Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have been reading through the comments on the recent SRF disclosures and the likelihood that we will see a revised Pre with the same general form as the current Pre as well as a slab style phone similar to the iPhone or the various Driod phones. It seems to me that is a good thing.

The current form factor is a great design to go against the Blackberry line up and HP has the clout to market to the enterprise buyers. The Pre works great on an Exchange server so the enterprise user would not need a separate Blackberry server to get full function from the device. To be enterprise friendly, webOS needs a couple more applications that HP should be able to write or provide. It really needs some robust office apps, which it sounds like will show up in webOS 2 and it needs to open forwarded .eml messages.

To me it is not a negative that HP is keeping and refining the slider design. Apple has used that strategy with the iPhone and it has been successful.

The slab form factor should be a great phone for the folks who prefer the Droid/iPhone form. As a result it will likely appeal more to the gamers and non-business users.

I think that the slab style phone will have great mass market appeal and the slider could be marketed to businesses as a BB replacement. What do you all think?
    I don't think your going to find any members here that disagree with Palm/HP releasing multiple form factors. It's the only way they have a chance at gaining more market share.

I think the issue for some of the complainers is that they wanted the shinny new fancy slab/wide screen/superphone now...instead of in January.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
  3.    #3  
    You're probably right. But, I haven't seen much discussion about the use of the Pre in a business environment. Palm really missed the boat advertising this as a "mom phone." It has the potential to be a business class phone and the business market is potentially huge.
    Yes they did go a strange route with the 'mom phone' ads... There used to be many discussions going about the business phone aspect of this device, but those died down a while ago. I use mine primarily for business use and it works great (with the exception of missing a good app for Office documents). It works seamlessly with my Exchange accounts and I love it. HP will definitely hitting that side of the marketing arena when they release new devices. I've said it before, but I'm betting CES will bring the new love for all (including business).
    I agree an update of the Pre gives HPalm a solid portrait device.

An update to the Pixi (& renaming it wouldnt hurt) would give HPalm a solid "candybar" device.

Then IF at CES HPalm releases a good Horizontal Slider phone and a Slab style (no keyboard, large screen) phone THEN will would be offering all 4 major styles of smartphones.

So, IF they update two, and release two new then that sounds like a good strategy to me!

Eric
  6.    #6  
    I agree that the Pixie needs a new name. Palm must have suffered some sort of temporary naming insanity with all the financial turmoil. I like the phone OK, but not enough to get laughed out of a meeting when someone asks me what it is. It doesn't necessarily need a "manly" name like Avenger or Raptor, but at least something more neutral than Pixie. Even my teenage daughter thinks that name is too cute for a phone.
    Last edited by digorykirk; 10/12/2010 at 10:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    I don't think your going to find any members here that disagree with Palm/HP releasing multiple form factors. It's the only way they have a chance at gaining more market share.

I think the issue for some of the complainers is that they wanted the shinny new fancy slab/wide screen/superphone now...instead of in January.
    I agree. Like I said in a previous post, this Pre 2 was in production before the merger. If they release this shinny fancy slab/wide screen/superphone in January, even March, that will be in a matter of months after a merger. That pretty damn impressive in my eyes. I dont understand why people dont see that.

My Pre Does EXACTLY What I Need It To Do, And Thats Why I Have A webOS Relationship.

Facebook: facebook.com/LordSecksie
    Twitter: @LordSecksie
    TextOne: LordSecksie
    Quote Originally Posted by digorykirk View Post
    I agree that the Pixie needs a new name. Palm must have suffered some sort of temporary naming insanity with all the financial turmoil. I like the phone OK, but not enough to get laughed out of a meeting when someone asks me what it is. It doesn't necessarily need a "manly" name like Avenger or Raptor, but at least something more neutral that Pixie. Even my teenage daughter thinks that name is too cute for a phone.
    +10 That is one thing that I think Palm really screwed up. Yes, there are a lot of guys out there who bought the phone, but there are many times that who didn't simply because of the name. Call me shallow, but if I were looking at phones and didn't know anything about webOS, I'd never even give the Pixi a glance just because of the name. To me "Pixi" gives me the impression of lightweight, simple, frilly, etc... not something I'd want. Even if you slapped that name on the Pre - I'd have never looked at it... and I don't think I'm in the minority on that one.

I totally agree that they don't have to name a device some overly-manly name, but don't kill part of your market by calling it a Disney name. They may as well have called it the "Barbie" or "FooFoo". I never understood their thinking with that one. <sigh>
    OK, on the whole business angle, my Pre does Not even work for checking my exchange Email. I have tried to raise this all over the place and no one seems to care. I don't need access to my work email as much and have learned to live without it, but for someone that really needs access to their work email, webos is a no go, at least if your company cares about security:
    WebOS Not Enforcing Exchange Hard PIN's, when will... - Palm Support Community
    To say no one seems to care is kinda harsh. This whole community is based on people caring and helping each other out. Maybe your voice just wasnt heard.

My Pre Does EXACTLY What I Need It To Do, And Thats Why I Have A webOS Relationship.

Facebook: facebook.com/LordSecksie
    Twitter: @LordSecksie
    TextOne: LordSecksie
    Quote Originally Posted by PJaE00 View Post
    To say no one seems to care is kinda harsh. This whole community is based on people caring and helping each other out. Maybe your voice just wasnt heard.
    I'm not specifically saying that no one on PC seems to care, but Palm itself. According to my company Plam has known about this issue for over a year. I have submitted a fix request before, opened a forum thread on palm's site, webchatted a couple times and not once has anyone even been able to independently confirm the problem and let me know that it would ever be fixed.
    How hard is it to make a table or query containing consecutive number entries or identical back to back numbers to disallow for a PIN. We're only talking about a 4 digit PIN it shouldn't be that hard, yet over a year from finding out about this I still can't use my phone for my corporate email / calendar.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by rich_halvorson View Post
    OK, on the whole business angle, my Pre does Not even work for checking my exchange Email. I have tried to raise this all over the place and no one seems to care. I don't need access to my work email as much and have learned to live without it, but for someone that really needs access to their work email, webos is a no go, at least if your company cares about security:
    WebOS Not Enforcing Exchange Hard PIN's, when will... - Palm Support Community
    My IT guys are pretty tough on security and compatibility and I have had no problems with Exchange. If there are Exchange issues, I agree that is a problem HP will need to address.
  13.    #13  
    PC has just announced that HP is offering the Palm phones to its employees with discounted service plans. Hopefully, the employees will be running them on the HP network and that will identify issues for business users.
    Quote Originally Posted by digorykirk View Post
    My IT guys are pretty tough on security and compatibility and I have had no problems with Exchange. If there are Exchange issues, I agree that is a problem HP will need to address.
    Just try changing your PIN to something like 1234 or 1111 and see if it allows you, then let your exchange admin know of this flaw unless you don't want him to take away access.
  15.    #15  
    We have a policy about the password I need to use to access my Exchange account, but not for the PIN on my phone. It sounds like that may be a good thing and also why I have not encountered this issue.
  16.    #16  
    Back to the form factor discussion. The newly leaked photos of the Pre Roadrunner look great. I love the glass flat screen. This will be the corporate sedan version of the phone with the sport version(s) coming this spring. I wonder that the (hopefully renamed) Pixie 2 will look like.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    The Pre COULD be good for Enterprise support except:
    1) OK Exchange support compared to BB
    2) Lack of security features (remote wipe, etc.)... although I thought I had read about something rectifying this from somewhere...
    4) No document support worth a crap (hopefully fixed in 2.0)
    5) Build quality issues - doesn't feel durable enough for a road warrior
    6) OS problems - i get a frustrating amount of lag and freezing at inopportune times. Embarrassing when someone is staring at you waiting for an answer.
    7) and last but not least, the horrible, horrible battery life compared to a BB and most Android and iDevices. I carry both a BB and a Pre and it's not fair to even compare the two. Above all else, a business user needs to be able to use the device without being tethered to a charger for long periods of time. Just my opinion.
  18.    #18  
    Good comments. I hope Palm reads these too.

I have not had some of these issues because I am mainly an office user and not a road warrior. I prefer the Exchange and e-mail support over my BB. But, BB has historically done a great job in this area. I know that the device can be wiped remotely by IT, because they wiped mine as a test before allowing it on the network. The lack of document support is unacceptable for a business device, but I have also heard that is addressed in webOS 2. The build quality has been the big issue for me. My keyboard never works right and the phone does not feel solid. This is something they will need to address in the Pre 2. The battery is a real problem for someone who cannot be on a charger off and on through out the day. Some of the comments on the Pre 2 refer to significantly improved battery life and that will be important.

The biggest issue for me is build quality. If the keyboard on the Pre 2 works and the phone feels better made, I will be first in line to get one when it comes out.
    Last edited by digorykirk; 10/12/2010 at 03:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post

I've disagreed with Palm's multiple form factors since the Pixi was announced.

There was a time and place to focus just on the Pre. That passed by a long time ago. It failed on Sprint. It failed again on Verizon. If HP was smart, they'd ditch both the Pre and Pixi and focus on ONE phone..a slab. And put everything they got into it to make it high end as possible.

When they get things (like an ecosystem) in place, get some big name apps to anchor the catalog, optimize and flesh out webOS, etc...then and only then worry about additional form factors.

Seeing the Pre 2 leaked just indicates to me that HP doesn't get it.
    I have to disagree cardfan, it would be a terrible mistake for Palm to drop the hardware keyboard. Software keyboards just don't work for everybody. I think there is enough market for both.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast