Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast
    Realax guys I'm sure this is not the only phone that is going to be released. This may be the last palm phone and the rest will be HP/Palm. So you have a number of choices. Buy the new pre2. Wait for the new HP/Palm phones. Or get both. Jump ship to some other OS. But most importantly which this is the one you should all pick is stop winning it's just a phone not the cure for cancer. I wouldn't mined a new and improved pre. I like my pre. Now I agree I think it needs to be better build quaity but if this is a hold me over phone then fine hold me over until the super phone comes out. If I have a pre2 and a palmpad then I don't need the super phone. No offence I'm just saying.
    so afterthis does this mean hp still meant early 2011? Or maybe they meant HP (not palm)would release a phone w web os on it in early 2011? Palm pre 2 now and hp super phone later? Guess well have to wait and see....
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    I disagree, I just measured them on my screen quickly with a ruler, the ratio i got for the length of the right bit to the middle bit was .7 for the original pre and 0.65 for the new sticker.

so its different, or my measuring is janky.

If then it is different, and i think there is variation in the width as well, (perhaps normalizing for the size of those holes would give us some real reference to work with? as i would immagine they are some standard part.) Then it looks like the layout would be for a slightly larger phone with the same shape as the pre, so perhaps a bumped up screen size, closer to 3.7, but thats real total conjecture on my part until someone can determine if something somewhere is standard sized, and then play off of that.

but thats what forums are for.
    I like what you are saying, so I want to believe it. Therefore, it must be true!
    I took another look at engadgets post on hp.. And no where does it say new palm phones coming early nxt year... Maybe this pre 2 / mansion is set for a november release keeping true to the palm will always have a physical keyboard thing.. And nxt year "early" HP will release a Hp branded super slate.... EDIT : meant to put "roadrunner" not "mansion"
    Last edited by gilbertg4x4; 10/07/2010 at 12:39 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by gilbertg4x4 View Post
    update: I took another look at engadgets post on hp.. And no where does it say new palm phones coming early nxt year... Maybe this pre 2 / mansion is set for a november release keeping true to the palm will always have a physical keyboard thing.. And nxt year "early" HP will release a Hp branded super slate....
    It says "No new WebOS phones coming until early next year". Unless I'm mistaken, this would be a new WebOS phone. I can understand one reading into it like you did if he said "no new HP phones", but he clearly said "No new WebOS phones" which makes your post completely invalid.
    Far as the battery life with the new more efficient processor, there won't be much of a difference in life since it's well documented that the data radio is the main culprit.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by frankos72 View Post
    Even if they had this phone planned before the HP takeover, they couldn't get the new proc from TI until like a month ago. So it couldn't have been released any sooner than 4q 2010.

Hopefully webOS 2.0 uses the GPU properly then a software upgrade on our current phones would even make them faster. Thus, making the new phone even better.
    3630s have been available for longer than that for Droid X
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Battery life will be improved despite the same size: WebOS 2.0 will be more battery efficient, and so is the processor. I don't care what the processor is clocked at. What matters is how smooth and snappy WebOS 2.0 is with a given clock speed.

I would like to guess that this phone could be a much needed unlocked Pre for the rest of the world. That would give HPalm a good boost in sales. Being that it's not in the "high-end" yet still competitive, the unsubsidized price would be reasonable.

They can squeeze another .1 to .2 inches into the screen size if it's the same size phone by reducing the bezel. A small resolution bump to 480x720 would be sweet on a 3.3inch screen while keeping costs down. An AMOLED screen would further improve battery life.

It would be dumb not to have an auto-focus camera. So I'm going to assume that it has one. I don't care for mega-pixels beyond 5, as long as it takes photos that will look good printed out on 8x10 max. Quality, not quantity.

I remember reading somewhere that it will slide just a bit more than our current Pre. That would lead me to think that they may have improved the keyboard, making the keys possibly taller or just giving more room to the top row of keys that some people (with big thumbs) have complained about.

P.S. : Is it just me, or do most people posting on this thread think that the P102UEU is being released in the U.S.?
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    I am glad for that, the Sprint Pre needed an update. I don't see anything wrong with the Pre-Plus, I have a Pixi and look forward to a low cost pre with a good kb and one of those seido 2600 mah batteries.
    Hanging on for dear life to WebOS, hopefully A speedy device that lets you control data comes unlocked (Pre2 still needs data plan) or Sprint lets me upgrade to a tenative Pre3 w/o lobbing that $10 on...
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Actually....OMAP 3630 is 720mhz....there is version only for Driod X that is 1ghz.
    I bet this new Palm phone has a OMAP 3640, which is actually 1ghz.
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    Far as the battery life with the new more efficient processor, there won't be much of a difference in life since it's well documented that the data radio is the main culprit.
    the radio is a huge hit (if im in a basement im dunzo) but screen brightness is also on of the biggest factors (obviously). Hopefully the screen is more efficient somehow. (OLED???? I doubt it tho cuz of teh shortages...)
    Quote Originally Posted by RafRol View Post
    P.S. : Is it just me, or do most people posting on this thread think that the P102UEU is being released in the U.S.?
    I think the P102UNA and P102EWW popped up on TUV database not to long ago and they were north american devices .... Not sure what it all means... Tho.. Well have to wait n see
    Quote Originally Posted by WrlsFanatic View Post
    We know this is 1GHz and has a 1150MAh battery. We know it will have roughly the same screen (since the model number of the Touchstone cover is the same as mine), MAYBE very slightly bigger.

There is no way in hell this device gets better battery life than this god-awful Pre. I'm switching jobs starting next week. I will no longer have a charger at my desk that I can go back to every few hours. This phone isn't even an OPTION for me.

I'm not going to jump the gun here. I know the phone isn't released. HOWEVER, we KNOW some features of the phone. Things that are 100% (again, 1GHz, 1150 MAh, slider, and roughly the same size). Based on what we KNOW, this phone is a joke. I honestly believe that a Pre at 1GHz isn't really even fast enough to move as smoothly as an EVO or Epic (my o/c'd Pre is WAY slower, so even with having a native 1GHz proc it's not going to make up all that ground).

Sorry, I'm venting. I know I'm leaving for Android in a week, but I really hoped HP would come out swinging with the next phone and win me back in a year when I can get my phone back... clearly not going to happen.

Side note: If this really is just a Pre with a better camera, build quality, and processor, then how in the HELL does it take them an extra 6 months (assuming it WOULD have been ready in June) to release it? It's the same phone! Quality testing should take 1/10th the time!
    totally hear you about the battery issue, but now thanks to a $12 amazon charger cradle, I just carry a spare in my pocket. Soon as the phone craps out in the evening, I just swap the battery out and I'm back in the game at 100% juice in 3 minutes of restart time. When I get home, I charge the phone on touchstone and put the drained original on the charging station. Pick up the phone and the charged spare on my way out the door the next morning.

Honestly, more of us need to do this. Just carry a charged spare. No more hassle, just change the battery like you do a game cartridge. This is the single best investment I ever made (no need for an extra charger or a fueltank charger...I leave those at home). The spare is the orignal palm battery and I use a seidio 1350 I bought from mobilecityonline.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Moneybags View Post
    It says "No new WebOS phones coming until early next year". Unless I'm mistaken, this would be a new WebOS phone. I can understand one reading into it like you did if he said "no new HP phones", but he clearly said "No new WebOS phones" which makes your post completely invalid.
    No it says "You will see us coming early nxt year with new phones" and headline says "New web os phones coming early next year" no where do I see "No new web os phones"
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/06/hp-new-webos-phones-coming-early-next-year/
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    If I'm reading this right...

Texas Instruments OMAP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

...the OMAP 3430 and the 3640 have the same DSP and GPU's so it wouldn't appear to get much of a boost in that area. Does that chart read the same way to you guys?

EDIT:
    This article suggests that the SGX530 in the 3640 can be overclocked and have less bandwidth constraints on memory...

http://alienbabeltech.com/main/?p=19309
    Last edited by dreznicek; 10/07/2010 at 01:04 AM. Reason: Add a link
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilbertg4x4 View Post
    I think the P102UNA and P102EWW popped up on TUV database not to long ago and they were north american devices .... Not sure what it all means... Tho.. Well have to wait n see
    The point that I was trying to make is that the P102UEU is destined for markets outside of the U.S., yet people seem to be reacting to it as if it's meant for the U.S. market.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    This is a pretty good writeup of the OMAP 36xx series chips in comparison to the 34xx.

TI die-shrinks OMAP3 - News - Linux for Devices
    Is there any evidence to suggest a horizontal slider (landscape)

--Sent using Tap@Talk for webOS
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RafRol View Post
    The point that I was trying to make is that the P102UEU is destined for markets outside of the U.S., yet people seem to be reacting to it as if it's meant for the U.S. market.
    not the P102UEU specifically, but this specific model has given the most information on the new P102 phones. UEU is for Europe, yes, but like you were told already, there are 2 others that are destined for the US, one for GSM, another for CDMA, all P102 phones.

It just happens to be that the European one leaked the most info about this new generation of Pre.
    Last edited by asharrop; 10/07/2010 at 01:46 AM. Reason: typo
    Quote Originally Posted by mfive View Post
    the same basic form-factor as the pre???? didn't they get enough returns through warranty (i went through 7, yes SEVEN in under a year) to realize that the design of that phone sucked balls?
    To be fair they didnt have anough money to make the phone of the quality we all wanted it to be, yet they developed a great OS with the little they had left.
    Im all for the form factor, i find it really convenient, mainly because its small enough so i dont notice it in my pocket all day (contrary to say, an EVO or a droid) yet i have the keyboard which could be better (see blackberry torch).

My guess is they will keep the form factor, maybe make it a tiny bit bigger (as stated here with the scaling of the label pics) but will have better build and material quality. At least thats what i would do.

Many of us love the pre form factor, it is not the issue, the issue is the build quality paired with not-good-at-all materials.
Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast