Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
    Everybody keeps spewing 1ghz...higher clock speed doesn't necessarily mean it's faster than an 800mhz device...

Megahertz myth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And here go's a familiar face explaining this myth...

Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    CASTLE and ROADRUNNER...simple
    Quote Originally Posted by Croathlete View Post
    Remember when we first heard of the Roadrunner, it mentioned a 960x640 resolution? I'll take the same screen size/form factor with the upgraded specs and higher resolution.
    There was Roadrunner HD and Roadrunner. HD had the 960x640, not Roadrunner.

http://www.precentral.net/roadrunner...s-time-640x960
    http://www.precentral.net/webos-20-r...oursquare-logs
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by bnceo View Post
    How are FCC IDs made? Are they somewhat chosen based on randomness or off codenames? Palm Pre (Sprint) FCC ID is O8F-CASC. This new one is: O8F-ROAY.
    Then if the FCC ID incorporates the codename:

O8F-CASC = Castle = Pre

O8F-ROAY = Roadrunner = Pre Part Duex?

EDIT: Wow, didn't realize I typed THAT slow! =P
    I see pandas.
    gotta question so is this a gsm device? cause i see that through the fcc filings? i dont know much about fcc filings so whats the deal on thaT?
    Quote Originally Posted by ferriskeanu View Post
    Everybody keeps spewing 1ghz...higher clock speed doesn't necessarily mean it's faster than an 800mhz device...

Megahertz myth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And here go's a familiar face explaining this myth...

Yes and no. If the CPUs are of the same family then a higher clock speed does translate to faster.

e.g. a Pentium 120MHz is faster than a Pentium 75MHz.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    CAStle. ROAdrunner.

And to throw in the loop, PIXie (original codename of the, er, Pixi.)

O8F is Palm's Grantee code.
    Would not be shocked if Mansion is the next coming of Palm. True 2nd generation that is a pure slab no keyboard device and this Roadrunner or w/e it is is simply the same form factor as our Pres, but just juiced up to no end. Especially made to handle WebOS 2.0 with ease.

Remember, WebOS is built to scale. Would not be worried about diff screen sizes and form factor sizes.

However, they need to get the App Catalog in order. Pre people should ONLY see Pre PDK apps and not Pixi PDK apps. No idea how ot handle scaling on that level.
    Here is my perfect scenario (dream). Ruby says "We have all this stock of unsold Pre +'s", engineer says "Hey, lets pull them back, up the RAM again, put the 3630 in cause it fits the footprint and sell an upgraded Pre ++". Ruby says "That wouldn't fly". HP says "We will sell it outright on our website for $150, and people can just swap out their current phones until we can launch at CES. Won't change their upgrade status or anything!"

Yes, I know I walked through the looking glass here, but they would dump their inventory, make Sprint users happy, and not be giving everything away.
    - Jeff
    Palm Pre- and a 32 GB TouchPad.
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eggroks View Post
    gotta question so is this a gsm device? cause i see that through the fcc filings? i dont know much about fcc filings so whats the deal on thaT?
    Allegedly, this is the Euro version of the 102 versions we saw on the german certification site. Interesting that they pulled a switcheroo on this.

Can we safely assume that the devices from last week and this one are the same except diff cell radios?
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Just to refresh memories on Roadrunner rumors from August:

"Initially the Palm c40 (under Palm) was put in two concepts designs. One was a slide out portrait, very reminiscent of the Pre. The other was a horizontal slider very much like the Epic 4G. The stats back in March/April were quite impressive:

•1ghz CPU
    •3.7″ glass screen
    •Revamped physical keyboard
    •Amazing thinness ~0.5″
    •Newer versions of webOS
    •5MP camera with 720p recording capabilities
    •800 x 480 resolution
    The phone was initially slated for a July 2010 release. You see, Sprint had quite an amazing little plan. Their goal was to release one 4G smartphone per month all summer long; The Evo would be released in June, the c40 in July, and the Epic in August. All three devices would be geared towards different audiences, but they would all offer the same ultra fast speeds. This release date changed however when HP stepped on the scene in April.

The first thing HP introduced to this testing lineup was a new “prototype phone” with specs they wanted to see in the two previous models. It had:

•4″ LCD capacitive glass screen
    •8MP camera with 720p recording
    •Front facing camera
    •960 x 640 resolution
    •DLNA support
    •1.2ghz CPU "
    ROA for roadrunner makes sense

they are running down there road-map

also, whats this talk of the back being the same? which document of those on the fcc site show that?
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    ROA for roadrunner makes sense

they are running down there road-map

also, whats this talk of the back being the same? which document of those on the fcc site show that?
    I think it was Rod who said this. And if he says this, I believe him and won't go hunting down the info.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The touchstone used in the certification testing of the P102UEU has the same part number as the existing touchstone, meaning that your existing touchstone is compatible with the P102 phone.

-- Rod
    I think it was Rod who said this. And if he says this, I believe him and won't go hunting down the info.
    thats the only post from Rod i can see addressing touchstones in this thread

to that end it sounds like he is saying it is the Touchstone, being certified to work with the device. he is not saying the back is the same size.

Perhaps he posted it somewhere else?
    There are four lights.
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    thats the only post from Rod i can see addressing touchstones in this thread

to that end it sounds like he is saying it is the Touchstone, being certified to work with the device. he is not saying the back is the same size.

Perhaps he posted it somewhere else?
    My fault. Credited wrong post:

http://forums.precentral.net/future-...ml#post2696838
    thanks

I had seen that, but thought rod was replying to it directly.

however in reading the actual document, on page 6 it clearly has the current touchstone back listed.

thanks again!
    There are four lights.
    Wow people is never satisfied.. Anybody think palm 'letted this get out' so people can stick around.. ??
    As others stated and I also viewed in the docs, the FCC filing states the following specs:

EU phone
    Slider
    1 Ghz
    1150 mah

Now, if only they had not filed the confidentiality request for the pictures...
    I see pandas.
    IDK, I really want an auto-focus camera (as far as I know, Palm has never had this, I've had a treo 6XXw, 7XXw and the pre. None of which have even a half ***ed camera) I am just getting a little tired of all these rumors of dual core blah, blah, blah, Xmp camera, blah, blah, blah and this will actually run stuff, blah, blah, blah. And when HP/palm make a slip and let something fly to press, it's not up to par as where it should be.

I am somewhat of a webOS developer. Yeah most of you could give 2 *smurfs* about my apps (they are all to a small group of peeps, if you don't have a Flying Saucer near you AND are a member, don't play WoW AND collect tabards, or don't play FFXIV then I'm a P.O.S. dev to you) BUT, without question, my saucer app is better than any alternatives on rival phone OSes... heck Apple doesn't even have a contender. A friend of mine is begging me to port the Saucer app to android as he just bought one (he had a Pre, but got tired of waiting) and his brother wants to pay all expenses to port it to iPhone. Anyhow, I really like webOS and want to stay true to Palm, but I'm getting worn out with this waiting game. My phone is so laggy and missing features that should have been there (auto focus, apps, etc ok maybe app shouldn't have been there day one) that I am ready to jump ship. I'm such a small dev that it wouldn't put a dent in Palms app catalog, but at the same time, if I jump, my apps jump too (as insignificant as they may be to you). I code in spare time and multiplatform is out of the question. Where are the USAA, Netflix, aroundMe, Bump, etc. apps??? Palm is possibly going to satisfy me for a bit (NDA so don't ask), but I want new hardware now and not catch up hardware that gets me where Android phones have been for months. - Sorry, just a bit of a rant, my wife wants to jump to an iPhone and is cursing palm more and more and my patience is wearing thin too. "If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy."

And why do android and iPhone apps open instantaneously while I have to wait? ohhh i get a small card that assures me that the app I want to open is coming soon.

again sorry for the rant. It's time to turn in for the night.
  19.    #139  
    The HTC Evo had earned the FCC approval around May 7th (HTC EVO 4G earns FCC's blessing, WiMAX and all -- Engadget) and was released on June 4th, about 4 weeks since approval. So hopefully we are looking at a release date in early November, with Black Friday the latest.
    Holly crapalishouse Batman a new pre! sounds good to me.
Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast