Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    The Palm Savior (pun definately intended)

This is my submission for the Palm Mock-Up contest. I included my drawings here to show my work, took a long time, not good at photoshop so you wont see that here, but you will see my not so awesome hand drawing and MS paint fun. Feel free to leave coments and questions, good luck everyone who entered!

The phone is designed like a current pre slider, except instead of sliding up, rotating 90* unlocking savior mode, giving great benefits. In regular mode, it will function as a FULL functioning all touch phone. Dont forget to look at all the pics!

Full spec list:
    -4 inch OLED multi-touch screem
    -960x640 retina display
    -Dual Core 1ghz TI OMAP 3630 (or something similar, since thats a single core build).
    -Nvidia Tegra (dedicated GPU)
    -1gb ram / 32gb flash
    -micro SDHC capable/expandable memory
    -dedicated power, volume, camera, silence, virtual keyboard buttons
    -5 gesture toch unmapped programmable buttons in savior mode; which allow fast access buttons, such as mapping one to take a screen shot instead of holding 3 awkward buttons, using voice activation, saving a favorite web page, with the new universal search, posting your fb wall, having developers take advantage of extra controls, numerous possibilities.
    -six axis accelerometer
    -digital compass
    -proximity sensors
    -ambient light sensor
    -stand alone GPS
    -FM radio
    -wi-fi 802.11b/g/n
    -WiMax/LTE 4g capable
    -Bluetooth 3.0 or 4.0 ED/HD
    -Infared (beam); having a real long range infared beam opposed to old palm devices, allows to send mp3s, documents (quick office?), contacts, anything fast, also used for developers.
    -GSM/CDMA/World Phone
    -DLNA capable
    -Micro USB w/USB 3.0 technology
    -Micro HDMI + hdmi out
    -Front facing 5mp adjustable auto focus, single LED light camera/corder for day/night time video chat; needs to be a light in the front, not neccessarily a flash, what if you want to chat it up at night? the screen light will give you a ghost effect + flashed self portraits!
    -Rear 10mp AF+touch focus, 5x optical zoom (both camera and camcorder), 720/1080p record/playback + HDMI out, Duel LED/Laser, and Night Vision
    ~Night Vision: using the rear camera to capture footage at night to be able to see at night, or not even capture, just live (before you take pic or record video) to see around in the dark!
    ~laser has many functions for app developers; proximity detectors, laser level, alarm triper, a funner barcode scanner, custom laser image, augmented reallity if used w/camera, etc...
    -Dolby digital surround sound speakers activated in savior mode
    -dual batteries, 1 internal non removable lithium ion, and 1 removable for adjustable/boosted battery life, touchstone compatable
    -carbon fiber housing; if it drops it drops
    -internal kevlar padded unit for shock absorbtion
    -fully functional ALL touch phone while not in savior mode (has dedicated keyboard button), such as Evo, Driod X, iPhone.
    ---
    forgot to add this in my contest submission, had it on my notes =(,
    -was either thinkin of another dedicated button/custom programable ones or one of the gesture touch buttons in savior mode, voice activation like the just type feature, say call steve, search superman, "text steve message"
    -as well as including compatibility for nextel direct connect, using one of the dedicated buttons, or even an application and map it to the gesture buttons.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by h2o826; 10/16/2010 at 12:18 PM. Reason: spelling, explanation
    I actually like this design - it has some real innovation.
    The swing keyboard should slide and swing for landscape and portrait forms.
    Some specs are cool – like the dual batteries, Micro HDMI + hdmi out and digital compass.
    Nice job!
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    I actually like this design - it has some real innovation.
    The swing keyboard should slide and swing for landscape and portrait forms.
    Some specs are cool – like the dual batteries, Micro HDMI + hdmi out and digital compass.
    Nice job!
    thanks, that wierd lookin last picture i have up is actually the design of how the track would work, which would allow it to actually be a regular portrait slider, but you get the major benefits once completly saved. =)
    Hi h2o826.. your posts were hitting our Moderated filter (spam filter wasn't sure if it was real or spam). I've approved the posts, so you shouldn't have issues - but if you do, PM us.
    And the price? 1000 bucks?
    nice drawing. Well thought out. That's a long list of features to cram in to one phone.
    Nice. If it would hold together (based on Palm's record for Oreo, I'm not sure ) it would be a nice way to have a landscape screen with an easier to span (read: one-handed) portrait keyboard. I do have to say that picture of the phone back with the screen sideways makes me think of a koala..
    I like the carbon fiber casing, and the laser is a nice addition too; you can do alot with a laser. Most of the robots I work with at Chrysler use lasers and cameras.
    Infared is sweet too, then it can be used as a remote.
    Dual batteries is probably my favorite idea.
    Oh, 4g and front facing camera is a must. HPalm has to add them. I hope they're reading alot of these mockups.
    Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    I really cant get behind this unless I see/feel a working model... I think you put the time in on this one but I think I would pass on this just at a passing glance...
    Ħ╬čųβĢΔ
    Sent from my HTC Evo 4G
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alvaro_qc View Post
    And the price? 1000 bucks?
    if i were to predict a price for the phone brand new w/out contract would be around $599.99 or so just like the price of the pre when it came out.

nice drawing. Well thought out. That's a long list of features to cram in to one phone
    these features for the most part are already in in the iPhone, Driod X/2 (other driods), Evo and Epic 4g already, the only difference here is i added slight more memory (same compared to iphone), and a dual core and a dedicated gpu (one of nvidias new Tegra's), other than that if you take a look at a phones full specification list you will see most of these features, as for price, hardware is cheap, vz gives away brand new driod phones for free w/contract.

Nice. If it would hold together (based on Palm's record for Oreo, I'm not sure ) it would be a nice way to have a landscape screen with an easier to span (read: one-handed) portrait keyboard. I do have to say that picture of the phone back with the screen sideways makes me think of a koala..
    I do not have either a pre or pixi, im still holding on to my TealOS centro, but i did get the idea from my bros pre with the oreo effect. I am just waiting for him to break his phone so i can oreo it to check out the feel of the savior. Although the track that was designed (or atleast in my head) would make it not oreo, slide up like portrait, and use it that way, or go all the way and turn it to lock into savior mode. so i understand what your saying H-Cubed.

@tany: i forgot to mention remote! thats why i put long range, like the remote program i have on my centro, it works awesome , you just gotta be 3 feet away from tv.

It does kinda look like a koala =) thanks everyone for viewing and commenting so far, keep the ideas coming, i would like to build on this, i also got a handful of ideas of some new webOS features.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    so this contest was basically about putting as much as possible into one phone? why not put a hydrogen oxygen fuel cell in there, too?
    keep it real
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    The contest was about what "I" think the next palm phone should be, non of this is farfetched.

Quote Originally Posted by hartmund View Post
    so this contest was basically about putting as much as possible into one phone? why not put a hydrogen oxygen fuel cell in there, too?
    keep it real
    some people dont quite understand that, jsut because i have a long list does not mean its not possible, you have to go to a site like phonedog,com or phonearena,com, even sprint,com (better than all other carriers on specs) lists the full specs on their phones. MOST new smart phones have this, check out the epic4g, then come back and post, it has the wifi, 6 axis, lite sensor, people need to know how to find the info about phones before posting. I was just more detailed than some of the other mock-ups which i think is fine, other people just listed 5 major features, i wanted to be specific. check out iphone, all driod phones, evo and epic. and you will see what i am talking about.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    as you said, those features are in a couple of other phones but no other phone has all those features united AND is only 600bucks. you would propably need a zillion people to buy it keep the price this low.
    all i wanna say is, there is no point in a best-feature-phone-contest (which i donīt think this is). itīs not hard to google the newest innovations and just list them.
    your design ideas are ok, nothing against that.
    I actually had a similar idea about the rotating screen but I thought how that would be implemented without having problems larger than the oreo effect some have with just the portrait slider. I think a lot of people would be hesitant to buy a Palm phone with a lot of moving parts. They don't seem to have the best track record in that regard. But all in all nice job.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    yar i would have to agree with you hartmund, not all of the basic features exisit in one phone, but when i was thinkin of the next Hpalm super phone, thought of best they could make, its kinda like why put in a 5mp camera when you could put an 8? it is slighty innovative to add the top of the line features of all phones into one. i have been waiting for something like this, ive had this list of what i would add to next palm phone for over 2+years, then they came out w/pre, and i would keep buildin the list as the tech grew. i think. it still cant be that expensive, i remember an article once on precentral comparing the costs of all the parts between iphone, pre, htc pro2, and some other phones, the most expensive thing for the pre was $40 for the screen, the other things are pennies on the dollar, most is probably licencing or operating fees. thanks for the feed back everyone keep em coming, its good to stir up conversation of new palm phones/superdevices to keep palm alive and to keep hpalm lookin at these posts for ideas.