1.    #1  
    My entry for the next generation HP Palm WebOS phone is The Chameleon. The Chameleon brings to the table something new that comes from something old, Chameleon Glass.

First, here is the drawing of the basic form of the phone. The Chameleon is similar to the Pre in that it is a slider phone.

https://sites.google.com/site/prezys...erview%20S.jpg

The specs for this phone are as follows:
    * 1.2 GHz processor
    * Dual dedicated graphics processors (one high speed, the other low speed)
    * 768 MB RAM
    * 16 GB Internal Storage
    * Internal storage expandable via Micro SD card
    * Screen size of 3.625" with 410 X 580
    * Dimensions: 3 & 13/16" tall X 2 & 7/16" wide X 7/16" thick
    * Chameleon Glass keyboard
    * Trackball button
    * Volume Stick
    * Replaceable 1850 mAh battery
    * Dual band radio (CDMA & GSM)
    * 802.11 b/g/n
    * Keyboard locking
    * 4 Megapixel cameras (front and back)
    * Blue tooth
    * Micro USB port
    * Integrated Touchstone Back (lower half of back has the mag coil)

Now lets talk about this new feature, Chameleon Glass. It differs in that the keyboard is and isn't a physical keyboard. It is a touch screen. Only providing black/white/grey scale images, it uses human touch to register presses. It also brings back the old Palm Graffiti style of data entry with an updated twist. Since it is an LCD screen, software can now alter the keyboard to the needs of the moment. Games would have customized keyboards for example. To keep responsiveness of the keyboard fast, a graphics processor (the low speed one) is dedicated to it. Rotating the phone (either right or left or inverted), in turn rotates the keyboard to the proper orientation of the moment. When the Graffiti mode is used, the corners of the glass have special functions that turn the entire glass into a graffiti area or bring back the keyboard (for example upper right triangle expands to full alpha area, upper left switches to full numeric/symbols).

https://sites.google.com/site/prezys...0views%20S.jpg

Most of the rest of the features should be familiar to Palm Pre users.

https://sites.google.com/site/prezys...s%20v2%20S.jpg

Here is the rundown on the labels in the detail diagram:
    A - Volume Stick. This volume control is a rubbery stick that when pushed up or down adjusts the volume. Pressing it for more than one second during a phone call mutes the microphone. A double tap within 2 seconds when the music app is playing, turns off the speaker or headset (or turns it on if muted).
    B - Trackball button - similar to the button on the Pre and Pixi, pressing performs similar function, but rolling will move the cursor around the screen for cut & paste functions.
    C - Camera(s) front and back. These are 4 megapixel. The rear camera has a flash similar to the Pre.
    D - Power switch
    E - Mute Switch
    F - Headset plug
    G - Microphone
    H - Speaker
    I - Mirror surface and battery cover. Under this cover is a removable battery.
    J - Micro SD port. Located in the bottom half of the slider, this allows memory expansion. Being inside the slider, the slot is protected when the phone is closed.
    K - Keyboard locks. Positioned on either side of the mirror, in the keyboard tracks are the locks. Simple push in/push out tabs, these can be used to lock the phone in the open position, preventing accidental closing of the phone during those exciting moments of battle gaming.
    L - Micro USB port
    M - Phone earpiece and proximity detector.
    N - Integrated Touchstone coil

Well there it is, I hope you like it and will vote for the new HP Palm Chameleon!

Ken Mays
    Pre-zy Software
    Last edited by Ken M; 10/15/2010 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Added Integrated Touchstone support
    Author of Exch-Calc, Dog Years, Cat Years and all future creations of Pre-zy Software. Available in the Application Catalog.
    Just one comment:

The TI OMAP4 processors can drive up to 3 simultaneous displays - SO, you dont need to dedicate your GPU for the Chameleon glass software keyboard.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

3.    #3  
    Great! I didn't know that. Saves some more space and power probably too.
    Author of Exch-Calc, Dog Years, Cat Years and all future creations of Pre-zy Software. Available in the Application Catalog.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken M View Post
    The specs for this phone are as follows:
    * 1.2 GHz processor
    * Dual dedicated graphics processors (one high speed, the other low speed)
    * 768 MB RAM
    * 16 GB Internal Storage
    * Internal storage expandable via Micro SD card
    * Screen size of 3.625" with 410 X 580
    * Dimensions: 3 & 13/16" tall X 2 & 7/16" wide X 7/16" thick
    * Chameleon Glass keyboard
    * Trackball button
    * Volume Stick
    * Replaceable 1850 mAh battery
    * Dual band radio (CDMA & GSM)
    * 802.11 b/g/n
    * Keyboard locking
    * 4 Megapixel cameras (front and back)
    * Blue tooth
    * Micro USB port
    why would the res be 410 x 580? that doesn't match up with the pre's. I mean, sure Palm could invest in a new screen res, but why?
    I love the 1860 mAh batt. even though its being a bit too hopeful XD
    what kind of bluetooth will it support?
    oh and I doubt Palm is going back to the non-scrolling trackball, or any trackball for that matter.
    all in all, interesting layout.
    Last edited by cmilette; 10/15/2010 at 06:21 PM.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by cmilette View Post
    768 KB ram?! lolWUT.
    sure, if you're only gonna take notes or something. bahaha.
    why would the res be 410 x 580? that doesn't match up with the pre's. I mean, sure Palm could invest in a new screen res, but why?
    I love the 1860 mAh batt. even though its being a bit too hopeful XD
    what kind of bluetooth will it support?
    oh and I doubt Palm is going back to the non-scrolling trackball, or any trackball for that matter.
    all in all, interesting layout.
    WHOA - Busted on a typo! Updated to 768 MB.
  6.    #6  
    I just remembered I planned to have Integrated support for the touchstone. Added it to the list. I wonder how many more features I'm going to remember to add in before midnight?
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Fantastic work!!!!! Me likie!!!!!
    Very interesting. Would love to see a phone like this one day.
    Very nice, too bad you can't get someone to render a version for ya. Love to see what both displays would look like in 3D.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by mayo1024 View Post
    Very nice, too bad you can't get someone to render a version for ya. Love to see what both displays would look like in 3D.
    Sure would be nice. I was considering doing something more with my idea, but then a couple of days ago, I changed the design dramatically so time for a rendering went to zero. Maybe if I win, someone who is much faster than I could do it real fast. I'm definitely not the fast one in that realm.
    Nice ideas... personally, I'd lose the trackball.. but great concept and well laid out
  12.    #12  
    One of the things I've thought about with the name Chameleon and the concept of what Chameleon Glass does, is what marketing angle could be used. Here's a couple of ideas I have. Perhaps you have more.

The Chameleon. Blending in with your needs. Business needs. Games. Productivity. Your Life.

Another idea was this video. Have the phone laying on a white background, slowly rotating, jazzy music playing. A shadowy white chameleon crawls in from the side and up, over, and around the phone. As the phone activates and moves from one app to another, changing orientation, the chameleon matches the image below from both the main screen and the keyboard glass. As the lizard crawls off frame the image fades to black with the white text "Finally, a phone that keeps up with your changing life". Then the logo(s) and name appear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken M View Post
    One of the things I've thought about with the name Chameleon and the concept of what Chameleon Glass does, is what marketing angle could be used. Here's a couple of ideas I have. Perhaps you have more.

The Chameleon. Blending in with your needs. Business needs. Games. Productivity. Your Life.

Another idea was this video. Have the phone laying on a white background, slowly rotating, jazzy music playing. A shadowy white chameleon crawls in from the side and up, over, and around the phone. As the phone activates and moves from one app to another, changing orientation, the chameleon matches the image below from both the main screen and the keyboard glass. As the lizard crawls off frame the image fades to black with the white text "Finally, a phone that keeps up with your changing life". Then the logo(s) and name appear.
    very cool concept! I would buy it. and the marketing ideas are catchy. sounds like something that would sell alot of phones and make webos and oalm get the credit they deserve.