Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    OK...one of the BEST things about owning a webOS phone is the continuity between devices. Any OS update goes out to ALL webOS phones! Some get it sooner than others, based on carrier release, but we ALL get it. NO fragmentation!!

Also, unlike Apple, OS updates that add functionality, a la VIDEO RECORDING, don't require the purchase of a whole new device! This is one of the MANY reasons I LOVE webOS!!

Well, while cruising the 'net for ANY news I could find on the Pre 2...I came across this STARTLING quote from Product Review News:

"I must admit this photo disappoints me slightly as it isn’t a lot different to the original Pre, therefore it seems as if webOS 2.0 may be the real reason to buy the Pre 2, don’t forget this updated OS will not be coming to any existing Palm devices."

I hope this guy is just an *****!

"...updated OS will not be coming to any existing Palm devices"?!?

I would SWEAR when Palm broke with the info on webOS 2.0 recently, they said the update would push to ALL webOS devices...as is the norm!!

Anyone have any ideas, clarifications, or official stances from Palm on this issue? I will be one EXTREMELY unhappy webOS fan if this IS the case!!!

Praying for a misquote,

tjsongman :-/
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 10/13/2010 at 02:05 AM. Reason: text & title edited: please remember this is a family forum
    Yea, I'm pretty sure Palm said webOS 2.0 would be available for all devices. Don't believe everything you read on the internet...
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    Palm just gave pre pluses to devs, I doubt they would do that if webOS 2.0 wouldn't work on them!!!
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    ya, ease up on the drama pills mate, i'm sure we're safe...especially since HP was giving away Pre's to employees and all...
    Kind of an over-reaction there... Palm has stated that 2.0 will be an upgrade for ALL devices, not just new ones. Whoever it is you quoted simply didn't do any research. Nothing to get excited about.

<thread moved>
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Yea, I'm pretty sure Palm said webOS 2.0 would be available for all devices. Don't believe everything you read on the internet...
    wait, but I just read this on the internet, therefore I shouldn't believe, and thus should believe everything I read on the internet......but then that means I shouldn't believe the internet..which means.. Ouch, my head hurts.

I think webos 2.0 will of course be coming out for current palm devices, the question is will we get all the feature?
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
    While I feel confident that 2.0 will be backward compatible, I'm not so sure that's such a good idea in one respect. The original Pre is almost two years old since announcement. The OS should have advanced enough in two years so that at least some of its features will not work on existing hardware.

If Palm is holding back software advancement for fear of leaving behind two year old tech, that is a problem.
    You can expect an Apple-like model. That's previous gen devices updated to the inmediately next big webOS update.

--Sent from my Palm PrPrPr&#$275$; $using$ Tap@Talk for webOS
    Newness Developments apps:

I’m on Verizon – so 2.0 update will be months after it is released on “ALL” existing devices. I hope that in the future – Palm & HP will continue to keep webOS versions backward compatible even as new hardware is introduced. An operating system should be able to detect the hardware configuration and turn off or on those features that it needs to work properly on the device.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    the guy who wrote that article is an *****.
    Link?
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, “I don't need to drink to have fun.” Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    the guy who wrote that article is an *****.
    My thoughts exactly.
    I love my Pre :P

Follow me on Twitter!
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Somebody say fruit?
    "I will go in this way, but I'll find my own way out." -DMB

Dear Lord,
    Please grant me the ability to punch people in the face over standard TCP/IP.
    Amen.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    While I feel confident that 2.0 will be backward compatible, I'm not so sure that's such a good idea in one respect. The original Pre is almost two years old since announcement. The OS should have advanced enough in two years so that at least some of its features will not work on existing hardware.

If Palm is holding back software advancement for fear of leaving behind two year old tech, that is a problem.
    webOS 2.0 is all about making things work on less RAM, example, the rumored removal, of the JVM which will make the email/phone/messaging apps much faster, and boot up time will be faster, .. Point is the newer technologies Palm (actually the entire web community) is implementing are supposed to be more compact, less CPU intensive, less battery drain.
    Here is the link: Palm Pre 2: Photo and Processor Speed & RAM Info : Product Reviews Net

go hit the comments and tell this guy what an ***** his is.

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    Do you think all those fancy features in webOS 2, like multiple cards etc,, are going to run smoothly on a 1st generation non-overclocked Pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by NordicMan View Post
    Do you think all those fancy features in webOS 2, like multiple cards etc,, are going to run smoothly on a 1st generation non-overclocked Pre?
    Yep. It's not much different than how the cards system works now. Which other features were you talking about? I've played around with the current build of webOS 2.0 and haven't noticed anything that could possibly cause problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by NordicMan View Post
    I love to repeat myself on this question:

You will be very impressed, when webOS 2.0 hits your 'old' Pre(+) devices.
    Neither the Pre(+) CPU nor the GPU nor twebOS itself is slow.
    It's just the way these parts interact with each other, what is somewhat inefficient.

Could they have done it with webOS 1.0? No. The html5 technology this will use, was not yet available, nowhere.

It's all just about using the ressources efficiently. Speed, Smoothiness, Battery Life. So don't mess up your current hardware while anticipating a new one: When webOS 2.0 hits, you might suddenly want to use it much longer than you think now.

;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post

June 2009 to October 2010 is 1 year and 4 months. 4 months is not a year, nor even a half a year.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    June 2009 to October 2010 is 1 year and 4 months. 4 months is not a year, nor even a half a year.
    Some people say that the Pre's life began when it was announced in January 2009.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast