumer, hence "consumer smartphone," not the first smartphone to be sold in the US. And you're wrong there too. It was not the Kyocera 6035, it was the Qualcomm PDQ-800, released in June of 1999, which was much larger. Kyocera purchased Qualcomm's handset division in February of 2000 and later released the Kyocera 6035.

http://the-gadgeteer.com/assets/kyocera1.jpg
    Last edited by Syndil; 10/21/2010 at 03:04 PM.
    I have no brand loyalty towards Palm, but I do like the logo's typography.

I'm here for webOS, which I've found to have the best user interface by far of any computational device I have ever used. If the Palm name went away forever, I'd be sad because the logo'd be gone from my next phone, and because a lot of handheld computing history would come to an end, but I'd live - if webOS lives on. Which I think it will.
    I could have cared less about palm when I got my Pixi, actually I could have cared less about webos also when i got my pixi. I got it all for the form factor, i actually played with a friends pre without any knowledge of gestures, cards, and such and for a while I thought it was the worst OS I have ever seen.

Once I got my Pixi i absolutely fell in love with webos and then Palm itself. I have had a treos before only for a few months (i worked at sprint for a few years and had all sorts of differnt phone) however i never cared much for it, i think i liked my ppc-6700 better.

But after falling in love with webos, and then by default palm. I began to see how highly people talked of the old palmOS; and all the great things about it, and how it seemed so ahead of its time.

BTW my first palm device was the palm handspring visor deluxe PDA , I bought in 2001 for nearly 300 and I was 15 years old, worked my *** off for that thing.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Both.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Kupe, we were talking about the first phone to appeal to your average consumer, hence "consumer smartphone," not the first smartphone to be sold in the US. And you're wrong there too. It was not the Kyocera 6035, it was the Qualcomm PDQ-800, released in June of 1999, which was much larger. Kyocera purchased Qualcomm's handset division in February of 2000 and later released the Kyocera 6035.

http://the-gadgeteer.com/assets/kyocera1.jpg
    Fair enough - which would leave out the Treo 600 as a consumer device too since it sold just south of 1 million phones in its first year. If we're looking for the first "consumer phone" of the smartphone variety, then I would have to go with your previous post about the Moto Q.
    I like Chicken and I like Eggs
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    it is WEBos for sure. I am so sick of the original pre it makes me sick at times. I hate that it dies all of the damn time or just restarts but the droid os didn't do it for me. Epic is clean and all. Throw the webos behind it a some timely updates and I'm sold. But until then I will keep my pre until I see what happens in jan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    it's a bit of both, because the quirky character of palm that produced a plastic riverstone is also what created amazing things like webOS.

and palm has produced some killer hardware in the past.

I just think they just got lost in 'zen' and trying to be pretty and different without tying those characteristics to actual functions. And they clearly didn't do any drop testing on the design for a curved plastic screen.

without that quirky thinking, webos would not have made it out of the skunk works to become the thing of beauty that it is.
    Ok look at it this way, Ford built the first car, But deffently don't have the best out there. Plus palm wasn't even oringnal, pinch zoom, Come on palm don't get no credit and hopefully HP can turn this phone around, cus this plastic hardware sucks and even embarrising!! I had the pre from get go and been through many, If the pre phone doesn't improve with bigger screen horizonial slide out key board I'm getting a htc evo, oh yeah and hdmi out put on a new pre and glass biger screen, which is some of the reason I'm going to jump ship with my pre!!
    i could care a less about palm, i love webos.
    Is there a poll somewhere about people's phone choice before they switched to the Pre? I suck at search.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12