Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    So I've been talking to my insider to exactly why we're seeing leaks for the Pre 2 as a similar device and not seeing a newer device. I wanted the full story, and he tried to get as much information as possible from his buddies he works with in design/development.

Here is his explanation:
    The Palm Pre 2 was suppose to be release in July as a refresh to the current models. It got pushed way back due to the merger. HP decided that they still wanted to release the device as a refresh similar to Motorola and the Droid 2. This is why Sprint will not be carrying it until 2011. Sprint wants a 4G Smartphone device from HP, and the Pre 2 would not be able to support that with the current refreshed model. The devices Roadrunner and Roadrunner HD are NOT part of the current Pre refresh. Roadrunner is not the Pre 2. He did not find the codename for it, but it could be Mansion. WebOS 2.0 is scheduled to be release in November, and I still think the new device will be released in early/mid November.

HP once again pushed back the release date for the device I has specified in the earlier C40 thread. The lack of screens manufactured, time in which HP was able to sink money into Palm for screen orders and TI is behind in chip production of the OMAP4430.

So the quick info is. Refresh Now, January you get 3 devices (PalmPad, and 2 new phones).
    Sprint Palm 2 - Developer Mode - 2.1.0
    makes sense, though at this point putting out the pre 2 on one carrier, and the one carrier that dosent support your product is kind of dumbfound to me. Hopefully the next waive of devices are all revamped models (not cheap upgrades of old material) with quality material, and specs. So heres hoping a early Q1 2011 release on all carriers.
    While all of this sounds perfectly plausible and even likely, the inability to see where Sprint was heading with their high end lineup (big screen 4G phones) and to have a device ready for them is yet another boneheaded move that will cost them in the long run. They essentially left the bulk of their Sprint customers - all eligible for upgrades - at the mercy of Evo and Epic for 6 uncontested months. Obviously, the sales of both devices have been rather healthy and Sprint isn't adding THAT many customers, so Sprint has been converting plenty of former Pre owners - a good number of whom will likely not come back.

The Droid 2 makes sense because it is a recent refresh of a SUCCESSFUL device. This is basically the Blackberry Storm 2 (or arguably the upcoming Storm 3). On the flip side, I wonder how long it takes to make the search engine and maps default to Bing on WebOS....
    Anyword on the pre 2 for at&t? I just got the pre plus last week, but I don't want to wait until next year to have a webos phone. If it's comic to at&t in novemeber than I will return the pre plus to get the pre 2. Also, what about price?
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
    also if this is the rumored phone that was going to be launched back in july on sprint, then according to those rumored sources that phone was supposed to be 4G. In fact they stated it was going to be sprints 2nd 4G phone after the EVO, so im alittle skeptical about, if HP/palm are deciding to bring this so called refresh to the states, then why like the above stated it took them 6 months to add a chip and glass screen. Doesent make sense to wait until nov-dec to release a refresh of a failed device (like the storm) to a vender who dosent care for it, to loose more money, and add more inventory to another carriers stock. Why would Verizon even want this device themselves is my question?
    While what you said sounds like the most plausible explanation offered so far, this statement concerns me:

Quote Originally Posted by NitOxYs View Post
    The devices Roadrunner and Roadrunner HD are NOT part of the current Pre refresh. Roadrunner is not the Pre 2. He did not find the codename for it, but it could be Mansion.
    The image data for the Pre 2 said it was the Roadrunner, and the pictures dated back to June 2010. It sounds like the Pre 2 is Roadrunner, but there are other devices waiting to be released.

CES 2011 it is. Can't wait! If these new phones have the TI OMAP4430, they are going to be sweet must-haves.
    Hp is pushing WebOS to their buisness accounts. They probably wanted a fresh device to offer in group packages. Verizon makes since for these type of offers. You have to remember HP makes most its money through corporate accounts. WebOS 2 is supose to be more buisness friendly with Push and better security measures. HP probably is banking the BB will continue to slide, giving them a way back into the market. Then in 2011, they will adress the needs of consumers with two brand new devices.
    So the devices in January...... Which carrier(s)?

And thanks nitoxys, I have always enjoyed your posts.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crawdaddct View Post
    Hp is pushing WebOS to their buisness accounts. They probably wanted a fresh device to offer in group packages. Verizon makes since for these type of offers. You have to remember HP makes most its money through corporate accounts. WebOS 2 is supose to be more buisness friendly with Push and better security measures. HP probably is banking the BB will continue to slide, giving them a way back into the market. Then in 2011, they will adress the needs of consumers with two brand new devices.
    this
    also don't forget that even at launch the pre was better than the storm and storm 2. maybe launching it with real advertising may help it get some sales. I do not want bing as default anything on webOS
    check my webos facebook group http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=129304747081175

help me reach my goal to be the first non celebrity on twitter with 1 million followers http://www.twitter.com/darkproteus66

LONG LIVE HOMEBREW!!!
    oh and dont forget along with bing, no GPS, Verizon's version of htc sense, and a marketing campain involving Goats.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    I would have gotten the refresh Pre 2 if it had been offered in July because you knew anything else would take a while to push out due to the merger. At this point, & based on the news/rumors you just gave, I will at least wait to see what the other devices are to make up my mind what to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by crawdaddct View Post
    They don't make most of their money through smartphones to corporate accounts, and a Pre 2 is not going to change that. Keep in mind that while Apple and RIM both lost some marketshare this year, they each sold MORE phones than they did last year. RIM is not yet "starting to slide" much less continuing.

And if there's a business alternative OS to RIM that large corporations are looking at, it's Windows Phone 7. I work for one of the largest retailers around, and our app plans are as follows: 1)iPhone app first, followed by 2) Android app, followed by Windows Phone 7.

We actually use many HP products, but they are on NO ONE's radar for business phones.
    Thinks ( IMO) pre 2 needs to sell at all.
    1. Better hardware than original pre/+
    we kno it has a better proc. And
    hopefuly screen (glass is almost a
    must) but slider, keyboard,camera
    etc.
    2. Marketing... Football commercial during this time of yr is almost a must primetime games are a good start as they hav the most viewing audiences
    3. Low price. I agree w most that a price over 150$ will be overpriced considering for 50$ more you can get any 4" android phone.. Or iphone....

It may be a little to late for this pre 2 but with web os 2.0 and a good marketing campaign I see no prob why they shouldnt sell... Espec. At a 99-150 $ price range ...
    Quote Originally Posted by gilbertg4x4 View Post
    Thinks ( IMO) pre 2 needs to sell at all.
    1. Better hardware than original pre/+
    we kno it has a better proc. And
    hopefuly screen (glass is almost a
    must) but slider, keyboard,camera
    etc.
    2. Marketing... Football commercial during this time of yr is almost a must primetime games are a good start as they hav the most viewing audiences
    3. Low price. I agree w most that a price over 150$ will be overpriced considering for 50$ more you can get any 4" android phone.. Or iphone....

It may be a little to late for this pre 2 but with web os 2.0 and a good marketing campaign I see no prob why they shouldnt sell... Espec. At a 99-150 $ price range ...
    Oh man if this were to hit at a $99 price point with a ad blitz i think it would sell like hotcakes. Now is HP going to be able to get the carriers to sell this device at this price point?
    check my webos facebook group http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=129304747081175

help me reach my goal to be the first non celebrity on twitter with 1 million followers http://www.twitter.com/darkproteus66

LONG LIVE HOMEBREW!!!
    Well I dnt see why not after all their using all the leftover pre batteries and bak cover (but hopefully not keyboards and sliders lol) the only prob. With that is if they hav a lower end coming in the "Broadway" (pixie 2? But w slider) then where would it leave that for price range unless the pixie 2 has a very nice spec bump and screen reso then maybe they can sell them for the same price... I think a pixie 2 with 3 in screen or less slider... Would make a very nice beginner phone and would fit anywhere...
    Quote Originally Posted by gilbertg4x4 View Post
    Well I dnt see why not after all their using all the leftover pre batteries and bak cover (but hopefully not keyboards and sliders lol) the only prob. With that is if they hav a lower end coming in the "Broadway" (pixie 2? But w slider) then where would it leave that for price range unless the pixie 2 has a very nice spec bump and screen reso then maybe they can sell them for the same price... I think a pixie 2 with 3 in screen or less slider... Would make a very nice beginner phone and would fit anywhere...
    Pixi 2 not confirmed yet but I don't think they should go any lower end than this and if they do it had better be free on contract or no more than 50

LONG LIVE HOMEBREW!!!
    hey very odd i thought id share:

I emailed HP a couple of days ago, asking about new versions of phones that may be coming out this year. I advised them that I work for a corporation that contracts through sprint, and alot of them carry the first palm pre handset. They responded and I quote," thank you being interested with the very handy and faster Palm Pre 2 (sprint version). I understand that you are interested in the availablity of this wounderful mobile gadget. I can help you with this by referring you to the authority over our mobile phone products and accessories"

it goes on to where to ask that specific question, I dont know if this means anything or not but though Id share, because we all know sprint only has one version and she put in quotes the sprint version.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    hey very odd i thought id share:

I emailed HP a couple of days ago, asking about new versions of phones that may be coming out this year. I advised them that I work for a corporation that contracts through sprint, and alot of them carry the first palm pre handset. They responded and I quote," thank you being interested with the very handy and faster Palm Pre 2 (sprint version). I understand that you are interested in the availablity of this wounderful mobile gadget. I can help you with this by referring you to the authority over our mobile phone products and accessories"

it goes on to where to ask that specific question, I dont know if this means anything or not but though Id share, because we all know sprint only has one version and she put in quotes the sprint version.
    Depending on what is announced at CES next year I may get a pre 2 if it does end up coming to sprint. Not going to make a purchase till after the HP and Palm keynotes

LONG LIVE HOMEBREW!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by NitOxYs View Post
    So I've been talking to my insider to exactly why we're seeing leaks for the Pre 2 as a similar device and not seeing a newer device. I wanted the full story, and he tried to get as much information as possible from his buddies he works with in design/development.

Here is his explanation:
    The Palm Pre 2 was suppose to be release in July as a refresh to the current models. It got pushed way back due to the merger. HP decided that they still wanted to release the device as a refresh similar to Motorola and the Droid 2. This is why Sprint will not be carrying it until 2011. Sprint wants a 4G Smartphone device from HP, and the Pre 2 would not be able to support that with the current refreshed model. The devices Roadrunner and Roadrunner HD are NOT part of the current Pre refresh. Roadrunner is not the Pre 2. He did not find the codename for it, but it could be Mansion. WebOS 2.0 is scheduled to be release in November, and I still think the new device will be released in early/mid November.

HP once again pushed back the release date for the device I has specified in the earlier C40 thread. The lack of screens manufactured, time in which HP was able to sink money into Palm for screen orders and TI is behind in chip production of the OMAP4430.

So the quick info is. Refresh Now, January you get 3 devices (PalmPad, and 2 new phones).
    Who knows if this will turn out to be true but it does make as much if not more sense then anything else I've read lately. To clarify, though, under this scenario will the Pre 2 be coming at all to Sprint or will the first new Sprint model be something new? I'm actual one of the seemingly few launch-day Sprint Pre customers who would prefer the current form factor to the larger EVO style slab.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast