Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I've disagreed with Palm's multiple form factors since the Pixi was announced.

There was a time and place to focus just on the Pre. That passed by a long time ago. It failed on Sprint. It failed again on Verizon. If HP was smart, they'd ditch both the Pre and Pixi and focus on ONE phone..a slab. And put everything they got into it to make it high end as possible.

When they get things (like an ecosystem) in place, get some big name apps to anchor the catalog, optimize and flesh out webOS, etc...then and only then worry about additional form factors.

Seeing the Pre 2 leaked just indicates to me that HP doesn't get it.
    Sounds like you dont get it either...there are a ton of people (myself included) who prefer a keyboard (definitely portrait over landscape) over a slab with VK. I would buy a phone for the keybaord over a higher phone without a keyboard.

So the multiple form factor is the only way to go if you want ot please everyone.

Nokia (red phone) --> Denso TouchPoint TP2200 --> Samsung SPH-N400 --> (Palm VII) --> Sanyo 5150 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Pre --> Sprint FrankenPre 2 --> (HP TouchPad)/(HP Pre 3 - Wifi) --> Galaxy Nexus (with TS mod and hopes of Open webOS!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I have to disagree cardfan, it would be a terrible mistake for Palm to drop the hardware keyboard. Software keyboards just don't work for everybody. I think there is enough market for both.
    I'm not saying a kb is a bad thing. But at this beginning stage (that kind of stalled) of webOS and the shape of the ecosystem, multiple form factors to support just isn't needed.

Go with the most popular form factor (slab..sorry kb fans) and work on the more important things.
  3.    #23  
    I agree with Grabber5.0. Palm caused enough hard feelings by releasing a device with no bundled or easy way to run all the old Palm OS applications. Dropping the physical keyboard may have alienated too many of the Palm faithful to ever recover.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I'm not saying a kb is a bad thing. But at this beginning stage (that kind of stalled) of webOS and the shape of the ecosystem, multiple form factors to support just isn't needed.

Go with the most popular form factor (slab..sorry kb fans) and work on the more important things.
    There's no reason for them to do that. The Pre line already exists and just throwing spec bumps into that keeps a hardware keyboard line.

The Pixi could use more than just a spec bump. It needs a revamp to make the screen and resolution a proper scale and hardware interface adjustments to more closely match what the Pre offers.

A slab is a separate market segment and they can focus on actually making a good one while also tweaking the two existing product lines.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12