Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32
  1.    #1  
    Boy Genius Report is reporting that WiMax in NYC will launch 11/1, while SF and LA will be in early December.
    boygeniusreport.com/2010/10/18/sprint-4g-to-new-york-november-1-l-a-and-san-francisco-in-early-december/

    Several weeks ago Jackson of webOS World wrote an article explaining Sprint's 4G roll-out strategy: new device with a new group of cities. The implication was that the largest markets (NYC, LA, SF, and DC) would see a launch at about the same time with a new device, which he claimed would be a new Palm device.
    <deleted by Mod>

    Jackson also reported the specs of the Pre 2 to be:
    * 1ghz CPU (check)
    * 3.7″ glass screen
    * Revamped physical keyboard (check)
    * Amazing thinness ~0.5″
    * Newer versions of webOS (check)
    * 5MP camera (check) with 720p recording capabilities
    * 800 x 480 resolution
    <deleted by Mod>

    Verizon is set to launch 6 new LTE phones at CES.
    fonearena.com/blog/24374/verizon-to-launch-6-lte-4g-phones-during-ces-2011.html

    If Sprint wanted to get a jump on Verizon, they would want to launch a new cutting edge WiMax device before CES. Jackson said the new Palm device "should be released between October-December (Q4). They said Sprint would be pushing the device for Holiday season 2010. We were informed that the model(s) coming to Sprint will be exclusively 4G WiMAX (naturally) but it would be available in other countries 3G markets as well at a later time."

    The SFR version might be a slightly tooled-down 3G version for other markets and perhaps Verizon.

    Perhaps the release schedule will be:
    Pre 2/Roadrunner - SFR, Verizon - November
    Pre 2 WiMax/Roadrunner HD? - Sprint - December
    Mansion (LTE?) - Verizon - CES announce, January?
    PalmPad - Sprint, Verizon, AT&T - CES announce, February?
    Pixi 2/Broadway - Sprint, Verizon, AT&T - CES announce, March? (Pixi was set for EOL on Verizon in March)
    precentral.net/verizon-palm-pre-plus-end-life-october-21st

    What do you guys think?
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 10/18/2010 at 07:46 PM. Reason: link deleted as spam
  2. #2  
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    P102UEU Specs Revealed:
    That is entirely consistent with everything I just said.
  4. #4  
    the pre2 will not have 4g.
  5. #5  
    I don't think that is in the works for the near future. As a Sprint user whom does not live anywhere near a 4G area ( I am lucky to have 2 bars 3G most of the time) I resent the idea that I would have to pay more for the same service because of the phone that I own. A 3G Pre2 is perfect, at least for a couple years until 4G is in my area.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by tasogare View Post
    That is entirely consistent with everything I just said.
    Exactly, there is no FCC spec device from Palm with WiMax.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    im confused what is your argument here? this just shows what the FCC stated as so far it didnt give all the facts, as well as there of course may be other devices withheld from the public view through FCC(which is the case most of the time). Even if you look at what was discovered, it didnt show what the camera would be, and that was just reveled the other day. So we know of course that until someone comes forward with all of the specs, all we can do is guess, which is what precentral did with the FCC. TO me really thats the roadmap my insiders where given, which does match up with what jackson has been stating (so far hes been mostly accurate on plans of device for the roadmap) So to me this sounds most likely what will happen. So I second that as the likely roadmap for the pre 2, and pre 2 HD, again all guesses at this point, but a very good one I think.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by tasogare View Post
    720p recording capabilities (check)

    I haven't seen this anywhere.. Does it go hand in hand with 5MP camera?
  9. #9  
    I like the sound of that.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    Exactly, there is no FCC spec device from Palm with WiMax.
    The UEU model is for Europe. If the European model was 3G-only, of course you would not see WiMax in the FCC certification. We have not seen FCC certification for the UNA or EWW, which are North American.

    Again, this is consistent. A 3G foreign launch, 3G on Verizon, and WiMax on Sprint.
  11. #11  
    Some interesting theories. In my analysis of the Pre2's potential, I noted several modular components that could be easily swapped and it seems I was right on the 5mp camera.

    As for the screen, 3.5 looks like the upper limit unles they do something amazing with the ear speaker and gesture area. 800x480 is doable esp if they increase the base dpi.

    I checked on the 4G and it looks like the COMM chip in the EVO is a combination 3G/4G chipset so potentially that could be swapped in. With the OMAP 3640's double efficiency and no ridiculously large screen to power the 4G could work ok.
  12. #12  
    Nothing in the specs state 720p. 5mp camera maybe but nothing about 720p recording (especially with only 16gb memory and no mention of an SD card to increase space).
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  13. #13  
    that would be funny,,all verizon people gloating lately because they say they are getting new palm phone first,then a few weeks later sprint gets a better pre,,o man that would be classic.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    Nothing in the specs state 720p. 5mp camera maybe but nothing about 720p recording (especially with only 16gb memory and no mention of an SD card to increase space).
    Apologies. That was a careless positioning of the "check" on my part. I edited.
  15. #15  
    I like the sound of all of that, but it sounds more like a CES unveiling type device rather than a december launch. Judging by some of the possible specs listed, i.e. 3.7" screen and incredible thinness, this would probably be a totally different form factor and different device number than P102. I'd love to see the Palm Pre 2 get introduced at $99, with an HD-type device at the $199. I'd love for Palm to slip some clues as well.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by zmann View Post
    that would be funny,,all verizon people gloating lately because they say they are getting new palm phone first,then a few weeks later sprint gets a better pre,,o man that would be classic.
    really I dont mind if Sprint or AT&T dosent get anything until next year. I'm def happy to hear that we have some satisfied customer on Verizon, regardless on how Verizon treated the Palm Products. With a captial though of HP, and being able to scale products worldwide, we all have to remember that releasing products at a rate like Samsung, or Google in a short timeframe is feesable. So lets not boast who gets what first, lets just hope we get something at all, and continue too.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    im confused what is your argument here?
    If I'm answering the OP's question as factual as possible, the facts are that the only new Pre we know of won't have WiMax. Why is there only an FCC statement about an EU version of the Pre2 but not a US one? Only thing I can think of is that the US version is identical enough that it doesn't need another certification. I don't believe an EU version Pre2 will be released before a US one.

    There are also no rumors or leaks about a WiMax Pre2. It goes almost beyond speculation to base a claim solely on the timing of a few WiMax markets and the release of the Pre2.
  18. #18  
    Sounds great to me, though I'd be really surprised if we see a new form factor before CES.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    If I'm answering the OP's question as factual as possible, the facts are that the only new Pre we know of won't have WiMax. Why is there only an FCC statement about an EU version of the Pre2 but not a US one? Only thing I can think of is that the US version is identical enough that it doesn't need another certification. I don't believe an EU version Pre2 will be released before a US one.

    There are also no rumors or leaks about a WiMax Pre2. It goes almost beyond speculation to base a claim solely on the timing of a few WiMax markets and the release of the Pre2.
    true and I understand what your saying, I think he made the assumption based on rumors that have been somewhat correct since july regarding the C40 project. So far those rumors have somewhat come to pass, its still an assumption nothing defient, and to me that roadmap is the same one that most people with so called insider information (like Jackson, or NOX) has had for months now. As well as there could be a million reason why FCC only shows a EU version, why there isnt a US one yet, even though Verizon seems to have training on a unit that has not popped up in FCC yet (think about it). We know HP could be throwing a curve at us, since so far they stated no phones until 2011, yet we have Verizon saying a release of the pre 2 is coming this year. So I would keep a open mind, until we get hard confermation, even past FCC like from the mouths of a representative from HP introducing a device, with specs, carriers, and release dates.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    Why is there only an FCC statement about an EU version of the Pre2 but not a US one? Only thing I can think of is that the US version is identical enough that it doesn't need another certification. I don't believe an EU version Pre2 will be released before a US one.

    There are also no rumors or leaks about a WiMax Pre2. It goes almost beyond speculation to base a claim solely on the timing of a few WiMax markets and the release of the Pre2.
    I'm not trying to be argumentative but there is a huge hole in your logic. Leaks, by their nature, are incomplete. Therefore, it is impossible to rule anything out because there has been no leak on it. Case in point is the camera. People assumed it was the same camera because there was no mention of a better camera in the leaks before today. Today there is a leak of a better camera. The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

    But putting that aside, I did ask for people's opinions, and thank you for yours.

    I just think there has been a lot of chatter over the past few months that alone seems inconsequential, but taken together seems to paint a more complete picture. I just put a selection of the chatter together in one spot.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions