1.    #1  
    I am wondering, given the camera must take pictures with the same back as the stock pre, how much of an improvement is possible.

I'm specifically talking autofocus and light gathering here. Ie optics and sensor tech.

any cellphone camera experts want to hypothasize on the possibility of improved optics and sensors on the pre2?

I feel that a signigicant camera improvement along with the hardware re-design and doubled clockspeed, make would make this a "true" pre2 rather than a Plus Plus.

a note on mega-pixels from my point of view, YMMV
    More mega-pixels are nice for marketing, but unimportant in cellphones, and can acually be a bad thing as optics and sensor size (ie light gathering) are the real bottleneck at these sizes.
    Last edited by windzilla; 10/15/2010 at 01:39 PM.
  2.    #2  
    bump
    I think the light senor for the Pre is built right into the optics itself.

So, there could be MUCH improvement if they inserted a new CCD with better light sensing capabilities.

Plus autofocus is one of those things that just doesnt work very well on tiny lenses. Honestly its better without it.

I really think that the Pre2 should have double everything the Pre had, hence the "2"

-1ghz Processor
    -512mb RAM (ok so this is only double the original Pre)
    -6MP camera
    -32GB of storage space (double the Pre+)
    -When you press a key, it types the letter 4 times (double the Pre+) lol jk
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    I think the light senor for the Pre is built right into the optics itself.

So, there could be MUCH improvement if they inserted a new CCD with better light sensing capabilities.

Plus autofocus is one of those things that just doesnt work very well on tiny lenses. Honestly its better without it.

I really think that the Pre2 should have double everything the Pre had, hence the "2"

-1ghz Processor
    -512mb RAM (ok so this is only double the original Pre)
    -6MP camera
    -32GB of storage space (double the Pre+)
    -When you press a key, it types the letter 4 times (double the Pre+) lol jk
    The only reason I want autofocus is for bar code reader apps.
    There is no mention of the camera being any better on the Pre2. You might have to wait for the real device (HP/Palm collaboration) early next year.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    it doesnt need to be THAT much better. I am not expecting HD video recording, or anything like that, but 5mp and auto focus will be fine
    autofocus and light focus would be nice. DON'T need it for barcode scanning. My ipod touch does it perfectly fine. It's the type of barcode scanning we have that's the problem. We need an api that allows live camera scanning not taking a picture.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Heck, I'll be happy with 3MP and auto-focus (I wouldn't mind a bar-code reader either). Who really prints their camera photos? Not many. 3MP is just good enough for an 8x10 printout if you must. 5MP will allow for some cropping. What matters is the QUALITY of the shot. I'd rather have a GOOD 3MP shot than a mediocre 10MP shot. There's too much noise in the dark, but then I really can't expect much from a tiny CCD.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    I don't carry around a dedicated camera for pics or vid and would love for this phone to have a decent camera with good low light sensitivity, HD recording would be nice but only if it's good quality. That would probably be enough to get me to upgrade instead of holding out hope for the next super phone
    check my webos facebook group http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=129304747081175

help me reach my goal to be the first non celebrity on twitter with 1 million followers http://www.twitter.com/darkproteus66

LONG LIVE HOMEBREW!!!