Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    This is just me speculating a little.

Many are (as expected nowadays) complaining about the Palm Pre 2 leaked by SFR. Now I wouldn't actually mind owning a CDMA version on Sprint but having a new phone released late in 2010 to only have it followed by new models by mid 2011 seems kind of odd. To me it seems more likely that the new models will supersede the Pre2 (Roadrunner) in the US market.

Here's my thinking:

• HP confirmed new hardware in the US market for 2011. Not 2010.
    • Weren't there clues that pointed to a new Pixi? Broadway? Slider!? (low-end)
    • What about the Roadrunner HD? (mid-range, wait.. hear me out)
    • We all heard about the Mansion. (high-end)

So far I see new handsets in three different price categories, not including devices we haven't heard about, coming next year (something that Rahul Sood alluded to in his tweets). I'm going to bet that the Pre2 is not the rumored Roadrunner HD. High resolution on a 3.1 screen? I don't think so. I'm also betting that the RRHD is a "Pre2+". I'm then going to speculate that HP/Palm also have a high-end physical QWERTY handset which we haven't heard about yet in the works (they've been pretty good keeping things tight-lipped). Yes, I'm going to say that the RRHD will be the first Hi-Res device in the mid-range price point. HP is going to come out swinging HARD in the North American market.

So back to my point, why release the Pre2 on US carriers in 4Q2010 only to have it replaced in 1H2011 by the RRHD? I'm going to speculate that the Pre2 will NOT come to USA/Canada. Us North Americans, like it or not, will have to wait until next year. HP essentially want to reboot the Palm brand next year at CES (think of Palm as a débutante ). Releasing mid-range refreshed devices this year won't help greatly in my opinion, if indeed they are looking to reboot. I'm hoping so. The Pre2 will not make a big enough splash in the media, which in turn will not take Palm seriously next year at CES. Don't get me wrong, for my needs, if the Pre2 comes to Sprint, I'll be the first in line.

So, where are the P102UNA and the P102EWW destined for? The rest of the world, where the Palm brand, I'm assuming, isn't as badly damaged. Contrary to popular belief, CDMA networks aren't unique to North America (ever heard of China and India?). South America is a huge market for the P102UNA (not as huge as China and India). Think about it, a "spec bumped" Pre would be at a good price point for unsubsidized global consumption. Soon we may see HP initiate a GLOBAL push for the Pre2 starting this year, most especially if the P102UEU will be available unlocked. Then next year, HP will release new devices in their 'flagship' market initiating the brand reboot. By the time production ramps up with the new 2011 devices, the global market will be clamoring for the new devices after experiencing WebOS 2.x and HP/Palm will be ready.

You heard it here first.

The only flaw I see with all this is that P102UNA stands for UMTS in North America; but South American telecoms are adopting North American UMTS frequencies (as they did with GSM). Palm hasn't changed the naming convention; but... they don't have to...
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    eww is usa cdma
    una is usa gsm
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

I agree with you whole heartedly. But to me this seemed obvious the second SFR started promoting the Pre 2.

Besides, every tip coming out now seems to be completely in line with what Sood said about many devices in 2011. All these codenames must be apart of the eventual roadmap and Palm is simply carrying out their original plan.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    eww is usa cdma
    una is usa gsm
    I know. What I'm saying is that the frequencies used in NA are used elsewhere on the globe. I did mention that Palm hasn't changed their naming convention, but that wouldn't necessarily stop them from selling these 'North American' devices elsewhere I'd imagine.
    Last edited by RafRol; 10/11/2010 at 10:30 PM.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    France gets them as punishment for being so arrogant. That, and "Pre" sounds like a french name.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by RafRol View Post
    The Pre2 will not make a big enough splash in the media, which in turn will not take Palm seriously next year at CES. Don't get me wrong, for my needs, if the Pre2 comes to Sprint, I'll be the first in line..
    Decent theory and all but... How would the Pre2 NOT make a big enough splash when...

ALL 10 WIN7 PHONES RELEASED TODAY LAUNCHED WITH...YOU GUESSED IT 1GHZ CPU'S! (and MANY of them with 8GB of storage!) I wouldn't worry about the Pre2 at all.

Windows Phone 7 handsets: spec comparison -- Engadget
    i think the pre 2 is the end up the palm roadmap pre-merger and the 2011 phones are h/palm post-merger phones.

think about it, once the R&D and time spent planning and purchasing for the pre2 was probably done months ago. so you have to carry it out or take a big wash to your bottom line.
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Decent theory and all but... How would the Pre2 NOT make a big enough splash when...

ALL 10 WIN7 PHONES RELEASED TODAY LAUNCHED WITH...YOU GUESSED IT 1GHZ CPU'S! (and MANY of them with 8GB of storage!) I wouldn't worry about the Pre2 at all.

Maybe it's because I'm starting to succumb to all the d*mn negativity in our forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post

+1000000000000

IMO, the Pre2 will be a very nice refresh of the pre. I like everything i see so far, The 1ghz with WebOS 2.0, which has said to be rather nicely optimized, should be more than enough. The only thing i worry about is build quality of the pre 2.

If the pre2 is not good enough for you then i suggest you wait a little longer for the "Roadrunner HD" to appear.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Looks like the Sanyo Zio will have a Hi-Res (480x800) screen for $100 (post rebate). Maybe the RRHD won't be the first Hi-Res device in the mid-range price point, but this proves that Hi-Res screens are already dropping in price.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krab19 View Post
    +1000000000000

IMO, the Pre2 will be a very nice refresh of the pre. I like everything i see so far, The 1ghz with WebOS 2.0, which has said to be rather nicely optimized, should be more than enough. The only thing i worry about is build quality of the pre 2.

If the pre2 is not good enough for you then i suggest you wait a little longer for the "Roadrunner HD" to appear.
    Ruby mentioned he knew once Palm as an independent was coming to an end that build quality really hurt their sales and success to be an independent.

I'm sure all that remaining $500 million cash to burn R&D went towards build quality issues. It might not have those issues anymore. But then again, time will tell.
    The Pre 2, is having a us launch.

But not what 90% of pre users want.
    Verizon will have it
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    eww is usa cdma
    una is usa gsm
    EWW can be China Mobile CDMA as well. Plenty of Verizon and Sprint units gets flashed to be used in China daily.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Carriers in India use the same CDMA frequencies as well.
    I don't understand why this phone would only be for Europe. Are you saying that the crappy phones are for developing nations, or that Europe is not worthy of a "real" upgrade? Why would the US be the only country worthy of the next, great webOS device?
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RafRol View Post

[*] Weren't there clues that pointed to a new Pixi? Broadway? Slider!? (low-end)
    I read your post the other day and this just flew straight over my head(like most things) and just hit me, that you may be correct. The logs did say 'slider=true' for the pixi broadway....hmmm and the more I look at the leaked photo, it does look a like a pixi/pre type deal. We need inspector gadget I think or call the ghost-busters or something.
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    People need to stop hanging on to the so-called Roadrunner HD. It was probably a fake, just like the iPhone entry found in that app's logs at the same time.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I don't understand why this phone would only be for Europe. Are you saying that the crappy phones are for developing nations, or that Europe is not worthy of a "real" upgrade? Why would the US be the only country worthy of the next, great webOS device?
    I didn't say any of that. Neither did I say that the Pre2 is a crappy device; I myself would get one if available states-side. I alluded to the 'next, great webOS device' being available world-wide towards the end of my post.

I did say that the Palm brand, if it is to be rebooted, wouldn't fair well with the introduction of this device in North America. In the rest of the world, the brand isn't in as bad of shape, therefore, it would make sense that this is meant for all other markets. It is, in fact, a better device than the current product line. It is just not perceived as such in the spoiled USA, hence, my assumption that it wouldn't be a good idea to sell the device before a relaunch of the brand. If HP does intend on relaunching the brand, then it will be prudent to do so with high-end devices that will be competitive in the market.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast