Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1.    #1  
    I started this a couple days ago, so I'm super excited that the new Pre will have a very similar form factor to the current Pre, as that's what I based my mockup on. I have a sketch on graph paper right now, and I'm going to bring that into Illustrator to make a higher quality render before submitting to the contest. Basic specs are:

    - 3.6 in display (at 640x960 it would be 320ppi)
    - Dual microphones for excellent call quality
    - Front facing camera
    - Rear facing camera with dual LED flash
    - Dedicated camera button (I hate having to tap the screen or use the keyboard to snap a picture)
    - Micro-USB moved to the bottom and cover removed
    - .5 in thin (compared to .67 in for pre)
    - Straight slider for improved build quality
    - Pixi keyboard
    - Move the proximity sensor to the middle of the phone to preserve menu functionality while on a call

    Large image

    What do you guys think?

    [EDIT]I know that the volume rockers are on the wrong side on the back view, I noticed that and haven't gotten around to fixing it yet.[/EDIT]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by A.Stice; 10/07/2010 at 01:02 AM.
  2. #2  
    in my opinion the corners are too round. It makes the screen corners seem really on the edge.
  3. #3  
    The main problem I have is that it looks exactly like the current Pre with a few minor changes.

    That's fine I guess, but I'm kind of expecting something different.
  4. #4  
    I loving it! I don't mind that it looks similar to the Pre, especially if it's supposed to be a Pre 2. Most successors share a pretty similar form factor to the original.

    The specs you posted seem pretty good. Would love to see more specs and perhaps a final 3D render of this that's layered and textured. Great job though!
    I am, therefore I think
  5.    #5  
    I wish I could do a 3d render, but I don't have that particular skill. I can probably make a pretty decent vector render of it, though.

    I left it with the same form factor as the current Pre and Pre Plus because I really like that form factor. The rest of the specs are:

    - 3mp front facing camera
    - 6mp rear facing camera with AF technology and Carl Zeiss lens
    - Improved light sensor, digital compass, gyroscope, prox. sensor, accelerometer
    - 4g, 3g, wifi, bluetooth
    - 1.3 GHz processor or 1Ghz with SMP
    - 1400mAh battery
    - 512 or 1024mb of ram, 16gb or 32gb of disk space
    Last edited by A.Stice; 10/07/2010 at 11:28 AM.
  6. doc31's Avatar
    Posts
    707 Posts
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Stice View Post
    - Move the proximity sensor to the middle of the phone to preserve menu functionality while on a call
    What do you mean? i don't get it.
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
  7. #7  
    Yeah 3D rendering is a bit difficult. I like the specs you have because they seem realistic but they're still improvements to what we have now.

    I agree with you about the shape, I have no qualms with the Pre'sshape, it's just the build quality that needs to be better.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc31 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Stice View Post
    - Move the proximity sensor to the middle of the phone to preserve menu functionality while on a call
    What do you mean? i don't get it.
    I think he wants to move the proximity sensor behind the screen... but not possible.
  9. #9  
    I think he just means that he wants to move the proximity sensor away from its current location above the top right corner of the screen. That way, the screen will stop going dark while trying to open the system menu during a call. At least that's why I'd move it.
  10. shotyme's Avatar
    Posts
    168 Posts
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by PrestonJames View Post
    I think he just means that he wants to move the proximity sensor away from its current location above the top right corner of the screen. That way, the screen will stop going dark while trying to open the system menu during a call. At least that's why I'd move it.
    I agree with this. I have had issues trying to access the system menu while on a call, such as turning on wifi to surf internet while on a call.

    That makes sense to me.
  11. jurias's Avatar
    Posts
    159 Posts
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Stice View Post
    I started this a couple days ago, so I'm super excited that the new Pre will have a very similar form factor to the current Pre, as that's what I based my mockup on. I have a sketch on graph paper right now, and I'm going to bring that into Illustrator to make a higher quality render before submitting to the contest. Basic specs are:

    - 3.6 in display (at 640x960 it would be 320ppi)
    - Dual microphones for excellent call quality
    - Front facing camera
    - Rear facing camera with dual LED flash
    - Dedicated camera button (I hate having to tap the screen or use the keyboard to snap a picture)
    - Micro-USB moved to the bottom and cover removed
    - .5 in thin (compared to .67 in for pre)
    - Straight slider for improved build quality
    - Pixi keyboard
    - Move the proximity sensor to the middle of the phone to preserve menu functionality while on a call

    Large image

    What do you guys think?

    [EDIT]I know that the volume rockers are on the wrong side on the back view, I noticed that and haven't gotten around to fixing it yet.[/EDIT]
    i don't think it would have a straight slider since its going to be using the same touchstone cover.
  12.    #12  
    It could use the same cover and still be a straight slider, but it probably will be curved. I know there's going to be differences and I designed this before the FCC filing came out. If I was trying to design exactly what this device would be, I would do things differently, this is just what I want to see.

    As for the proximity sensor, yes, I meant above the middle of the screen, I am too often frustrated about not being able to turn bluetooth on from the menu while I'm in a call.
  13. jt99's Avatar
    Posts
    166 Posts
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    #13  
    I really like the design. Reminds me of a kin two without crappy software.
    I couldn't see palm getting away with releasing this as their highest level device, but I could see it replacing the current pre and having them introduce a new phone above it and a pixi2 below.
    Palm Pre. Sprint.

    View My Mockup!
  14. flea's Avatar
    Posts
    163 Posts
    Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    #14  
    dude, wow ...

    Next time dont let teh centro and the pre have sex.. MMMMKAY?!
  15. #15  
    wow some people have way to much time on their hands
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by flea View Post
    dude, wow ...

    Next time dont let teh centro and the pre have sex.. MMMMKAY?!
    Sorry, I don't understand this. Explain?

    Quote Originally Posted by omahawildcat View Post
    wow some people have way to much time on their hands
    Who, me? Number one, my wife has been in the hospital for the last 45 days and I'm there nearly 24/7, what else do I have to occupy my time? Number two, everyone's free time is theirs to do what they will. If we enjoy putting our speculations and desires into a visual form, why shouldn't we?
  17. mike5's Avatar
    Posts
    762 Posts
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    #17  
    Appreciate the time & effort you have put in to this. Praying that your wife will be ok & you all will leave the hospital soon.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by omahawildcat View Post
    wow some people have way to much time on their hands
    the irony is that you're surfing forums just to respond to posts you find to be a waste of time.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 10/08/2010 at 05:28 PM. Reason: language
  19. RafRol's Avatar
    Posts
    544 Posts
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    #19  
    Can't wait to see the Illustrator render!

    Just one thing, if the new device is going to use the exact same back, then you may have to reconsider the dual LED flash.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
    Appreciate the time & effort you have put in to this. Praying that your wife will be ok & you all will leave the hospital soon.
    Thanks for the concern. She's doing a lot better and after her surgery (hopefully next week) she should be start feeling better almost immediately.

    Quote Originally Posted by RafRol View Post
    Just one thing, if the new device is going to use the exact same back, then you may have to reconsider the dual LED flash.
    A great point, but since the content is for what I want the next device to look like, not what I think it will look like, I'm going to leave it with the dual flash. I'm also thinking about putting one together that has a landscape slider keyboard. Anybody dig the landscape keyboards, or no?

Posting Permissions