Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    With:

New Android phones every day from smartphone hardware heavyweights;
    The iPhone going CDMA to at least Verizon and possibly Sprint & Tmobile;
    Windows Phone 7 looking to launch this month with a pretty major push;
    Blackberry chugging along with their core user base;
    Nokia making preparations to aggressively go after the US smartphone market;

Are carriers really going to be interested in single-manufacturer webOS phones? Neither HP or Palm has much of a user base for their smartphones. The carriers are often the actual customers for these hardware companies. I'm not sure anyone of the carriers are going to be excited about what HP/Palm has to offer anymore. That was early 2009. Things are a lot different now. Look at the hardware that is out there right now.
    Things change! When the Pre launched, there was doom and gloom that no one could outsell the iphone. Now Android handsets are outselling iphones. With a a decent product and great marketing things can still change in a hurry. Things have changed and I believe for Palm, they have changed for the better. Don't underestimate HP's ability to sell at the enterprise level. As the market matures software will be the differentiator. Go Palm!
    Carriers are *****s, they will do anything to make a buck, so yes they will want the next Pre.
    Hey you can never count anyone out.. At one point apple was all but dead... Now look at them... It depends on the direction HP and Palm go with this, but rest assured they didn't spend as much money as they did on Palm, 3par (if im not mistaken cloud storage company) for nothing... Hp also has many many partners throughout the enterprise industry.. not saying it won't be easy but its definitely not impossible.
    Are bad people born that way? Or did something go terribly wrong?
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I think Android phones are outselling the iPhone for really only a few reason:

1) "Phone Spam" - there's literally more Android phones than you can shake a stick at and they are on every carrier.
    2) AT&T exclusivity - many issues here, but obviously everyone who was going to switch to AT&T for the iPhone already has. If you're stuck on Verizon or Sprint because you like the network, have full signal at your house, etc., then your only alternative is Android or others.

We will see how long Android maintains market share gains if the iPhone comes to Verizon and Sprint. All they really need to do is make 1-2 other form factors (also rumored in WSJ) and it will be a bloodbath.

I agree with the concerns of the OP that it will be tough for HP/Palm.
    I agree it might not be easy, but I would think that HP will have a much better chance then Palm alone would have had releasing new devices. Even if there isn't a huge carrier relationship with HP before they have to have some relationship as HP is so huge and will not want to alienate themselves either.
    I would have to agree with Gaidal, the Androol sales are greatly due to phone spam. Apple makes one brand on phone, it's the only brand that runs iOS.
    Its in a carrier's best interest to provide a good stable of a variety of OS phones. One OS is never going to met the needs of 100% of consumers.

I think the best Palm is ever going to get is a three-way tie for third and I'm ok with that.
    Perhaps HP will just acquire a carrier -- problem solved! ;-)

I think all the U.S. based carriers most likely have a sour taste in their mouths from Palm -- I don't think a single one did well with it (webOS that is). Unfortunately what this means for HPalm is that not only do they have an uphill battle with consumers, I think they do with carriers as well.

And I wouldn't call it "phone spam". Google has driven Android to where it is, people want it, people ask for it, people buy it. I was in a Sprint store the other day and overheard someone come in and say "I need to upgrade my phone and I want to get a Droid." Of course the rep took them to the Android phones and talked the guy into a Samsung Moment.
    I honestly think, if they market it correctly, that WebOS and MeeGo can overtake Android. They are clearly better platforms and Nokia is a very well established player.
    I found Android to be a clunky mess, it's the poster child of the anti-iphone campaign right now, but it's just begging to be overtake by better software.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanerMezei View Post
    I found Android to be a clunky mess, it's the poster child of the anti-iphone campaign right now, but it's just begging to be overtake by better software.
    Well, keep in mind that Beta was better than VHS -- but in the end the market place went for VHS. It is all about marketing. Clearly Palm had no clue about marketing, HP should be better but we will have to wait and see how they approach this.
    if you build it (right), they will come...
    I agree somewhat on the statement of Android being phone spam, lol nice term. To me it is what Google wanted their strategy to be get carriers to release new phones around the clock. People ask for it because it is essentially "phone spam" its in your face on every carrier, on commercials etc. They did a Iphone advertisment times 4, which is smart considering IMO the OS lacks the innovation that a WEBOS and IOS has. So the more the better coming from every concievable angle. To me Webos needs to take a somewhat Apple approach, but release 2 to 3 different form factors every year. These phones need to be top of the line (like iphone has been every year) and release them on every carrier state wise and overseas. Carriers will pick it up, just to give them variety and adds another OS to contend with the next company. To me HP scaling top notch products of different form factors every year, on every carrier they can get their hands on will not only boost sales, but mind share globaly. Even if you look at Googles phones their process works, but if you look at the specs most all of their phones have the same, just with different form factors. Why not make 2 to 3 Super phones for every carrier a year and call it a day. Along with a perfectly running tablet I dont see why Webos wont succeed with a company thats been already so successful in the computer business. So you ask if carriers will want Webos phones, I bet they will.
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    if you build it (right), they will come...
    I think that is the OP's point..In the short term at least, a pre with better specs is going to do zero to help the current situation. I own my pre, I like it a lot but from a sales perspective and on the sales floors at carriers stores the product is a failure.. there is no way around that, and bumping the spec isn't going to do a thing to change that perception
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    HP have excellent ties in the telecommunications industry - they are a major supplier of equipment. That alone will ensure reasonable and rational negotiations between HP and the carriers. They probably won't get a whole lot of marketing support but since Verizon only market Droid phones (seriously when was the last time anyone saw a Blackberry ad on Verizon) and AT&T seem to be focused on trying to con us all into thinking their 3G network covers 97% of all Americans, that's not surprising.

I would expect a major advertising blitz from HP - that will have the carriers excited at the prospect, even if the numbers won't necessarily, sorry won't , be iPhone or Droid2 like.

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanerMezei View Post
    Yeah but at least Google know its UI is a mess - that's why they've hired the guy responsible for our UI. I would expect some pretty impressive stuff from Android in a year or so.
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    I sure hope so, the Palm sales on sprint were so pathetic, Im not really sure Sprint will want another Webos device, they seemed really disappinted, and if they pass on the next Palm, I will be really disappointed in Sprint
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    HP have excellent ties in the telecommunications industry - they are a major supplier of equipment. That alone will ensure reasonable and rational negotiations between HP and the carriers.

And you expect HP to put this relationship on the line to push a smartphone? I'll bet webOS smartphones aren't even mentioned next time HP talks to carriers about telecom equipment purchases because it's likely that the people in the room on both sides have nothing to do with smartphones.
    Carriers are greedy and as long as they think they can make a few bucks they will sell whatever they can get their hands on. Verizon will sell the next Pre as soon as they can cripple the GPS.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
  20.    #20  
    I think carriers are going to start thinking about how many smartphone platforms they really need to support. There's a lot of expense in just training alone. Then there is inventory, shelf space, etc. In the past, they could justify it due to Palms significant install base. Now that that has dwindled, the carriers are going to have to believe that an HP smartphone can really take off - and not fantasy-believe like people here do.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast