Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 109
  1. cuotfs's Avatar
    Posts
    4 Posts
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    So nobody else thinks there's something suspicious about the Pre 2 launching this month on a single carrier in France and not being announced anywhere else? I think we're going to hear chatter over the next few weeks that carriers are giving the Pre 2 the cold shoulder - "available in coming months."

    Months. That means this hardware launches about a year after it should have into the hypercompetitive smartphone environment. Deadly.
    Not really.
    While it would be nice to see a great new WebOS device with modern specs and top notch hardware I keep thinking back to the buyout and HP saying that they aren't interested in getting into the cell phone business and that's not why the bought Palm.
  2. #82  
    I think if I were a carrier reading these boards with all the speculation of a superphone to be announced in the next couple of months, I would be leery about pulling the trigger on the Pre2.

    They may know about an upcoming superphone, and thus, are holding off. If that is the case, anyone with the Pre2 is going to look like a sap in a couple of months. If the most loyal Palm fans are going through a tough decision right now, just imagine what the carriers are going through. Glad I'm not them.
  3. #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I think if I were a carrier reading these boards with all the speculation of a superphone to be announced in the next couple of months, I would be leery about pulling the trigger on the Pre2.

    They may know about an upcoming superphone, and thus, are holding off. If that is the case, anyone with the Pre2 is going to look like a sap in a couple of months. If the most loyal Palm fans are going through a tough decision right now, just imagine what the carriers are going through. Glad I'm not them.
    Well, that probably explains the (extremely) soft launch via press release and such with so little detail. This seems to be some sort of open beta, and they are going to have to present the goods - in whatever shape they are in - during or close to CES to help their "PalmPad" stand a chance.
  4. #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I think if I were a carrier reading these boards with all the speculation of a superphone to be announced in the next couple of months, I would be leery about pulling the trigger on the Pre2.

    They may know about an upcoming superphone, and thus, are holding off. If that is the case, anyone with the Pre2 is going to look like a sap in a couple of months. If the most loyal Palm fans are going through a tough decision right now, just imagine what the carriers are going through. Glad I'm not them.
    I would think that people who make these kinds of decisions at carriers would have more advanced notice than the general public, under NDA. Carriers probably are already aware of some more particulars of the HP-Palm roadmap.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  5. #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    ...
    Even stranger, if WebOS 2.0 can run on Pre and Pre Plus devices, aside from recompiling the kernel to go with the architecture of the OMAP 3430, why wouldn't it be immediately available for all European Pre devices not controlled by carriers?
    An OS that is designed for new hardware, and to be backwards compatible with old hardware, has to go through multiple testing phases.

    It has to be tested on the new hardware. Then it has to be tested on the old hardware. Then the update process for the old hardware has to be tested.
  6. #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    An OS that is designed for new hardware, and to be backwards compatible with old hardware, has to go through multiple testing phases.

    It has to be tested on the new hardware. Then it has to be tested on the old hardware. Then the update process for the old hardware has to be tested.
    Why would WebOS 2.x be "designed to" run on any hardware specifically? It's going to need to be able to scale between tablets, netbooks, printers,...whatever have you. It should run well on all of them and update quickly just as iOS does between iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch. If not, then they're failing out of the gate yet again.
  7. #87  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Why would WebOS 2.x be "designed to" run on any hardware specifically? It's going to need to be able to scale between tablets, netbooks, printers,...whatever have you. It should run well on all of them and update quickly just as iOS does between iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch. If not, then they're failing out of the gate yet again.
    Right, like the latest iPhone\iPad update that keeps getting pushed back??


    iPhone, iPad Update: iOS 4.2 Release Date Pushed Back
  8. #88  
    UK carriers decided not to offer it. See what happens in the US.
  9. #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Right, like the latest iPhone\iPad update that keeps getting pushed back??


    iPhone, iPad Update: iOS 4.2 Release Date Pushed Back
    The point is that the update is not device specific, but rather for their range of devices. Plus, I'd rather Apple push the update back rather than having Verizon or AT&T do it like WebOS 1.4.5. Throw in them being slow in recompiling it for EACH device/resolution/etc., and it's about to get messy.
  10. #90  
    op had something going, few carriers opting not to carry the pre 2
  11. #91  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Why would WebOS 2.x be "designed to" run on any hardware specifically? It's going to need to be able to scale between tablets, netbooks, printers,...whatever have you. It should run well on all of them and update quickly just as iOS does between iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch. If not, then they're failing out of the gate yet again.
    If course they're "falling out of the gate", because you've decreed it thus.

    The general OS should (and will) be able to run on multiple devices; however, each release OS is designed specifically for a particular model. Try to load a Pixi version of WebOS on a Pre. It won't work. They have different hardware.

    They can release 2.0 on the Pre2 while they are working on the upgrade versions for Pixi and Pre.

    Personally, I think you're trying way to hard to spin everything against Palm.
  12. #92  
    I know one thing though... Sprint would be "Crazy" not to get the pre 2.
  13. #93  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Why would WebOS 2.x be "designed to" run on any hardware specifically? It's going to need to be able to scale between tablets, netbooks, printers,...whatever have you.
    It's embedded technology. You always write for the most targeted hardware that you can, because including only those drivers and features compatible with the device saves space, memory, and boot time. It's often better to add support for new devices to old code than to try to guess all of the requirements for devices that might come out and end up including unnecessary code.

    Besides, more code means a larger attack surface, and mobile devices -- WebOS, Android, iOS, whatever -- are littered with vulnerabilities as it is.

    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    If course they're "falling out of the gate", because you've decreed it thus.
    To be fair, he did say, "failing out of the gate," a horse racing reference, and as big a fan and supporter as I am of WebOS, Palm definitely faltered once the gate opened.
    If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.
  14. #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    If course they're "falling out of the gate", because you've decreed it thus.

    The general OS should (and will) be able to run on multiple devices; however, each release OS is designed specifically for a particular model. Try to load a Pixi version of WebOS on a Pre. It won't work. They have different hardware.

    They can release 2.0 on the Pre2 while they are working on the upgrade versions for Pixi and Pre.

    Personally, I think you're trying way to hard to spin everything against Palm.
    If observing reality is "trying", then ok.

    They're failing out the gate because their model ensures all of the lack of choice of Apple's way with none of the streamlined updates because they can't do a uniform OS launch or even get unlocked devices out globally in a timely fashion.

    That's why everything is "Coming Soon" or "Ask your carrier".
  15. #95  
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Blank View Post
    It's embedded technology. You always write for the most targeted hardware that you can, because including only those drivers and features compatible with the device saves space, memory, and boot time. It's often better to add support for new devices to old code than to try to guess all of the requirements for devices that might come out and end up including unnecessary code.

    Besides, more code means a larger attack surface, and mobile devices -- WebOS, Android, iOS, whatever -- are littered with vulnerabilities as it is.
    True enough. But with the processor architecture of the Pre, Pre Plus, and Pre 2 being so very similar, I can't believe that WebOS 2.0 takes that much effort recompile for each hardware iteration. On more cooperative carriers like Sprint, even the updates between the Pre and Pixi with much more different architecture and resolution have been pretty much simultaneous.

    But I see your point.


    To be fair, he did say, "failing out of the gate," a horse racing reference, and as big a fan and supporter as I am of WebOS, Palm definitely faltered once the gate opened.
    Tip of the hat to you, sir.
  16. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    I know one thing though... Sprint would be "Crazy" not to get the pre 2.
    Why?
  17. #97  
    Because every Facebook/Twitter ultimatum regarding the Pre 2 guarantees one sale, duh!

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    Come play with my Twitter.
  18. #98  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Carriers are *****s, they will do anything to make a buck, so yes they will want the next Pre.
    The problem is if the old Pre didn't sell well, they indeed may not want the new Pre. Or won't be in a hurry to carry it.

    I have not seen any of the US carriers, except Verizon, get excited about the Pre 2. And even Verizon seems more excited about other phones(all their droids).
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 11/15/2010 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Saw the "Pre 2 Verizon" thread.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  19. #99  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    op had something going, few carriers opting not to carry the pre 2
    I didn't notice the thread was a month old, lol. Yes UK carriers seem to have dumped on Pre 2 entirely. US carriers have not even mentioned it. Canadian carriers seem on board, but I only learned that by reading here. But not too much excitement going for Pre 2.

    Edit: It's for sure coming to Verizon, now that I saw the flyer in another thread. But where's the marketing?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  20.    #100  
    It looks like some of the carriers are not wanting the current Pre either.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions