Global Posts
    272 Global Posts
    I am quite new to these forums and to tell the truth i don't own a Palm device (i own an android, nexus one), though after reading a lot on here i wish i did. I see a lot of people on here whinging that the new Palm Pre 2 device saying its not what they expected, imho i think its a nice addition to the palm range keeping people who are happy with Palm pre and don't want a top of the range device, believe it or not "some" people don't want cutting edge technology and "are happy with spec bums!

Anyway my main point is both Google, directly (nexus one) and Palm have never spent big the way Apple, Samsung, HTC and Nokia spend Billions and Billions of /$ on advertising. Both Palm devices and the Nexus One are Fantastic devices but due to no publicity they have failed in a main stream way. Luckily for Google Android has taken off BIG, which now makes it less appealing to me. I think webOS is fantastic and if anything happened to my Nexus One i wouldnt hesitate on getting a Palm in its replacement!

So with the disappointment of Googles Nexus One, due to lack of exposure i wonder what Palm/HP have in mind for the "newer" hardware. What I'm generally trying to say is when the newer hardware comes online Palm/HP must push this big i honestly think that if more people were exposed to the fantastic webOS then they would move across from whatever they have/had.

Whats anyone elses opinion on Marketing off Palm/HP webOS devices? Should they be exclusives which i totally disagree with.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    I have to say that, as someone who's actually excited about the Pre2, I'm pretty dismayed about the way HP seems to be handling the release of this product, from a publicity standpoint.

By being so uncommunicative about this upcoming product, they're allowing people to focus on the negative. Why the heck didn't they at least put a positive spin on the Pre2?

Thanks to their policy of secrecy until release, this phone is being described a only a "spec bump," even here on Precentral. Palm could have emphasized the benefits of the new processor, or mentioned some of the enhancements that are probably inside (extra storage? camera megapixel jump? 4G?). Most importantly, why aren't the upcoming benefits of WebOS 2.0 being described as part of the buildup to this release? Now when this phone it released, it will have to overcome this tide of initial negative publicity.

There is so much Palm/HP could have done to help build excitement for this release (including more hints about other form-factors coming soon). But instead, they've blundered into a situation where their own fans are running down their upcoming product, because those fans haven't been told about the coolness of this new phone, or anything about the phones that are planned for the near future.

Ugh. Hopefully HP learns from this disaster and adopts a more pro-active and communicative publicity strategy for the release of future products.
    Quote Originally Posted by hopfrog View Post
    I have to say that, as someone who's actually excited about the Pre2, I'm pretty dismayed about the way HP seems to be handling the release of this product, from a publicity standpoint.

By being so uncommunicative about this upcoming product, they're allowing people to focus on the negative. Why the heck didn't they at least put a positive spin on the Pre2?

Thanks to their policy of secrecy until release, this phone is being described a only a "spec bump," even here on Precentral. Palm could have emphasized the benefits of the new processor, or mentioned some of the enhancements that are probably inside (extra storage? camera megapixel jump? 4G?). Most importantly, why aren't the upcoming benefits of WebOS 2.0 being described as part of the buildup to this release? Now when this phone it released, it will have to overcome this tide of initial negative publicity.

There is so much Palm/HP could have done to help build excitement for this release (including more hints about other form-factors coming soon). But instead, they've blundered into a situation where their own fans are running down their upcoming product, because those fans haven't been told about the coolness of this new phone, or anything about the phones that are planned for the near future.

Ugh. Hopefully HP learns from this disaster and adopts a more pro-active and communicative publicity strategy for the release of future products.
    That's an excellent point you've made there.