Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Everyone seems to be pretty upset with the recent leaks. A lot of members are saying the Pre 2 isn't the super device they were hoping for. First off, I find it kind of funny that people beg for a leak, then get mad when it arrives. Here is my simple analysis of the future webOS devices.

Pixi 2: Going after the teenage crowd / people on a budget. A small, less powerful webOS device. Think of it as our Blackberry Curve.

Pre 2: Enterprise oriented webOS device. WebOS will do so well with the suits. Corporations and businessmen aren't too pleased with their Blackberries and I think it is time for a change May not be the highest resolution, or the best camera, or the fastest processor, but it is what many people need. Also, many corporations don't allow their employees to have cameras on their phones to begin with, which is why many Blackberries come with that option.

Prime?: This is what we have been waiting for. I am guessing this will be a 3.5-3.7in with a retina busting 640x960 resolution. Possibly a front facing camera for video chat and an 8MP rear camera. This will be the direct competitor to the iPhone.

Pad: This is what everyone is expecting, a 8-10in slate. No surprises here.

Regardless of what happens, do we really need the highest res and the fastest processor on our phones when we also have a 9in tablet with us? I want my phone to be a communicator, something that can email, tweet, SMS, and call. All in all guys, it is fun to guess and debate on what is going to happen, but the bottom line is, we will never know until it happens. Jon Ruby will be good to us, he knows what we want.
    Last edited by Schmid7y; 10/13/2010 at 12:18 PM.
    I'm very excited to see it looks like they will continue to offer the Pre form factor. It's one of the many things I love about my Pre. I can't wait to get the Pre2 in my shirt pocket where my Sprint Pre- goes.

Also, I hope Rod and his band of genius-geeks get right to work on over-clocking the new 1G CPU to something like 2 or 2.5G!
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Yeah, I am a bit conflicted as I want a bigger screen, but I also love the current form factor & the ability to put the phone in any pocket due to the size. 3.7"? would that still fit in a shirt pocket?
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by RJKinsman View Post
    I'm very excited to see it looks like they will continue to offer the Pre form factor. It's one of the many things I love about my Pre. I can't wait to get the Pre2 in my shirt pocket where my Sprint Pre- goes.

Also, I hope Rod and his band of genius-geeks get right to work on over-clocking the new 1G CPU to something like 2 or 2.5G!
    I agree. Even if the "Prime" comes true, I may lean towards the Pre 2 just because I love the form factor. If they give it a glass screen and get rid of the shiny plastic back of the pre minus, it will be beautiful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
    Yeah, I am a bit conflicted as I want a bigger screen, but I also love the current form factor & the ability to put the phone in any pocket due to the size. 3.7"? would that still fit in a shirt pocket?
    I agree, but think of this: would you really need a 3.7-4.3 in screen on your phone when you have an 8in tablet?
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmid7y View Post
    I agree, but think of this: would you really need a 3.7-4.3 in screen on your phone when you have an 8in tablet?
    Ha! Actually, I think 3.7" would be perfect, if it still fits in the pockets. I have held the EVO--too big for me.

In terms of the tablet, I don't think I would want a 7" like some are coming out, but 9-10" would be good. Maybe 8"--I would have to check it out.
  6.    #6  
    Ha! Actually, I think 3.7" would be perfect, if it still fits in the pockets. I have held the EVO--too big for me.

In terms of the tablet, I don't think I would want a 7" like some are coming out, but 9-10" would be good. Maybe 8"--I would have to check it out.
    I really do think 3.2-3.5 is the sweet spot. Personal preference though, which is why there will be multiple devices
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    ahhh I hate the idea of 8 in tablet. I want 10 so it will be a direct in between of my laptop and my pre. The galaxy tab just looks and acts like a giant phone. I want something that seems totally different. Also I see the tablet as the ultimate couch companion so it must have flash on it. I want to know if the phones never get flash is it possible that the tablet webos will? If not I'll be getting a windows 7 slate.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    I really do think 3.2-3.5 is the sweet spot. Personal preference though, which is why there will be multiple devices
    Your smaller preference on screen size could work for me, but I would have to see it & test it out. W/a better resolution, it could work. Like most of us, I have tested some 3.5 (fruit) to 4" (epic) phones. The form factor will have a big impact on the over all size (will it fit comfortably in the pocket). I don't know for sure, but it seems like 3.5" could work w/our form factor w/just a minor size increase in the device.

Agree on multiple devices. Spend any time on these forums & you learn that everyone wants something different & consider different things critical to their contentment w/the device.
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Everyone seems to be pretty upset with the recent leaks. A lot of members are saying the Pre 2 isn't the super device they were hoping for. First off, I find it kind of funny that people beg for a leak, then get mad when it arrives. Here is my simple analysis of the future webOS devices.

Pixi 2: Going after the teenage crowd / people on a budget. A small, less powerful webOS device. Think of it as our Blackberry Curve.

Pre 2: Enterprise oriented webOS device. WebOS will do so well with the suits. Corporations and businessmen aren't too pleased with their Blackberries and I think it is time for a change May not be the highest resolution, or the best camera, or the fastest processor, but it is what many people need. Also, many corporations don't allow their employees to have cameras on their phones to begin with, which is why many Blackberries come with that option.

Prime?: This is what we have been waiting for. I am guessing this will be a 3.5-3.7in with a retina busting 640x960 resolution. Possibly a front facing camera for video chat and an 8MP rear camera. This will be the direct competitor to the iPhone.

Regardless of what happens, do we really need the highest res and the fastest processor on our phones when we also have a 9in tablet with us? I want my phone to be a communicator, something that can email, tweet, SMS, and call. All in all guys, it is fun to guess and debate on what is going to happen, but the bottom line is, we will never know until it happens. Jon Ruby will be good to us, he knows what we want.
    Best post. Exactly what I was thinking.
    Spend any time on these forums & you learn that everyone wants something different & consider different things critical to their contentment w/the device.
    That's the problem with this place lately - everyone wants something absurd and very niche. The amount of users that want some 4in+ hyper-device is in the minority, they are just very (very) vocal about expressing their hopes and dreams. Think about it: Are the EVO, Droid X and Galaxy S phones the most popular Android phones on their carriers (well, the EVO probably is...)? No. A normal person doesn't want something pressing against half of their thigh in their pockets. Hell, a reasonable geek doesn't normally see the necessity in such a massive screen.

An incredibly large screen isn't even the limit of the absurdity discussed around here! More and more people are expecting that 4in+ screen wielding ultra-phone to have a horizontal sliding keyboard, more storage space, more RAM, an unreleased (and unmanufactured as of now) dual-core processor, a 4G radio, a battery that will last for a week, and some photon-thrashing 4000K video camera that doubles as a 18MP professional DSLR - all fitting into a package that is half an inch thick.

I used to look upon this community as a beacon of hope in this ever-expanding world of gadgets and smartphones. WebOS is something great and is backed up by some of the greatest homebrew developers this side of the Commodore64. It's truly disheartening to watch Androloids try to throw their worthless two cents around any chance they get, especially when this forum used to be nothing but supportive of Palm and webOS.
    Global Posts
    272 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nbmatt View Post
    That's the problem with this place lately - everyone wants something absurd and very niche. The amount of users that want some 4in+ hyper-device is in the minority, they are just very (very) vocal about expressing their hopes and dreams. Think about it: Are the EVO, Droid X and Galaxy S phones the most popular Android phones on their carriers (well, the EVO probably is...)? No. A normal person doesn't want something pressing against half of their thigh in their pockets. Hell, a reasonable geek doesn't normally see the necessity in such a massive screen.

An incredibly large screen isn't even the limit of the absurdity discussed around here! More and more people are expecting that 4in+ screen wielding ultra-phone to have a horizontal sliding keyboard, more storage space, more RAM, an unreleased (and unmanufactured as of now) dual-core processor, a 4G radio, a battery that will last for a week, and some photon-thrashing 4000K video camera that doubles as a 18MP professional DSLR - all fitting into a package that is half an inch thick.

I used to look upon this community as a beacon of hope in this ever-expanding world of gadgets and smartphones. WebOS is something great and is backed up by some of the greatest homebrew developers this side of the Commodore64. It's truly disheartening to watch Androloids try to throw their worthless two cents around any chance they get, especially when this forum used to be nothing but supportive of Palm and webOS.

hey i'm an "Androloids" but i dont want all those things you've said on a Palm/HP phone

im switching to webOS when my contract expires, i think webOS and this community is "!fantastic!" and to tell the truth id probably prefer to get the pre2 due to the form factor

i understand what your saying though ive read some people asking for stupid specs like 8 megpixel cameras with zeon flash and 1.3 megapixel forwarding facing cameras etc etc ..... just dont tarnish us all with the same brush.

If these people want 4+ inch phones go get them they are out just not on webOS (yet). But imho they have as much right to voice their opinion on here. If the new Palm/HP phone comes out and they dont like it they can only whinge for so long before they lose interest and stop making silly posts that annoy people like yourself

Cant wait to get a webOS phone

Mafu
    3.5-3.7in with a retina busting 640x960 resolution
    WIN!!!
    Its funny how people think the pre2 is crappy as pres can be overclocked to 1ghz..thing is the pre 2 will run a lot faster, and have much better battery life with its cpu then the the current one is when overclocked.
    I'm not impressed for sure. I've got a 1 ghz Pre now. Am looking forward to the Palm Pad though. Hoping it's a 10" screen though. These little Android tabs popping up are a joke. Too small to hardly even be called a tablet. Anything smaller than 10" is not even gonna put a dent in iPad sales.
    first they have to bring it (pre2) to the usa before anyone here can get one. and with the lackluster results the pre got with sprint , dont look for it there first . really theres no telling where it will land here in the states thats really a tough one to figure out . lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    [QUOTE=Schmid7y;2708517]Snip...
    [QUOTE=Schmid7y;2708517] Pixi 2: Going after the teenage crowd / people on a budget. A small, less powerful webOS device. Think of it as our Blackberry Curve.[QUOTE=Schmid7y;2708517]

OK

Two things:
    1: You have no clue as to the power of the BB environment. WebOS is not Enterprise ready because it has no Enterprise.
    2: Look up Good For Enterprise and beg that company to make a WebOS app. That is an easier in to the Corporate Enterprise.

Prime?: This is what we have been waiting for. I am guessing this will be a 3.5-3.7 in with a retina busting 640x960 resolution. Possibly a front facing camera for video chat and an 8MP rear camera. This will be the direct competitor to the iPhone.
    Everything PDA phone made is a direct competitor to the iPhone. Problem is none of them make a difference. Yes Android is selling well. So is the iPhone. WebOs has to overcome both. Higher screen res is good, but not enough. Study the form factors selling, none of them are like the Pre.

Yes a slate, with good form factor, good internals, and battery equivalent to iPad, or at least as close as possible.
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clintwinstead View Post
    I'm not impressed for sure. I've got a 1 ghz Pre now. Am looking forward to the Palm Pad though. Hoping it's a 10" screen though. These little Android tabs popping up are a joke. Too small to hardly even be called a tablet. Anything smaller than 10" is not even gonna put a dent in iPad sales.
    agreed! As per my post abaobe.
  18.    #18  
    Thanks for the replies guys. I agree with almost all of you. And yes, Shadavis, I do not know too much about enterprise, but I am just wondering if webOS 2.0 with the pre 2 will be a step in that direction.
    full 12 inches for me!

when you trying to go in RWW remote to your work computers much less is kind of pain
    - I have a 10" netbook and is ok for surfing, but not so good for the remote stuff

I'm sure in time they will have a good range of tablets

Pre2 is ok by me - the more I use mine, the more I realize that as cool as big is - I don't need it and in fact would probably get irritated with it. I might even go pixi - WITH A NEW NAME.
    [QUOTE=sinsin07;2709150][QUOTE=Schmid7y;2708517]Snip...
    [QUOTE=Schmid7y;2708517] Pixi 2: Going after the teenage crowd / people on a budget. A small, less powerful webOS device. Think of it as our Blackberry Curve.

OK

Two things:
    1: You have no clue as to the power of the BB environment. WebOS is not Enterprise ready because it has no Enterprise.
    2: Look up Good For Enterprise and beg that company to make a WebOS app. That is an easier in to the Corporate Enterprise.

Everything PDA phone made is a direct competitor to the iPhone. Problem is none of them make a difference. Yes Android is selling well. So is the iPhone. WebOs has to overcome both. Higher screen res is good, but not enough. Study the form factors selling, none of them are like the Pre.

Yes a slate, with good form factor, good internals, and battery equivalent to iPad, or at least as close as possible.
    I'm an IT engineer for a fortune 500 company and I can tell you there has been a mass exodus from BB and Good to Actige Sync devices. With the economy the way it has been cost cutting is happening everywhere. It is much cheaper to use Active Sync devices over a BES or Good server. Crap we dropped our Good server years ago.

Now everything is EAS. I see this trend continuing.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast