Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So we have seen the new Pre and it looks nice. It might not be the Pre a lot of people were hoping for, but it is a nice spec bump for the people who really like the current Pre form factor and just want better performance.

Now what about the Roadrunner HD? What do you guys think it will look like? I don't think it's the "Mansion" device we have been hearing about since Roadrunner HD is the codename and Mansion is a code name. They don't match up. So the Mansion is the slab keyboard-less Palm phone and the Roadrunner HD is a bigger Pre form factor with a bigger and higher res screen. I doubt they will keep the 3.1" screen and cram 960x640 pixels in there. It will probably be 3.5" or bigger.

Palm knows one of the larger requests for the Pre was for it to be bigger, to accommodate a bigger keyboard and screen. The form factor is awesome, but a bit too small for some.

Palm/HP have stated many times they have multiple form factors that they will be releasing. This makes me hopeful we will see the Roadrunner HD soon. Hopefully before CES/end of the year. It showed up in the logs months ago, we heard about it being in testing from the C40 thread, and we even had a post here about someone seeing a larger Pre type phone down in SoCal. This makes me hopeful we will see something soon.

So what do you all think? Do you think it is all B.S. and the next phone will be the Mansion? If Palm released the Roadrunner HD would you buy it?
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    I was under the impression Mansion was the new Palm Pre form factor's phone while Roadrunner was being classified as a new form factor.

Considering the Pre was codenamed something close to Mansion (House or something...) it would make sense the Pre 2's codename follows the the tradition.

Edit: It was codenamed Castle
    Last edited by alex.dobeck; 10/12/2010 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Figured it out
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    Well lets see...
    roadrunner = Pre2
    roadrunner HD = Pre HD
    Mansion = kbless device maybe Evo size
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc31 View Post
    Well lets see...
    roadrunner = Pre2
    roadrunner HD = Pre HD
    Mansion = kbless device maybe Evo size
    The mansion is probably the codename for the forthcoming tablet (which would obviously be keyboard-less).

As for a spec-bump for this new Pre 2, really, where is the spec bump? It seems like everyone on these boards is already running at ≥ 1GHz.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    As for a spec-bump for this new Pre 2, really, where is the spec bump? It seems like everyone on these boards is already running at ≥ 1GHz.
    Yeah but considering it's just a newer version chip it could very well have as strong of OC ability as the current one. Imagine 1.5 or 2GHz a year before everyone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    Yeah but considering it's just a newer version chip it could very well have as strong of OC ability as the current one. Imagine 1.5 or 2GHz a year before everyone else.
    I still don't see the major spec bump. A faster chip, nice, but what about the other lacking areas? Ex: Battery. Camera. Etc.
    The mansion is probably the codename for the forthcoming tablet (which would obviously be keyboard-less).

Yes, because a pentium 4 @ 2ghz is the same as a core duo @ 2ghz. Other the screen resolution I think it's a nice pump to te current pre form factor, if the roadrunner hd is the same with a higher res display I think it's a worthy upgrade to the current pre.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
    I still don't see the major spec bump. A faster chip, nice, but what about the other lacking areas? Ex: Battery. Camera. Etc.
    Camera specs haven't been leaked yet so we don't know about that. And battery life will be better with the new chipset, though it wouldn't have hurt if they made that bigger.
    Fernandez has a point, for all we know it could have a whole bunch of additional "features" but I wouldn't call those specs. Considering it's double the Mhz (stock), double the Ram (as compared to the original pre) and unknown amount of internal storage, The "specs" are looking pretty good.

Honestly if the OS runs perfect on 1Ghz, why double the price to get ahead by .5Mhz?
    Because it's what sells phones to the average population buying a smartphone.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 10/12/2010 at 05:20 PM. Reason: unnecessary comment
    Not the average, if that were true the iPhone wouldn't be the current leader. And there would be an obvious leader in the Android selection.

What it comes down to is they need to get the phone to cost (subsidized) between $200-$250 any more and it'd be way more expensive than the other phones available, which will turn people off, any less and it'll sound cheapy. To do this they have a set amount of parts, and jumps in front of a competitor could mean huge jumps in price.

The current difference between a 1Ghz and a 1.5Ghz mobile cpu is enough to make the phone jump higher in cost to the consumer, something that a lesser-known OS might have a hard time fighting against for the few who live on the heal of new hardware.
    Last edited by alex.dobeck; 10/13/2010 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Same as above
    I don't think the average person knows their chip speed. My wife has now idea what 1 ghz is, she just knows that I made her phone faster. (not trying to take credit, it was clearly the Internalz crew that did the work, just making a point).
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    Ok, let's talk about the Roadrunner HD. This is the device name that popped up after Roadrunner and seemed pretty clear it was a fake entry into the logs it was found in....just like the iPhone entry that was found along with a couple other crazy things. Not everything on the internetz iz realz yo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
    Ok, let's talk about the Roadrunner HD. This is the device name that popped up after Roadrunner and seemed pretty clear it was a fake entry into the logs it was found in....just like the iPhone entry that was found along with a couple other crazy things. Not everything on the internetz iz realz yo.
    Im starting to think this..
    Spec Bump according to those who wish to argue that point

http://www.simonblog.com/wordpress/w...t-540x1753.jpg
    How are they still advertising the antena as a "cool new feature", other than the aesthetics it's the worst thing about the new iPhone.
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandez21 View Post
    How are they still advertising the antena as a "cool new feature", other than the aesthetics it's the worst thing about the new iPhone.
    hey its the price for "innovation"

Maybe Roadrunner HD is what is coming to Sprint in early 2011?

But how is the Pre2 going to accommodate the HD screen? Will it expand to use the area more efficiently?

Can graffiti be used with finger in put on the screen/flatter bigger gesture area? That would be awesome - I think the average person could input much faster that way.

STILL NEEDS A NEW NAME.
    How do you make a splash with the same thing/name? Why not relaunch the Chevy Vega - it was innovative.
    I say this sure that they will have new phones besides pre/pixi - but the pre/pixi names are just bad ESPECIALLY after their not becoming blockbuster devices.
    One thing I don't understand is why Roadrunner HD has a 960x640 resolution, whereas the Mansion is reported to have 800x480. If both devices are true, then it's some massive resolution fragmentation: (Pixi/Broadway 320x400, Pre/Roadrunner 320x480, Roadrunner HD 960x640, Mansion 800x480). While SDK apps can scale, PDK apps can't really scale.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIΙ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    You don't understand it because the Roadrunner HD doesn't exist.

To piggyback off Cringer, this log popped up after the number one complaint for the Roadrunner log...it didn't have a resolution equal to the iPhone 4. Plus, why would it show up that order, ie 960x640 versus 640x960 when the Pre doesn't (you could argue that the most likely tablet Mansion is default landscape). Idk, though, maybe we're just too pessimistic.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast