Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Think this could be possible if the TI OMAP 3630 is included in the new pre?
    *Patchers STILL make this phone Perfect!
    Palm Devices Currently Owned: Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2, Pre 3, Pixi, Veer, Touchpads, and too many touchstones!
    Considering that the OMAP 3430 is being overclocked, and they run on a similar code base, overclocking of the 3630 should be possible. Whether the 3630 is as tolerant of overclocking remains to be seen.
    are any current phones out that use the OMAP 3630? More curious to see if any phone uses it and has superior battery life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    are any current phones out that use the OMAP 3630? More curious to see if any phone uses it and has superior battery life.
    Droid X and Droid 2, and they both have very good battery life...on Android.

WebOS is a battery hog, comparatively speaking, so I don't know how much improvement we would see.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    WebOS is a battery hog, comparatively speaking, so I don't know how much improvement we would see.
    According to the claims, the CPU will consumer half as much as what's in the Palm Pre currently. So you might be able to expect a boost in battery life.
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    here is a section from a droid x review that explains the power consumption of the OMAP 3630

Motorola Droid X: Thoroughly Reviewed - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News
    Any chip can be overclocked - I would love to see what the Pre will do on the OMAP 4 processors
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Why is everyone insisting in the 3630?? The 3640 is much more plausible....the 3630 is only 720mhz....Droid X's version of 3630 is 1ghz but it is a special version of the 3630 made just for that phone....all 3630's are 720mhz, the 3640 is 1Ghz.
    funny though we talk about battery life alot (which to me at this point with the pre is more of what people expect like the oreo affect). I had the Evo for about 3 months with my pre and the funny thing is the EVO would die before my pre. I get over 6 hours of moderate use on my pre, which is overclocked at 1ghz. Which if you look at most phones on the market besides the iphone 4, it gets about the same right now. So to me with a chip using less power, webos 2.0 which of course will have better battery consumption, the GPU will be enabled, im sure this device will have no issues at all.
    Where did anyone say WebOS 2.0 was way more battery efficient than 1.x?

Hasn't pretty much every 1.x update supposedly had "battery optimization" in the release notes?
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts

Hasn't pretty much every 1.x update supposedly had "battery optimization" in the release notes?
    thats what I have been thinking, I would not be surprised to see zero battery efficiency improvements with webos2.0

the battery life will be better because of the gpu acceleration
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    the battery life will be better because of the gpu acceleration
    Has it been confirmed that 2.0 will include GPU acceleration for the UI?
    +1!! Has it??

Quote Originally Posted by alan7467 View Post
    Has it been confirmed that 2.0 will include GPU acceleration for the UI?
    Long Time Palm and Sprint User!

IIIxe, Tungsten T3, Samsung SPH-i500, Treo 700p, 755p, Centro, Palm Pre, Palm Pre+, 2.2.4 Franken Pre2 and a Touchpad!
    There has been no confirmation on GPU acceleration in 2.0 that I'm aware of, though there's got to be performance improvements. I also agree that it is much more likely to be a 3640 than a 3630.
    I know for sure that on webOS 2.0 the java services have been ditched for more efficient C services, so, this could lead to faster boot times, better battery life and overall increase of responsiveness...

But that's only a speculation
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    Jeesh guys pay attention.

There was confirmation that the CSS is being replaced with Advanced CSS and HTML5 that allows for GPU ACCELERATION, so YES, WebOS 2.0 visuals will be controlled by the GPU.

Secondly, the Java Services are being replaced by javascript and C, both are more efficient and will lead to much faster processing and better battery life.

Couple this with the new processor that uses half the power and twice the speed, and you will def. see battery improvements.

But imo they STILL should have put in a 1400mAh battery as well, I mean Mugen makes one that fits the current hardware and its real cheap, I dont see why not.
  18.    #18  
    This thread is not about battery life improvement. It is if the new prprpr $will$ $be$ $able$ $to$ $be$ $overclocked$ $so$ $we$ $can$ $have$ $the$ $fastest$ $phone$ $on$ $the$ $market$...$maybe$ $2ghz$?
    *Patchers STILL make this phone Perfect!
    Palm Devices Currently Owned: Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2, Pre 3, Pixi, Veer, Touchpads, and too many touchstones!
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    Jeesh guys pay attention.

There was confirmation that the CSS is being replaced with Advanced CSS and HTML5 that allows for GPU ACCELERATION, so YES, WebOS 2.0 visuals will be controlled by the GPU.
    That's still not confirmation to me that every animation, scroll, and graphical element will be hardware accelerated.

Secondly, the Java Services are being replaced by javascript and C, both are more efficient and will lead to much faster processing and better battery life.
    Like all of the other "performance" and "battery" enhancements that are claimed with almost every update, I need to see before I believe claims of "much faster" processing or battery life.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Droid X and Droid 2 running at 3GHz - 1GHz Texas Instruments OMAP3630 processor at 3GHz

www dot grandmax dot net/2010/10/droid-x-and-droid-2-running-at-3ghz dot html
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast