Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Trolls gotta troll...

These specs really aren't unreasonable for an update of a product line which seems to be what they are going for here. People just want something to complain/troll about.

HP could have announced they had perfected memresistors for processing use and that the Pre 2 would be the first mobile device to use them later this year/ early next year and these people would still find something to complain about with the hardware.
    don't know why some of these people bought a pre in the first place. There are many people out there,like myself,who do not want to carry around a brick on them all day,who still want a keyboard. Pre sales over the last year were not good most likly because once word got out about all the physical issues thay stayed away,and,,,,,not much money for advertising. It seems that both those issues have been rectified. I think this will do well. 83percent of americans do NOT own smartphones yet. I am sure this phone,with the right advertising,will appeal to some of these people.
    simply put, the pre 2's specs aren't enough to get anyone excited. It's nothing more that a pre with a faster processor. Now if it had an awsome camera, a front facing camera, 4G antena, digital compass, HDMI output, a larger screen, etc then maybe it would get attention like the Windows7 phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    simply put, the pre 2's specs aren't enough to get anyone excited. It's nothing more that a pre with a faster processor. Now if it had an awsome camera, a front facing camera, 4G antena, digital compass, HDMI output, a larger screen, etc then maybe it would get attention like the Windows7 phones.
    Do we know what kind of camera it has yet? Or if it has a compass, HDMI out, or higher resolution? We need an official announcement of hardware before we jump to conclusions...
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    So basically...if it looks like a Pre and quacks like a Pre it fails like a Pre?
    to answer you, I honestly have to quote a commenter on BGR:

"I don’t get some of the people commenting (both here and elsewhere). It’s called the “PRE” 2. As in, “a new and improved version of a phone we already made.” As in, “this is not an entirely new phone which happens to be made by the same people.” - Jeffro
    Quote Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72 View Post
    That is when you know something is a dissapointment.

Even though I'm leaving I hope webOS gets somewhat popular so I can profit from my stock.
    Wow... we all know you had bad experiences with hardware and want to leave, but did you not think anyone (over your age, 17?) watches the stock market. If you look at HP's stock it has been trending UP for the last month and selling higher than 2009 (outside of the dip it took during the Hurd incident)? There are always up-ticks and down ticks along a line for stocks, but saying HP's stock is sinking since the info of the Pre2 was released is actually kinda funny.
    Palm Pre sales no matter how huge will not have much of an impact on HP's bottom line or stock price....HP is a massive company a smartphone wont make or break HP....its like basing Apple's stock price on the sales of the ipod shuffle...
    is anyone listening Garrett has a point, we are all jumping to conclusions on specs and processor, when HP hasent made anykind of announcemnt yet on this device. For all we know SFR could have photoshopped a pre and put it on their website to start to market the new device. It dosent state anything except the same specs we already know, plus a flat screen and push for facebook. Lets wait until an announcement for the US, and for what carrier with specs before we jump on HP and Palm. Then after you read the complete specs then bash em if you dont approve. To me if they plan on still continuing the Pre design what Cmilette is saying is Correct, and if you want a different design we already know different models are coming wait for em, or go to Android or WP7.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    Then after you read the complete specs then bash em if you dont approve. To me if they plan on still continuing the Pre design what Cmilette is saying is Correct, and if you want a different design we already know different models are coming wait for em, or go to Android or WP7.
    Ohhhh, they'll bash em for sure. Look around NOW - people are supposed to be getting a phone on par with everything else released this fall/winter and they're disappointed.

The fact is that the Palm community expects Palm to outdo the competition by months, if not an entire technology generation. And that is a full expectation, which, if met (as in the case of the Pre, which was one of the first phones powered by a Cortex A8 core), will not elicit happiness but rather a reaction of "well, OK, that's pretty good but Palm have failed because the competition will also soon have the same technology".

If Palm merely equals the competition, like right now - Microsoft launching a volley of WinPho7 phones ALL HAVING THE SAME SPECS as the Pre2 leaked on the same day - it's a disappointment and people go to the other company, whose usage of the same specs is somehow much better than Palm's.

By the way: 10 dollars says that all "Pre"-branded phones will always be portrait sliders. All "Pixi"-branded phones will always be candybars. They've established those two brands. Expect new names for the upcoming other form factors.
    Yeah, that's a same... when stock go down it always means a product will fail... Look at Apple the day they introduce the Ipad, Apple stocks went down and everyone knows that the iPad is a complete failure.

What's more, i'm sure hp stocks are not related to how the palm pre 2 succeed. You know that hp has many many more things to sell than a smartphone?

Get a life man, and if you want an iphone so badly, go get one, we won't miss you... When i look at all the treads you created, it's always to complain about something. Go whining somewhere else.
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    As I mentioned before, this is simply an update to keep the hardcore users (and by extension the developers) on-board while they come up with something interesting and new. This phone has already been rejected by the mass market once so there is little appeal there.
    +1

the OP's attitude is exactly what's wrong with his generation....it maybe because they don't remember a world without the INCREDIBLE TECHNOLOGIES that abound today.
    -- VZW Pre+ -- Uberk/Gov fixed @ 1ghz -- QPST gps mod -- stock battery (?mugen 3800?) --

Even though I'm leaving I hope webOS gets somewhat popular so I can profit from my stock.
    We lead more by example than by words, how do you expect webos to be more popular when YOU are leaving? If it isn't good enough for you, then who is it good enough for?
    <This Page is Blank>
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    It's just such a disappointment to see Palm release a phone with basically the same tired old specs that other companies (like Microsoft) release on the same day under divers alarums about their fantastic, top-of-the-line hardware specs.

Why should someone get a laughably weak Pre 2 with a sloooooooow 1GHz processor (which has been used in other phones for months and months on end) if you could have a burly HTC HD7 with a zippingly fast 1GHz processor (which has only been used in other phones for a few short months)?

Wow dude, am I the ONLY person here that understood your sarcasm?

Wow, people really are <deleted by Mod> sheeple.

I apologize for the stupidity around you, and the fact that people are so blind to not realize that the instinctual response that they want 'something new' even if it has the same specs and quality or something old.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 10/12/2010 at 10:18 AM. Reason: unnecessary language
    I wouldn't read much into HP's stock now, but I would be interested tosee it between let's say November through March next year. With all the things promised to us during that time, HP's stock will ride on if they can stand and deliver what they said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    HP could have announced they had perfected memresistors for processing use and that the Pre 2 would be the first mobile device to use them later this year/ early next year and these people would still find something to complain about with the hardware.
    Memristors in the Pre 3? What a fail. They could have used known-good transistors and normal memory that's good enough for everyone else, but instead opted to go for their stupid experimental, oh and dare I say proprietary memristors. lolololol openness... And why do you think nobody has licensed memristors yet? Yeah, nothing says breakthrough like a product that nobody wants.

So good luck with that HP... but your feeble attempt at world domination is flawed because I won't buy a phone that may explode because once again Palm wants to use paying customers us as pre-alpha hardware testers! I'll get an iPhone 6 because I don't want cutting-edge that doesn't work, I want something that'll just WORK perfectly the way I want it to! So GOOD RIDDANCE PALM!! At least we finally know that this is the last phone from you because HP is going to kill webOS after this phone molds on the shelves.

<edit> crap, I'm having way too much fun doing this
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Memristors in the Pre 3? What a fail. They could have used known-good transistors and normal memory that's good enough for everyone else, but instead opted to go for their stupid experimental, oh and dare I say proprietary memristors. lolololol openness... And why do you think nobody has licensed memristors yet? Yeah, nothing says breakthrough like a product that nobody wants.

So good luck with that HP... but your feeble attempt at world domination is flawed because I won't buy a phone that may explode because once again Palm wants to use paying customers us as pre-alpha hardware testers! I'll get an iPhone 6 because I don't want cutting-edge that doesn't work, I want something that'll just WORK perfectly the way I want it to! So GOOD RIDDANCE PALM!! At least we finally know that this is the last phone from you because HP is going to kill webOS after this phone molds on the shelves.

<edit> crap, I'm having way too much fun doing this
    http://cdn1.knowyourmeme.com/i/30403...jpg?1260647699

EDIT: http://media.funlol.com/content/img/...t-even-mad.jpg
    Last edited by PalmPrePlusPwns; 10/12/2010 at 01:29 PM. Reason: read the thread
    LOL

HS economics and business class may tell you that Palm is a **miniscule** part of the overall HP empire. Palm can leak the release of a brick for phone, and it will hardly cause a ripple in HP stock.
    First of all [since it's not an official release and I don't know that it would even be considered believable in the world of business] I doubt you're stock went down because of the pictures we saw today.

However, it wouldn't surprise me if your stock DOES drop if that's what the new phone is going to look like.

That being said, any company that takes an old phone and just upgrades extremely minor details and updates the internals to what's considered "normal for smartphones" now, will likely have their stock drop.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast