View Poll Results: Would significantly more battery life greatly help your decision to buy a Palm phone?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Definitely

50 68.49%
  • It would have to be at least double

9 12.33%
  • I don't care about battery life

13 17.81%
  • Nothing will get me to buy a palm phone again/at all.

1 1.37%
  1.    #1  
    I guess this is my pseudo rant about the lack of focus phone manufacturers seem to put towards battery life. I guess this started bothering me now more than ever because I've started using my phone for much more than just the usual phone, text, web browse, sort of functionality. I recently started downloading and playing more games on my phone and turning on messaging on occasion and its been DRAINING!!! Draining to my phone's battery life that is. I've realized that though I've been complaining about the smaller screen, lack of RAM, limited apps, slower clock speed, etc... none of that really matters because my battery life SUCKS! I do try optimizing what I can... turn off wifi, turn off messaging when I'm not using it, close apps when I'm not using them, only pull email every half hour or so, etc. Even though I do all this, I find that when I do chat a bit, or play angry birds, or stream music, or pretty much anything, my battery lasts for half a day max. Can we just agree that battery life needs to be made a priority!? Why can't we just have a basic expectation of using a phone to its maximum potential while still getting a full day's use out of it? I would really just love to go to work in the morning and come how and not be stressing about tossing my phone on the charger.

I don't just fault Palm or the Pre for this downfall. I've heard plenty of complaints about the Evo 4G and other phones with the same problem. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE H/Palm, PLEASE focus on battery life. I can pretty much assure u I will stick with Palm at least awhile longer if you make my life battery worry free.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    I guess this is my pseudo rant about the lack of focus phone manufacturers seem to put towards battery life. I
    To be fair, Apple worked very hard on increasing battery life in the iPhone4. I went from a 3g - which had an okay battery; lasted all day but not with heavy internet usage - to the 4 and its a stunning difference. I can easily get two days unless I am pounding the internet hard, in which case I might get home at 7 or 8 with 30-40% left.

The more squared shape was primarily to get a larger battery in without tremendously increasing the size of the phone. I can't remember the percentage but it was a significant increase.

while some don't appreciate the changes to the shape, I will take a phone that does all it needs to do in a day, without worry about plugging in, anyday.

(That's not to say battery manufacturers couldn't do a better job but Apple did think about this with their new phone)
    Well, the iphone 4 comes with a 1400mAh battery.

You can buy a 1400mAh Mugen battery for the Pre, and I guarentee that it will not last 2 days.

It has much more to do with the processor and hardware efficiency and the software efficiency.

We know the new processor will be more efficient, and we also know that WebOS 2.0 will be more efficient.

So the new Pre will be more efficient with better battery life even with a 1150 mAh battery.

If you really cared that much about battery life and would buy an entire new phone because of it, I think you can also drop $30 for the Mugen 1400mAh battery for it as well, and you would probably get a good 2 days worth of charge/1 day with heavy use.
  4.    #4  
    you both make very good points. I'm not an iphone fan or really a fan of any apple product for that matter, but they did do a good job battery life for their latest iphone. As for the new phone that comes out, we still have no idea if any of those specs that have been leaking out are even true. It would be nice if they put at least a 1400mAh battery in it by default instead of making people buy a third party battery. I guess I could buy a replacement battery right now, but honestly I don't really wanna spend anymore money on my Pre right now. I get the feeling I'll be getting a new phone in the next few months whether it be a new Palm phone or android or something else. I definitely will consider a third party battery for my next phone though.
    i'm surprised we dont see more threads/rants like this popping up. I agree completely with the OP. I managed to leave my extended battery in an airport last week, so I'm having to limp along on a stock battery and I'm reminded of just how bad the battery life really is.

Thanks OP. I hope this becomes a front page article. Palm, I'm looking directly at you right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Don't forget that making a battery removable significantly decreases the physical space available to increase battery size. Between the removal mechanism for the cover, compartment structure for the device, and case structure for the battery.

If you really want to maximize battery size one has to at least consider the option of using a non-user removable battery. Add to that the elimination of the battery-fit-induced problems and the fact that the hardware isn't lasting as long as the average battery and you can make a compelling case for it.
    none of those things affect the battery on the Pre. the back cover was a design win.
    Removable batteries are a waste of space. With an unremovable lithium-polymer battery you can shape it to fit any extra space in the interior of the phone, avoid the need for a battery mounting bracket, eliminate the latch mechanism for the door (including the extra clearance needed from the battery), and use an external emergency battery (often no bigger than the removable kind) to keep charged up between calls. An internal, sealed battery is also less likely to end up in a landfill.

If something needs to be removable (or more accurately, expandable) on the Pre, it's the memory.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Removable batteries are a waste of space. With an unremovable lithium-polymer battery you can shape it to fit any extra space in the interior of the phone, avoid the need for a battery mounting bracket, eliminate the latch mechanism for the door (including the extra clearance needed from the battery), and use an external emergency battery (often no bigger than the removable kind) to keep charged up between calls. An internal, sealed battery is also less likely to end up in a landfill.

If something needs to be removable (or more accurately, expandable) on the Pre, it's the memory.
    You make a good point. I used to feel that a removable battery is REALLY important. I thought apple was just making it not removable so they could just profit that much more off replacement batteries and new phones. Over the years, I've realized I really don't have the motivation to buy additional batteries and keep them with me if I run out of battery. Most importantly, switching out batteries regularly is a HUGE pain in the **** on the Pre. Takes me like 5 minutes to restart my phone. Last thing I need is to sit there and wait for my phone to boot up. I do appreciate that palm gave us the option, but if they truly could make better use out of the space with a non-removable battery, then I think I'd hop on board that line of thinking.
    I will welcome the days of a webos phone that will last two days or even a full day on a charge, but personally I'm lucky enough to be able to use a touchstone at work too. Being able to throw the pre on a touchstone and see incomming email/alerts at the same time makes me never have battery issues. I don't travel in my car often but I have a touchstone mounted there too and am always charging. I know it's not possible for everyone to use a touchstone at work, but if you can I recommend investing a couple bucks for one, with the deals going around they are well worth it.
    Battery life was important to me at one point, but I've gotten in the habit of managing my data use, so its not a big deal anymore. I just want webOS better optimized for UI responsiveness and memory management. Even @1Ghz the UI hiccups and I find myself having to tap things repeatedly waiting for the Pre to "think". Then and I get apps taking a variable amount of time to open which indicates compcache is probably at work. You can give me a battery that lasts a week, but if these issues persist in 2.0 and the new devices, i'm going to be open to new options. It didn't bother me early on, but now its starting to get on my nerves.
    I definitely would like better battery life, but I'm still likely to get another Palm phone regardless.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    I almost started a new thread exactly like this, this morning. Apple has done a fantastic job of making a device with class leading performance AND battery life in the same phone. The pre battery is terrible. There are laptops that last longer than my pre. The next pre has to have an "All Day" battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    a HUGE pain in the **** on the Pre. Takes me like 5 minutes to restart my phone.
    Try changing your battery while plugged in. It defeats the purpose of the touchstone, but saves a few minutes while changing batteries.
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    I could be wrong, but I thought I remember reading a few months back that a processor was already in development (possibly developed?) that increased the battery life of cell phones by like DAYS. I was researching the HTC Evo 4G (which my brother has since got and LOVES) and I read an article stating that it would be one of the last superphones with such a pathetic battery life. Anyone remember this? Perhaps it was a wonderful dream, I do remember I was also the head of Palm development and pretty much single handedly crushed Jobs and Apple corporation and eventually bought him out and closed the doors to allow complete domination of Palm. It was soooooo real, though....

Also, yes, battery is important to me. I am a POWER user, and that will not change. I used to Seidio's 2600 mah battery and that STILL sometimes dies on me. For some reason I guess its loose now because my phone kept shutting off and even with a spacer would not stay on. I am now back on the stock battery and feel like an iphone peasant walking around plugging in to every comptuer and outlet anytime i stop for even 10 minutes...its sad, but true. Removable battery important? to me, yes.
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    I also agree with the removable battery. Here are my main reasons:
    -IF something should go wrong out of warranty, I still have options
    -Although I hope to never need this, I like my last-resort option of a battery pull should my Pre+ freeze.
    -No matter how good we manage to make the battery life, there will always be someone who needs more. For them, the option of a replacement (charged) battery will help.

Something else I wanted to point out. Although I agree smartphones need better batteries, there is a direct connection between Smartphone feature use & battery drain. The two biggest culprits being: Wireless radio & screen.

In my opinion, no smartphone is infallable. I am currently carrying my Pre+ and a Blackberry Tour. Despite the fact that Blackberry has a reputation of being good with the battery this is a misleading statement. Blackberries are good at optimizing / minimizing the use of the wireless radio & screen --> hence the general good life of a battery.

BUT: when you use a BB like a Pre (generally a painful exercise) in a data-heavy operation, it drains fast too. For example, I threw on Pandora radio & Blackberry Traffic apps for my drive to work (Pandora radio = heavy data / BB Traffic = data + screen state remains on) -> battery drained to approx. 50% at the end of approx. 1 hour use.
    Battery life is SUPER important. What's the point of a phone that can multi-task, do GPS navigation, email and Pandora if it's a dead brick halfway through your trip?
    car charger?

Unfortunattly these phoens do way more than the used to. going on macrumors from time to time it sounds ilke even iPhone users have battery management. A bunch of them seem to only turn on 3G when they need the quick speeds, otherwise they leave it on edge.

With my Evo i only turn on 4G in my apartment (great speeds btw) because i don't have a great wifi connection in my bedroom and i have a charger also.

But along with that i downloaded an App called Juice Defender that you can set up ways to manage your battery. For instance, if i have it on (i don't run it unless I'll be away from a charger all day)its right no set up to turn of Data when the screen is on, but every 15 minutes it'll turn it on for 1 minute to grab any new emails or things like that.

Really lovely app.
    this may belong in a different thread but I thought I'd ask:

is there any downside to using an old centro to charge up a spare OEM pre battery?

any help is appreciated
    battery life is a must, I have the mugen 3800mah for my pre+ and between thin-ness and power I'll take power. In fact I found that thicker phones feel better in the hand.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Treiz View Post
    battery life is a must, I have the mugen 3800mah for my pre+ and between thin-ness and power I'll take power. In fact I found that thicker phones feel better in the hand.
    battery life is a must, but there's no way in hell I'd have a phone THAT thick. I put my phone in my front pocket, and I get the feeling that would look REALLY weird right there.