View Poll Results: Should HP start leaking details?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

79 87.78%
  • No!

11 12.22%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    Nerves are tense, tensions are high, peoples carrier-renewals are due..

Basically, people are at their wits end about whether to continue with webOS.

HP, we realize its been a good minute since you've been competitive in the smart-phone races, but (welcome to 2010) in this day of mobile technology, a brand gets curious seekers all hyped and millions of hits on engadget via leaks.

Right now, no one, not even your most loyal of loyalists (http://precentral.net) has any idea of the direction your hardware is about to take with our beloved webOS. It is of my own advice, and probably a few others here... perhaps you should consider dropping tid-bits of knowledge out there. Think of it like this, would you really be fishing without bait?

I dont want your business to crash, but for heaven's sake .. spark some interest in the product most dont have a clue about, yet we are dying for.
    YEAH!

Unless what you have designed is crap...then...

NO!

But I have faith you've spent time and money doing surveys of what people want so you already know and are building some quality hardware so...

YEAH!
    I would love to see some blurry pictures of at least one of the new devices but I would settle for ads that let us know something big is coming.
    Paaaalllm!
    I agree too.

But you know what? A few days ago, a bunch of us would've been happy if HP just told us when they're coming out with they're new super phones. And now we know it's early next year. So we can relax for a while until then. That's what I'm doing lol.
    I would be happy with some kind of teaser trailer commercial doesn't have to show anything jus let ppl kno to get their upgrades ready and get rid of the ol' coyote.. HPalms roadrunner coming...lol sumthin like that
    HI all,

I have been very behind in everything these past few weeks, (my g/f's daughter is getting married out of town, so naturally I have been busy and distracted).

We now know that there will be a "Pre 2". Since I still have my Centro, (I have about
    1 & 1/2 weeks left on my contract with "V"). Therefore, I never had the chance to every use a Pre.

From the little I have gleed on this site, the Pre 2 seems to be a minor update of the Pre Plus. Of course this was designed when Palm had almost zero in funds to do a major change in the Pre design.

Now there is also rumor of a "keyboard less" webOS phone coming out, as well as the PalmPad.

Do any of you think that there will also be on at least of the carriers a webOS phone with a keyboard that is not just a minor update of the Pre?

After all that was then and this is now. Now Palm has access to mega funds, to help justify HP sending $1.2 Billion.

I cannot see locking myself into a 1 or 2 year contract for a Pre 2, which was designed when Palm was on it's last legs and had to scrimp on design funds. I can wait a few more months and get as webOS phone that was designed when Palm didn't have to worry about $.

Are any of you waiting to see what else Palm will release shortly or are you going for a Pre 2, b/c you don't think there will be another keyboard webOS phone soon?

I am so sorry if this posting is confusing. I have spend the last weeks worrying about anything from wedding flowers to wedding scrapbooks, to plane tickets!

take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I see alot of ppl that say they wouldn't get the pre 2 if it's the same design as the pre cuz of hardware issues... Sure this pre zr may have been designed when palm had no $ but that's diff. Now I'm pretty sure whatever they had ready HP came in and pretty much said make it better I doubt hp would let them release another cheap phone and stain hps name in the smartphone business.... So lets keep those hopes up even if it's the exact same design/factor it can't be the same crappy hardware right? :/ well see soon .
    I am thinking that the PRE 2 will be for business power users, as like the blackberry's are and that the new product keyboardless one will be for the general public. Remember HP pushes to entice bussiness users.. This is all just speculation though..
    Quote Originally Posted by exterminateu2 View Post
    I am thinking that the PRE 2 will be for business power users, as like the blackberry's are and that the new product keyboardless one will be for the general public. Remember HP pushes to entice bussiness users.. This is all just speculation though..
    I've always thought a three-tier lineup would work, kind of like RIM's model:

Pixi -> Pearl - Basic smartphone, as cheap as possble to get people started with webOS
    Pre -> Curve/Bold - Business and mid-range
    New uber slate device -> Torch/Storm - High end, for gadget chasers
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    unfortunate thread title. Implies there actually is a leak.
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    unfortunate thread title. Implies there actually is a leak.
    LOL

Thank you one and all for the info bringing me up to date. I will see what happens in the next few weeks. Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    How about a new Palm Pre2+ phone left in a bar and sold to PreCentral to take apart?

Then Leo Apotheker could call up PreCentral and ask for it back. PreCentral Dieter would say "heck no!" (and go to jail) We'd all protest by gathering in front of the jail and burning our HP Printers. The EPA would send us all to jail, and then we ...

I think I'll just wait for blurry picture leaks on Engadget after all!
    Why, just to get bashed by the media if it doesn't live up to spec!

I like that they are doing what Apple does, keeping silent.

If they leaked stuff, and we don't end up liking what is coming, what then!

I would think it's a little too late for them to alter what they are going to do, considering it will all happen in a couple of months. Stuff is being built now for production, if they are going to be coming to market in 3 months. It does take time to get this designed and out the door.

I am still dumbfounded by the press making believe that Palm does not even exist any longer. Heck, they are comparing the new Motorola Droid Pro2 which now has a portrait keyboard to Rim's Blackberry Torch, as if RIM were the first to have that design when it was Palm's Pre that was the first to have the slide out portrait keyboard.

Remember, it's the Press that is either going help WebOS or bury it, and right now, they have buried it!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Why compare the slide out keybiard to something as crappy as the Pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    Why, just to get bashed by the media if it doesn't live up to spec!

I like that they are doing what Apple does, keeping silent.

If they leaked stuff, and we don't end up liking what is coming, what then!

I would think it's a little too late for them to alter what they are going to do, considering it will all happen in a couple of months. Stuff is being built now for production, if they are going to be coming to market in 3 months. It does take time to get this designed and out the door.

I am still dumbfounded by the press making believe that Palm does not even exist any longer. Heck, they are comparing the new Motorola Droid Pro2 which now has a portrait keyboard to Rim's Blackberry Torch, as if RIM were the first to have that design when it was Palm's Pre that was the first to have the slide out portrait keyboard.

Remember, it's the Press that is either going help WebOS or bury it, and right now, they have buried it!

Rob
    Rob I see you are from Astoria. I lived in Flushing in the same house for 38 years... take care, Jay
    Hi all,

Perhaps we are looking at this the wrong way. From the little I have read, it is supposed to have a main chip that uses far less power. I am wondering if it is 4G Pre Plus, that has all the bugs fixed of the original and isn't a power hog.

That sure sounds like a phone worth buying!

After all the wheel doesn't need to be totally reinvented. With a better resolution screen and webOS 2.0 under the hood, it will be great! As the song goes, "just call me a cockeyed optimist"!

I also have to add, that a number of smart phones are too huge.

I have a small GPS unit that is 4 years old the Garmin Nuvi 250. Now Garmin still makes that size as well as a far larger size. How much stuff do we want to carry. Of course, I realize that the Pre does have it's own GPS built in, (but keep in mind people I have only 1/2 weeks left on my 2 year contract with my Centro. I have not even tried a Pre)!

However, I also do not feel like lashing a netbook to my belt every day. There is only so much stuff we can carry comfortable with us all day.

Take care, Jay
    Quote Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72 View Post
    Why compare the slide out keybiard to something as crappy as the Pre?
    What's a keybiard?
    You are confusing what you want with what is good for HP/Palm.
    Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    HP, leak some pics or details before EOM Oct. ... or bust

Been loyal to Palm since 2006, but that can change easily..

The ball is your court.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast