Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kentuckywildcats View Post
    ...hopefully we are looking at a release date in early November, with Black Friday the latest.
    No one is stupid enough to release a device on Black Friday. People would literally die. And even if they do, for that and other reasons, I'll be buying no earlier than Saturday, or more probably, Monday.
    while i'm with you on the hope train for Black Friday (or earlier) release, I don't know how one would get a good estimate with the TUV and FCC info. TUV (Germany) had the US phone while FCC had the EU phone.

Methinx this is a bit of a shell game by HP/Palm to keep us guessing.
    I see pandas.
    Is anyone bothered by the fact that these devices are not showing up in their proper certification databases? American phones showing up in German database and a European phone in the FCC database? I am a little, I guess.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    The HTC Evo had earned the FCC approval around May 7th (HTC EVO 4G earns FCC's blessing, WiMAX and all -- Engadget) and was released on June 4th, about 4 weeks since approval. So hopefully we are looking at a release date in early November, with Black Friday the latest.
    However as Engadget points out this is a "UEU" GSM phone, for release in Europe, right? So I'm not sure what conclusions if any can be drawn about when or if this phone will be released in the US.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    wow, i was really hoping for a landmark product so that i could switch back to webos from my EVO, but unfortunately my dreams have thus far been shattered.

this better get way better, because as it stands, i am NOT impressed. the same basic form-factor as the pre???? didn't they get enough returns through warranty (i went through 7, yes SEVEN in under a year) to realize that the design of that phone sucked balls? i really hope that h/palm lives up to everyone's expectations... so far re-releasing a phone that in my opinion (hardware wise) was a failure is just a joke.

just my opinion though, let the flaming begin...
    Palm Pilot -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Pre -> Touchpad
    The HTC Evo had earned the FCC approval around May 7th (HTC EVO 4G earns FCC's blessing, WiMAX and all -- Engadget) and was released on June 4th, about 4 weeks since approval. So hopefully we are looking at a release date in early November, with Black Friday the latest.
    Hope you are right and we get some solid specs! Going to bed for real now, will check in tomorrow and see how many flames I get tomorrow...
    So are we all feeling more confident about webOS 2.0 coming out soon?

Lets hear it doubters, Palm is a month +/- away from releasing a new phone, and they are going to put 1.X on it?
    I don't get it - HP says NEXT YEAR - maybe they actually mean NEXT YEAR

the good news is early next year, it is possible that part supplies are constrained by everyone else being lined up and HP having been tweaking alot and smart enough not to release half backed, rushed phone that ticks people off.
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfive View Post
    wow, i was really hoping for a landmark product so that i could switch back to webos from my EVO, but unfortunately my dreams have thus far been shattered.

this better get way better, because as it stands, i am NOT impressed. the same basic form-factor as the pre???? didn't they get enough returns through warranty (i went through 7, yes SEVEN in under a year) to realize that the design of that phone sucked balls? i really hope that h/palm lives up to everyone's expectations... so far re-releasing a phone that in my opinion (hardware wise) was a failure is just a joke.

just my opinion though, let the flaming begin...
    Sorry no flaming. I just ask how the same form factor automatically equals the same build quality? The design of the phone was fine, many people liked it. The hardware and the construction was not done well. They are not one in the same. Now, if this phone has the same exact construction and they didn't try to make any improvements in that area, then yes that is a failure or a joke.
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Kernel View Post
    Is anyone bothered by the fact that these devices are not showing up in their proper certification databases? American phones showing up in German database and a European phone in the FCC database? I am a little, I guess.
    Actually TUV is more like a cert lab. The cert that was granted allows them to be certified at both IC and FCC with one set of test results

As for EU device showing up in FCC, this allows the device to be used in North America, not necessarily sold.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    We know this is 1GHz and has a 1150MAh battery. We know it will have roughly the same screen (since the model number of the Touchstone cover is the same as mine), MAYBE very slightly bigger.

There is no way in hell this device gets better battery life than this god-awful Pre. I'm switching jobs starting next week. I will no longer have a charger at my desk that I can go back to every few hours. This phone isn't even an OPTION for me.

I'm not going to jump the gun here. I know the phone isn't released. HOWEVER, we KNOW some features of the phone. Things that are 100% (again, 1GHz, 1150 MAh, slider, and roughly the same size). Based on what we KNOW, this phone is a joke. I honestly believe that a Pre at 1GHz isn't really even fast enough to move as smoothly as an EVO or Epic (my o/c'd Pre is WAY slower, so even with having a native 1GHz proc it's not going to make up all that ground).

Sorry, I'm venting. I know I'm leaving for Android in a week, but I really hoped HP would come out swinging with the next phone and win me back in a year when I can get my phone back... clearly not going to happen.

Side note: If this really is just a Pre with a better camera, build quality, and processor, then how in the HELL does it take them an extra 6 months (assuming it WOULD have been ready in June) to release it? It's the same phone! Quality testing should take 1/10th the time!
    Quote Originally Posted by WrlsFanatic View Post
    We know this is 1GHz and has a 1150MAh battery. We know it will have roughly the same screen (since the model number of the Touchstone cover is the same as mine), MAYBE very slightly bigger.

There is no way in hell this device gets better battery life
    TI says the OMAP3630 (which is a 45nm device) uses up to 2x less power compared to the processor that is in the current-generation Pre.

Seriously mate, for your own health, it might be best not to read PreCentral forums if you've already made up your mind about your next device.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WrlsFanatic View Post

There is no way in hell this device gets better battery life than this god-awful Pre. I'm switching jobs starting next week. I will no longer have a charger at my desk that I can go back to every few hours. This phone isn't even an OPTION for me.

I'm not going to jump the gun here. I know the phone isn't released. HOWEVER, we KNOW some features of the phone. Things that are 100% (again, 1GHz, 1150 MAh, slider, and roughly the same size). Based on what we KNOW, this phone is a joke. I honestly believe that a Pre at 1GHz isn't really even fast enough to move as smoothly as an EVO or Epic (my o/c'd Pre is WAY slower, so even with having a native 1GHz proc it's not going to make up all that ground).

Sorry, I'm venting. I know I'm leaving for Android in a week, but I really hoped HP would come out swinging with the next phone and win me back in a year when I can get my phone back... clearly not going to happen.

Side note: If this really is just a Pre with a better camera, build quality, and processor, then how in the HELL does it take them an extra 6 months (assuming it WOULD have been ready in June) to release it? It's the same phone! Quality testing should take 1/10th the time!
    Ok, before "venting" you should read through stuff, like this thread. It has been pointed out that the possible 1gHz processor actually uses less power then the current processor running at 500mHz. We don't know yet if webOS 2.0 also brings battery improvements from the OS side of things. As far a show smooth it runs, again you have not seen a Pre running on this 1gHz processor. The current Pre processor overclocked at 1gHz is not going to be the exact same as a newer processor running at 1gHz, not to mention unknowns about any GPU on board the new device. Once again, webOS 2.0 itself also plays into the "smoothness" you talk about.

As for the length to release the phone? The purchase of HP and possible minor changes in things due to that may have had something to do with that.

Perhaps a "wait and see" stance before trying to rip this may be wise for some.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Actually TUV is more like a cert lab. The cert that was granted allows them to be certified at both IC and FCC with one set of test results

As for EU device showing up in FCC, this allows the device to be used in North America, not necessarily sold.
    Yeah, Palm uses certification labs that have automatic qualification in multiple jurisdictions.

Since the UEU version of the device has the most potential global GSM customers for a globally-focused HP that has a presence in 138 countries, it makes sense to have that model FCC certified first

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    precentral shouldn't post this stuff...too many people read into things they have no idea what they are...they need to see commercials with bells and whistles...shiny things
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Yeah, Palm uses certification labs that have automatic qualification in multiple jurisdictions.

Since the UEU version of the device has the most potential global GSM customers for a globally-focused HP that has a presence in 138 countries, it makes sense to have that model FCC certified first

-- Rod
    Could this have also gone through the TUV cert process as well then? Perhaps it is the unnamed device that was in that 4 page report?
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I think this is the phone that Palm intended to release this past summer before the HP buyout took place. It makes a lot more sense that way for them to produce a refresh product after a year, then do a whole new ground up phone the year after. Otherwise, I would think they would have gone with a bigger display/battery which all other smartphones are using currently (at least 3.5"). If this phone does retain the same form factor then I think it is being pushed more for the Enterprise market because the battery life improvement with a newer, more efficient processor and retaining the small screen. It may then be able to compete with, but probably not beat, Blackberries in terms of battery life, and offer much more functionality and useablity that comes with webOS.
    I was worried when HP had the winning bid for Palm, they just didn't seemed like innovators to me or a company that walked on the cutting edge. Rather they will use tech that has been in the market for 4-6 months because it is proven, and a better business decision. But hey, I do hope I am wrong on that because as it stands webOS is the only OS that has everything I need and I would love some killer hardware.
    if the Pre 2 with the same size screen and keyboard, but with an updated processor/ram/camera comes out before this year ends...i may just wait until CES to upgrade...just in case they come out with a 4-inch super awesome slab phone.
    Even if they had this phone planned before the HP takeover, they couldn't get the new proc from TI until like a month ago. So it couldn't have been released any sooner than 4q 2010.

Hopefully webOS 2.0 uses the GPU properly then a software upgrade on our current phones would even make them faster. Thus, making the new phone even better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulcreatr View Post
    I think this is the phone that Palm intended to release this past summer before the HP buyout took place. It makes a lot more sense that way for them to produce a refresh product after a year, then do a whole new ground up phone the year after. Otherwise, I would think they would have gone with a bigger display/battery which all other smartphones are using currently (at least 3.5"). If this phone does retain the same form factor then I think it is being pushed more for the Enterprise market because the battery life improvement with a newer, more efficient processor and retaining the small screen. It may then be able to compete with, but probably not beat, Blackberries in terms of battery life, and offer much more functionality and useablity that comes with webOS.
    I was worried when HP had the winning bid for Palm, they just didn't seemed like innovators to me or a company that walked on the cutting edge. Rather they will use tech that has been in the market for 4-6 months because it is proven, and a better business decision. But hey, I do hope I am wrong on that because as it stands webOS is the only OS that has everything I need and I would love some killer hardware.
    I don't think that's the case since Palm is a separate entity within HP. To my knowledge, it isn't being completely melded in. Think of it like Alienware/Dell rather than, say, BlindType and Google. This could very well be like Compaq/HP while retaining the brand name and whatnot, but I don't think that's the case at all.

What I'm most worried about is how HP will handle the OS. I'm worried s**tless HP will bloat up WebOS like they do to their PCs and/or fiddle around with the philosophy of WebOS by tightening up unofficial apps, patches, themes, etc. Hardware shouldn't be the issue at all, the issue (in my opinion) is how they handle the OS and whether they choose to fragment it a la Android.

What HP's doing is bringing their wallets into this. What this means isn't only marketing support but perhaps giving Palm the ability to spend more on things like the build quality of the phone and let the app market and beefed up advertising pay back the dividends. My opinion is Palm couldn't afford to spend the extra moolah on better materials/a better build and thought the OS would rake in the dough for a better phone. Unfortunately, that didn't happen. HP should be able to experiment with this much more and make many more risks than Palm ever could alone, since they don't have bankruptcy hovering over their shoulder, and bring the concept to the top where it very well could be, and where many people feel WebOS should be.

My thoughts.
Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast