Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Ah...a we can breath again. I got sick and tired of reading the idiotic thread on the Pre 2. People act like this is the only phone that Palm will be pumping out. I think it is quite obvious that more form factors are coming. Further, the Pre was a great concept, just poorly executed (hardware needed to be better). This new Pre 2 looks very nice, and will probably continue to incremental improvements in the overall hardware (AT&T Pre+>Verizon Pre+>Sprint Pre). If it does that, it will sell if the marketing is there.

But, more importantly, the big push looks to be coming at CES. That's when all of these whiners will see the form factors they want.
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    Right on, Ive said it before a few times.

I very highly agree.

Either wait for whats to come,

or

buy a diffrent os.

Just that Simple
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    I think some of us are Toys'R'Us kids though.
    Quote Originally Posted by TOOLEY View Post
    Right on, Ive said it before a few times.

I very highly agree.

Either wait for whats to come,

or

buy a diffrent os.

Just that Simple
    Yea, pretty much lol. People's options are pretty simple.

Sidenote: When I saw your username, I was hoping you were going to say something mean. That way I could say something clever like "Don't be a tool, TOOLEY!" Oh well, maybe next time...
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
  5.    #45  
    Hi all,

Thank you all for your support!

For those who asked, my Mom is doing great, the Drs. are amazed. She does now need a walker, (do keep in mind that she is almost 90 has an artificial hip, two artificial knees and screws in he ankle), but otherwise she is fine mentally and physically. She still reads two newspapers a day. She is so with it, I bet she could accurately guess the Prez waist size!

Now onto the issue of Palm.....if Palm had not found HP, the Pre 2 might have been the last thing Palm ever did.

However, HP not just offered the most $, the also offered the chance to do what Palm not just couldn't do, more than likely couldn't even dream of.

That is having webOS products on almost every aspect of computing.

1. smart phones of course

2. Palmpad

3. Printers

4. Palm's touch scream technology on LCD monitors, (HP 1st attempt bombed, before they acquired Palm).

5. Laptops with both Windows and webOS, letting webOS run programs, that do not require Windows firing up and drain the battery quickly. My Lenveo laptop has in effect two operating systems. For music or video, I can choose to have Lenveo's striped down OS run the video and music, without running all of windows, since windows is both a power and resources hog!

I expect that webOS will take the place of this type of program on HP laptops, (I don't know if HP offers this on laptops rolled out before the purchase of Palm, as I have not used a HP laptop in at least 10 years, (way before MP3 and DVD's existed)).

6. webOS used in products we can't even dream about. For example webOS used on on-board automobile computers. In appliances to monitor performance of fridges IE: Your fridge learns your usage habits and adjusts energy usage.

I also agree that CES will be the most likely forum for Palm to show off it's latest products. I am sure that Palm's booths will be overflowing with employees and a very splashy presentation.

Since my contract is up in days for my Centro, I am going to wait and see what else Palm is rolling out.

Since I am on my fourth Palm phone in the last almost 9 years, I only want a "keyboarded" smart phone. My guess is that the Pre 2, will now be the mid line phone. I expect that there will be a line of webOS phones that will be offered with and without a keyboard, but will be the same "under the hood". Of course, there will also be the PalmPad.

So instead of whining, why no look at the future of Palm and feel great that Palm will carry on and that we all help Palm develop it's technology thru sites such as this.

Do keep in mind that the Pre 2 will NOT be Palm's only offering and just relax and chill out. The reason it has taken longer than many of you wanted, to roll out a new webOS phone is $. Palm in effect was broke. HP has given Palm a very bright future and by doing so is giving us a bright future as well.

Also keep in mind that I am using a 2 year old Centro, for all of you with carping about how long it has taken to get new hardware rolled out, I highly doubt it will turn into 2 years, so waiting few more weeks isn't the end of the world for any of you. I have managed quite well with my Centro, while you all had fun with webOS.

I truly laugh when I hear or read someone saying, if it doesn't do this or it doesn't do that I am leaving Palm. The 1st analogy that comes to mind is as follows:

I am disabled and therefore cannot look down at a book or hold a book without severe pain. Yet I am am a very avid reader. The Library of Congress (LOC), has program of audio or taking books, run by a division of the LOC called the National Library Service, (NLS).

The books are recorded in a proprietary format and we are lent machines by LOC/NLS. The machines belong to the Gov. This way if they break, we just send it back to the LOC/NLS and they send us a new one by US mail.

These are desktop machines. If we want a portable one, that is about the size of a deck of cards, it is up to us to buy one, they also cost approx $400! The problem is that they have souped them up so, that they have over 24 buttons.

Most of the users of the program are blind and not computer literate, (close to 60% of the several million users of the LOC/NLS are not computer literate, (but they have a family member or friend who can download books for them, which is what I do for my Mom). How are they supposed to use these players, if the are so complicated. They really only need play, FF and reverse. Not 2 dozen buttons.

Instead of making them easier to use, the next gen of one of the firms that makes them will now have a cell phone in it as well, (which of course means even more buttons). They are ignoring the largest portion of the market.

The moral of this story is that just because you can make a product do everything, doesn't mean you should. It also means that the manufacturer and the end user have to compromise on what they want in the book player OR IN A PALM SMART PHONE!

If you don't like what Palm comes out with in the next few months, (smart phones beyond the Pre 2), which were designed once Palm was bought out by HP, then just find another smartphone platform.

However, it isn't fair to the rest of us to "hear" whining or hissy fits and stopping of feet in a temper tantrum, b/c Palm's phone wont do this or that. Just go elsewhere and leave this site to the people like me, who would never even thin about any other brand!

Frankly I am dancing in the streets that Palm has such a bright future!

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Way to go, Jay! Well said and well needed to be said.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    I vote Jay for president!
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    I vote Jay for president!
    Jay for Forum Leader!
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    Very well said, Jay. Glad to hear that your Mom is doing well too! Great points!
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    people, please take a deep breath!!

1. Calm down it is a smartphone...not a failed middle east peace plan...palm almost went out of bsuiness...they did the best they could do with almost no $....if this phone is not to your liking, just wait and see what will happen once the phones and/or pad comes out that were designed now that palm has $!

2. You people are all carrying on you sound far worse than my nephews when they were 6 & 4. Just calm down a little.

3. my contract with v for my 2 years with my centro ends, this week.... For all of the carping out there...at least you have a pre...i was stuck with palmos all of this time....

4. If you don't like what palm is offering now, you have 2 choices,:

A.. Wait to see what is in the wings as i mentioned above

or

b. Buy another brand smartphone and stop *****ing and ruining this site for the rest of us!

5. A few of you need to grow up...poeple are losing their houses & jobs, my mom suffered a stroke and a heart attack last year. I was told that not to expect her to make it to the next day, at three different times, last year....she was in an inpatient rehab unit for 2 months. She is here and doing great....this is a phone, not your house, not your business and not your health.....stop crabbing and do some growing up!
    take care,

jay
    Who are you and what have you done with Jay???
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Hi all,

Thank you all for your support!

For those who asked, my Mom is doing great, the Drs. are amazed. She does now need a walker, (do keep in mind that she is almost 90 has an artificial hip, two artificial knees and screws in he ankle), but otherwise she is fine mentally and physically. She still reads two newspapers a day. She is so with it, I bet she could accurately guess the Prez waist size!

Now onto the issue of Palm.....if Palm had not found HP, the Pre 2 might have been the last thing Palm ever did.

However, HP not just offered the most $, the also offered the chance to do what Palm not just couldn't do, more than likely couldn't even dream of.

That is having webOS products on almost every aspect of computing.

1. smart phones of course

2. Palmpad

3. Printers

4. Palm's touch scream technology on LCD monitors, (HP 1st attempt bombed, before they acquired Palm).

5. Laptops with both Windows and webOS, letting webOS run programs, that do not require Windows firing up and drain the battery quickly. My Lenveo laptop has in effect two operating systems. For music or video, I can choose to have Lenveo's striped down OS run the video and music, without running all of windows, since windows is both a power and resources hog!

I expect that webOS will take the place of this type of program on HP laptops, (I don't know if HP offers this on laptops rolled out before the purchase of Palm, as I have not used a HP laptop in at least 10 years, (way before MP3 and DVD's existed)).

6. webOS used in products we can't even dream about. For example webOS used on on-board automobile computers. In appliances to monitor performance of fridges IE: Your fridge learns your usage habits and adjusts energy usage.

I also agree that CES will be the most likely forum for Palm to show off it's latest products. I am sure that Palm's booths will be overflowing with employees and a very splashy presentation.

Since my contract is up in days for my Centro, I am going to wait and see what else Palm is rolling out.

Since I am on my fourth Palm phone in the last almost 9 years, I only want a "keyboarded" smart phone. My guess is that the Pre 2, will now be the mid line phone. I expect that there will be a line of webOS phones that will be offered with and without a keyboard, but will be the same "under the hood". Of course, there will also be the PalmPad.

So instead of whining, why no look at the future of Palm and feel great that Palm will carry on and that we all help Palm develop it's technology thru sites such as this.

Do keep in mind that the Pre 2 will NOT be Palm's only offering and just relax and chill out. The reason it has taken longer than many of you wanted, to roll out a new webOS phone is $. Palm in effect was broke. HP has given Palm a very bright future and by doing so is giving us a bright future as well.

Also keep in mind that I am using a 2 year old Centro, for all of you with carping about how long it has taken to get new hardware rolled out, I highly doubt it will turn into 2 years, so waiting few more weeks isn't the end of the world for any of you. I have managed quite well with my Centro, while you all had fun with webOS.

I truly laugh when I hear or read someone saying, if it doesn't do this or it doesn't do that I am leaving Palm. The 1st analogy that comes to mind is as follows:

I am disabled and therefore cannot look down at a book or hold a book without severe pain. Yet I am am a very avid reader. The Library of Congress (LOC), has program of audio or taking books, run by a division of the LOC called the National Library Service, (NLS).

The books are recorded in a proprietary format and we are lent machines by LOC/NLS. The machines belong to the Gov. This way if they break, we just send it back to the LOC/NLS and they send us a new one by US mail.

These are desktop machines. If we want a portable one, that is about the size of a deck of cards, it is up to us to buy one, they also cost approx $400! The problem is that they have souped them up so, that they have over 24 buttons.

Most of the users of the program are blind and not computer literate, (close to 60% of the several million users of the LOC/NLS are not computer literate, (but they have a family member or friend who can download books for them, which is what I do for my Mom). How are they supposed to use these players, if the are so complicated. They really only need play, FF and reverse. Not 2 dozen buttons.

Instead of making them easier to use, the next gen of one of the firms that makes them will now have a cell phone in it as well, (which of course means even more buttons). They are ignoring the largest portion of the market.

The moral of this story is that just because you can make a product do everything, doesn't mean you should. It also means that the manufacturer and the end user have to compromise on what they want in the book player OR IN A PALM SMART PHONE!

If you don't like what Palm comes out with in the next few months, (smart phones beyond the Pre 2), which were designed once Palm was bought out by HP, then just find another smartphone platform.

However, it isn't fair to the rest of us to "hear" whining or hissy fits and stopping of feet in a temper tantrum, b/c Palm's phone wont do this or that. Just go elsewhere and leave this site to the people like me, who would never even thin about any other brand!

Take care,

Jay
    Oh.. There you are!

On a more serious note, hang in there Jay. I'm with you all the way.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    *makes Jay a Key lime pie*

There. Pie makes everything better.

And yeah, it's just a phone. I feel sorry for those whose self-confidence is dependent on whether they have the coolest mobile phone on the block.
    Palm III - Tungsten E2 - Treo 680 - Palm Pre - Impatiently awaiting a Pre 3!
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    It goes both ways, though. We've all seen people embrace anyone who claims to have a "source" at Palm who leaks information to them and only them.

The difference is this info came from an actual carrier and requires some heavily tinted glasses to spin in a positive way.
    and carriers never ever post anything that's wrong..........

Take care,

Jay

EXACTLY!!!!!!

The one thing that drew me to palm and this community has been the support and the way we all seem to work so well together in backing Palm and one another, I don't know what has happened lately, but hopefully the daycare center opens soon so we can drop all the children off and get back to supporting Palm and one another.

I'm with you and I'm behind Palm (HP) 100% and think that WebOS will eventually become a standard in the world, that becomes an intrigal part of how we operate in the world of technology. Also glad to hear your mom is doing well.

Jamie

I wish all the babies would just move along. lol ltm ltm
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Well said. I'm all for rational discussion and disagreements over device and what not, (although I must admit I have lost my patience with some of the haters in the past) but the threads on the new device have gotten ridiculously "baby'ish" in their tone.
    So tired of everyone whining, should we start a whiners/haters thread for them to congregate into?

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieScratch View Post
    *makes Jay a Key lime pie*

There. Pie makes everything better.

And yeah, it's just a phone. I feel sorry for those whose self-confidence is dependent on whether they have the coolest mobile phone on the block.
    Here's the best Key Lime pie on the planet! Happle Gourmet Foods LLC | Happle´s Organic Pies and Desserts

(yeah, it's in the family, so I am biased).

Chris
    I see pandas.
    Quote Originally Posted by squeezy View Post
    Would you prefer they keep their opinions to themselves? This is a discusson forum, not a positive attitude forum. I wasn't aware voicing ones negative opinion on a relevant subject was so adolescent.
    Yes but I don't see how repeating "I'm buying an iPhone" 10+ times in each ***king thread is helping with sane and mature discussion either.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Jay, I'm sorry, you left out one thing:

http://thelongestlistofthelongeststu...heesewheel.jpg
    I see pandas.
    People, PLEASE TAKE A DEEP BREATH!!

1. Calm down it is a smartphone...not a failed Middle East Peace Plan...Palm almost went out of bsuiness...they did the best they could do with almost no $....if this phone is not to your liking, just wait and see what will happen once the phones and/or pad comes out that were designed now that Palm has $!

2. You people are all carrying on you sound far worse than my nephews when they were 6 & 4. Just calm down a little.

3. My contract with V for my 2 years with my Centro ends, THIS WEEK.... for all of the carping out there...at least you have a Pre...I was stuck with PalmOS all of this time....

4. If you don't like what Palm is offering now, you have 2 choices,:

A.. wait to see what is in the wings as I mentioned above

or

B. Buy another brand smartphone and stop *****ing and ruining this site for the rest of us!

5. A few of you need to grow up...poeple are losing their houses & jobs, MY MOM SUFFERED A STROKE AND A HEART ATTACK LAST YEAR. I was told that not to expect her to make it to the next day, at three different times, last year....she was in an inpatient rehab unit for 2 months. She is here and doing GREAT....this is a phone, not your house, not your business and not your health.....stop crabbing and DO SOME GROWING UP!
    take care,

Jay

Thank you for this, this is something I been fixing to say for a while now.
    Puts things into perspective.
    Are bad people born that way? Or did something go terribly wrong?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast