Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    If I'm answering the OP's question as factual as possible, the facts are that the only new Pre we know of won't have WiMax. Why is there only an FCC statement about an EU version of the Pre2 but not a US one? Only thing I can think of is that the US version is identical enough that it doesn't need another certification. I don't believe an EU version Pre2 will be released before a US one.

There are also no rumors or leaks about a WiMax Pre2. It goes almost beyond speculation to base a claim solely on the timing of a few WiMax markets and the release of the Pre2.
    If they're going to release in the USA on Verizon (as many rumors and screen-shots suggest), then there will be a separate filing with the FCC since they use different radios. What may have happened, Palm/HP requested/paid extra to keep the filing confidential until a certain date. Much like Apple does with the iPhone. Why they wouldn't ask for confidentiality with the EU version is beyond me. Maybe to keep Verizon happy with it's Droid2 release or to let Verizon and HP phase out the old units. Who knows? The Shadow Knows!

If the specs are what the OP is quoting then I will be a happily wait till CES to see what else pops up.
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    This could be plausible, but i dunno if i would waste my premier upgrade on a p102 with an added 4g radio in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by m3grady2 View Post
    This could be plausible, but i dunno if i would waste my premier upgrade on a p102 with an added 4g radio in it.
    of course I think the final product is more then that (not just the 1ghz processor faster then a OC one we have since its optimized to perform at that speed, with better battery life, better camera, better design, Screen most likely better, and maybe bigger, more storage, more ram, maybe 4G etc) It comes down to I think at this stage is if you like the Pre form factor (a portrait slider) then this is your phone, if not then we will have to wait until 2011 to get other form factors. Think Iphone models, I think HP intends on keeping the pre model in that sense for people who like that design which to me is smart.
    Quote Originally Posted by tasogare View Post
    I'm not trying to be argumentative but there is a huge hole in your logic. Leaks, by their nature, are incomplete..
    Totally agree and that's why it wasn't the main point of my argument, just something I pointed out at the end. The problem is attacking my argument doesn't make yours more valid. By comparison I think mine has a bit more validity.

If I wanna put my speculative hat on, I'd say their will be 3 devices launched in sometime from now to the first half of 2011.

1. There will be the Pre2 which Palm had designed a along. It won't have WiMax, sorry.
    2. The second device will be a tablet that HP wanted, no surprise there.
    3. The third will be a keyboard less HD phone. I think HP had been working on this phone all along and after acquiring Palm they had a better OS then Win7, Android or whatever they were using at the time.

I have to add:
    I do think there's a high probability that the phone HP had been working on will have WiMax.
    Last edited by deesugar; 10/18/2010 at 07:34 PM.
    Totally agree and that's why it wasn't the main point of my argument, just something I pointed out at the end. The problem is attacking my argument doesn't make yours more valid. By comparison I think mine has a bit more validity.

If I wanna put my speculative hat on, I'd say their will be 3 devices launched in sometime from now to the first half of 2011.

1. There will be the Pre2 which Palm had designed a along. It won't have WiMax, sorry.
    2. The second device will be a tablet that HP wanted, no surprise there.
    3. The third will be a keyboard less HD phone. I think HP had been working on this phone all along and after acquiring Palm they had a better OS then Win7, Android or whatever they were using at the time.

and speculating is ok, just understand thats all it is at this point. Your opinions against anothers.
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    I haven't seen this anywhere.. Does [720p video recording] go hand in hand with 5MP camera?
    larger megapixels means more pixels per photo and is related to the sensor. the lens is the part that helps with making photos less blurry, less dark, focused, etc, but it along with the sensor and other parts help create the resolution and frames per second with video recording. technically, a 0.9 megapixel camera can record 1280x720 video, but it requires the correct lens, software, and other parts to help it do so and must be manufactured in the correct way. While it's easier for a 5.0 megapixel camera to record HD video, they are not always able to, just like lower megapixel cameras might be able to.
    Last edited by DanLipson; 10/18/2010 at 08:07 PM.
    Palm Pre. Sprint.

View My Mockup!
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    The only FCC filing has been for the Euro Pre 2. The documents for the CDMA Pre 2 that were on the German certification site are not as detailed as FCC.

By that assumption, anything coming in the US is up for debate. Yes, we know about a CDMA Pre 2 and on Verizon. But we had no definite evidence that there will NOT be a 4G Pre on Sprint. Until FCC documents come out, we really can't say. I could see the arguement in the OP.

Btw, just because Sprint has 4G live doesn't mean every new phone (smartphone) will have it. The newly announced Blackberry Style does not.
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Only thing I can think of is that the US version is identical enough that it doesn't need another certification. I don't believe an EU version Pre2 will be released before a US one.
    Any new device has to go through FCC, even reboots with better internals. Especially with a diff CPU, it's a new device in the FCC's eyes.
    Quote Originally Posted by tasogare View Post
    That is entirely consistent with everything I just said.
    Minus the screen size is completely wrong. Resolution is identical to the pre.
    At last check 62 metro areas covered by 4G...is that enough for Sprint to launch a 4G PreX? Must be if they already went down that road with EVO...
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

I love how everyone is arguing with the OP on here like we actually know anything about the Sprint/Verizon or AT and T phones.

Guys the phones are clearly going to be 1G because that is what the original Treo was, so CLEARLY they are going to be 1G based on this evidence.

And there is no humanly possible way that they are going to be better than the Treo 650.

Its going to be a Treo 650 because that is the last image and device I looked at and I said so.
    the biggest thing that scares me about this spec bump with all the extra goodies and IF Sprint gets a 4G version is it still has the same small battery. i dont like that at all. i have not over clocked my pre now because the battery life for me is not good at all and if its using more juice to power the speed i will really be hurting.

i just wish the people did not care so much about how thin a phone is so we could get a battery in our phones, stock, that would be worth it.
    Pre be with you.

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm. -- Winston Churchill

Happiness is not achieved by the conscious pursuit of happiness; it is generally the by-product of other activities. -- Aldous Huxley
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12