Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1.    #1  
    HP should just pay the carriers more money to pay their employees a higher commission for selling webOS devices than they pay for Android devices. Google does it, and if they can, HP definitely can. Money is power, and I'd bet my Pre that if Palm puts out some decent devices soon, there will be a nearly instant turnaround by using this method! Customers would walk into a Verizon store and hear a completely different tune from what they heard a few months ago.
    Last edited by QuarlesLT; 10/12/2010 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Fixed title
  2.    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    So, even though the average Palm smartphone is selling for a lot less than the average new Android smartphone, HP should dole out higher commissions? What kind of profitable business strategy is that? It would be better to put the smartphone business on the back burner where they are made available to core customers but not promoted very much. Kind of like what they do with the iPaq.
    "If Palm puts out some decent devices soon"
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by QuarlesLT View Post
    HP should just pay the carriers more money to pay their employees a higher commission for selling webOS devices than they pay for Android devices. Google does it, and if they can, HP definitely can. Money is power, and I'd bet my Pre that if Palm puts out some decent devices soon, there will be a nearly instant turnaround by using this method! Customers would walk into a Verizon store and hear a completely different tune from what they heard a few months ago.
    Google doesn't pay retail employees to sell Android handsets. Carriers get a revenue share from Google services on devices, just like Verizon gets a revenue share from Bing being put on devices, and AT&T has a deal with Yahoo.

    Obviously, that deal didn't make Verizon any closer or more inclined toward Microsoft products like Kin...

    As for HP paying a higher commission, it's silly at this stage. They're already paying customers with gift cards to take WebOS devices. They are paying prizes for app contests. They will likely pay a fortune in promotion to relaunch this platform. At some point, the offering has to stand on its own.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for clarifying, but I still feel HP/Palm would be successful doing what I suggested. The average consumer doesn't know HP even sells phones online now, don't go surfing the 'Net for reviews, they just decide "I want/need a new phone" and go to the store and look around (at least most of the people I know), not knowing what they want, yet. That's when the store reps instantly shove Android in their faces and tell them why they should need it.
  5. #5  
    Well, that's because it's better business. Each of the carriers except for ATT has invested branding and ad dollars on Android handsets for their flagship smartphone. Sprint's Android phones, for example, have a much higher customer satisfaction rating. They also have bigger screens and more apps which are two things customers want right now.

    It just makes sense. That's a lot of conditions HP has to change to change the situation.
  6. #6  
    I keep seeing this theme crop up in its many guises. Pay the customer to take the phone. Pay the carrier to sell the phone. Pay the advertiser to brainwash the customer so you can give them the phone that you paid the carrier to sell. It's all insanity!

    The common theme is that the phone does not stand on its own as a desirable item to the end user. Therefore, you have to pay out a lot of money to a lot of people to move the product. I always thought the object of the game was to get people to pay you for the product, not the other way around.

    You know you are starting to win when customers walk into the store and ask for your product by name, rather than a salesperson tackling the customer and coercing them to buy a particular product to earn a commission.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by evilkaneevel View Post
    I said this last year when they announced the hotapps FAIL of a program.
    I think the PDK hot apps was a fail, ONLY because 1.4.5 wasn't available when it started and even by the end was only on Sprint US Pres.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    So, even though the average Palm smartphone is selling for a lot less than the average new Android smartphone, HP should dole out higher commissions? What kind of profitable business strategy is that? It would be better to put the smartphone business on the back burner where they are made available to core customers but not promoted very much. Kind of like what they do with the iPaq.
    Yeah, and we saw how well that marketing strategy worked after HP took over the iPaq.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Well, that's because it's better business. Each of the carriers except for ATT has invested branding and ad dollars on Android handsets for their flagship smartphone. Sprint's Android phones, for example, have a much higher customer satisfaction rating. They also have bigger screens and more apps which are two things customers want right now.

    It just makes sense. That's a lot of conditions HP has to change to change the situation.
    True, you're right.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I keep seeing this theme crop up in its many guises. Pay the customer to take the phone. Pay the carrier to sell the phone. Pay the advertiser to brainwash the customer so you can give them the phone that you paid the carrier to sell. It's all insanity!

    The common theme is that the phone does not stand on its own as a desirable item to the end user. Therefore, you have to pay out a lot of money to a lot of people to move the product. I always thought the object of the game was to get people to pay you for the product, not the other way around.

    You know you are starting to win when customers walk into the store and ask for your product by name, rather than a salesperson tackling the customer and coercing them to buy a particular product to earn a commission.
    The thing is, the Pre WAS standing on its own for a little while at least, until all the hardware issues/defects made the rounds. That's part of the hole that was dug for Palm. That's why I think the bribery would work, and they should only need to do it for a short period. Then, if the hardware build quality is decent like I said, and the bribery works and gets the phone(s) into more consumers hands, word of mouth will spread and Palm's reputation about solid devices will eventually build back up, and as long as the webOS stays awesome, more new customers WILL be walking in and requesting the Palm Prime out of the gate soon enough, and sales reps won't have to fear them returning the phones for defects as much.
    Last edited by QuarlesLT; 10/12/2010 at 12:28 PM.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by QuarlesLT View Post
    The thing is, the Pre WAS standing on its own for a little while at least, until all the hardware issues/defects made the rounds. That's part of the hole that was dug for Palm. That's why I think the bribery would work, and they should only need to do it for a short period. Then, if the hardware build quality is decent like I said, and the bribery works and gets the phone(s) into more consumers hands, word of mouth will spread and Palm's reputation about solid devices will eventually build back up, and as long as the webOS stays awesome, more new customers WILL be walking in and requesting the Palm Prime out of the gate soon enough, and sales reps won't have to fear them returning the phones for defects as much.
    I have a better idea why don't Palm have sales reps station them selfs at the door on Holloween with a bag of Pre's/Pixi's and hand them out to anyone and everyone that walks in the door as treats. This will get more customers walking in to get a free phone and you'll get your word of mouth and more phones in peoples hands...problem solved next. Lol...poor Palm...lil Sarcasm.
  12.    #12  
    Haha.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by QuarlesLT View Post
    HP should just pay the carriers more money to pay their employees a higher commission for selling webOS devices than they pay for Android devices. Google does it, and if they can, HP definitely can. Money is power, and I'd bet my Pre that if Palm puts out some decent devices soon, there will be a nearly instant turnaround by using this method! Customers would walk into a Verizon store and hear a completely different tune from what they heard a few months ago.
    Good product is even more powerful. If you get your bribery scheme going and the the customer returns the phone because its crap, whats the point.

    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I keep seeing this theme crop up in its many guises. Pay the customer to take the phone. Pay the carrier to sell the phone. Pay the advertiser to brainwash the customer so you can give them the phone that you paid the carrier to sell. It's all insanity!

    The common theme is that the phone does not stand on its own as a desirable item to the end user. Therefore, you have to pay out a lot of money to a lot of people to move the product. I always thought the object of the game was to get people to pay you for the product, not the other way around.

    You know you are starting to win when customers walk into the store and ask for your product by name, rather than a salesperson tackling the customer and coercing them to buy a particular product to earn a commission.
    Well put.

    Quote Originally Posted by kinster02 View Post
    I have a better idea why don't Palm have sales reps station them selfs at the door on Holloween with a bag of Pre's/Pixi's and hand them out to anyone and everyone that walks in the door as treats. This will get more customers walking in to get a free phone and you'll get your word of mouth and more phones in peoples hands...problem solved next. Lol...poor Palm...lil Sarcasm.
    LMAO funniest thing I've heard all day!
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    You know you are starting to win when customers walk into the store and ask for your product by name, rather than a salesperson tackling the customer and coercing them to buy a particular product to earn a commission.
    But then there WERE still many people going in to stores and requesting Palm specifically and the reps started pushing them away and talking about Android because of the bad reputation of Palm, commissions, build quality, etc. There are plenty of horror stories here about that.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by QuarlesLT View Post
    But then there WERE still many people going in to stores and requesting Palm specifically and the reps started pushing them away and talking about Android because of the bad reputation of Palm, commissions, build quality, etc. There are plenty of horror stories here about that.
    Some reps did that because of commission but I know for sure others just did not think highly of the phone. They had to deal with all the returns so the horror story were true to a degree. Every single person I know that bought a Pre ended up returning it for another phone, every single one!
  16.    #16  
    That sucks, it's the opposite for me. Everyone I know loves it and still has it.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by QuarlesLT View Post
    That sucks, it's the opposite for me. Everyone I know loves it and still has it.
    I love it and I still have it but I am a techie, the people I know are not. They complained how laggy the phone was, even a system admin that works for me returned after a week. I showd him Preware and what it can do but he did not want anything to do with that, too bad, because I was the one who converted him from the iPhone, now he uses the Epic.
  18.    #18  
    Yeah, I'm sure the lag is the other big problem. If I wasn't a geek I probably would have returned it too, but hopefully webOS 2.0 will fix it.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by QuarlesLT View Post
    That sucks, it's the opposite for me. Everyone I know loves it and still has it.
    Ditto. 14 Pre's "sold" by me and I actually have one in the bag right now but since the Pre2 is out there, I told them to gimme a min to see what the time frame is before they grab the Pre+.

    Again, they basically watching me "work" @ my job and all the "Wow, what phone is that?" questions start, 5 min demo later and I should be getting free services, accessories, or something?? C'mon Sprint\Verizon, I workin' here! lol
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by QuarlesLT View Post
    But then there WERE still many people going in to stores and requesting Palm specifically and the reps started pushing them away and talking about Android because of the bad reputation of Palm, commissions, build quality, etc. There are plenty of horror stories here about that.
    Surprising as it may be, AT&T reps try to sell other phones. The few times I have been inside an AT&T store, sales people enthusiastically show other phones. The customer tells them to shut up and take their money. I get the distinct impression that iPhone commissions are not that high.

    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Ditto. 14 Pre's "sold" by me and I actually have one in the bag right now but since the Pre2 is out there, I told them to gimme a min to see what the time frame is before they grab the Pre+.

    Again, they basically watching me "work" @ my job and all the "Wow, what phone is that?" questions start, 5 min demo later and I should be getting free services, accessories, or something?? C'mon Sprint\Verizon, I workin' here! lol
    You are a fan of the Pre, driven by excitement in the platform, not commissions. No amount of money can artificially make a fan out of a salesperson. As someone who spent most of his professional life selling things, I can tell you that a commission is just another way of buying a customer. Despite the incentives, my best sales were motivated by what I believed in the most, not what I was paid the most to sell.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions