Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by thewbman View Post
    A lot of those specs for the Droid X are related to the other chips inside the phone. And just because a CPU can support some feature doesn't mean it will show up in a new Palm phone.
    Bingo. I wouldn't count on anything more than spec-bumping over the current Pre Plus stats: more processor, more storage, more megapixels, and maybe more RAM (not really needed, though). No new radios or ports or anything else that would require a significant hardware redesign.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    A lot of those specs for the Droid X are related to the other chips inside the phone. And just because a CPU can support some feature doesn't mean it will show up in a new Palm phone.
    True, but this will test the stupidity of Palm/Hp. Why in the world would they release phone based on the same processor of a phone from 6 months ago with much worse specs? If this is the case, then yes, Fire Ruby!!
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Depending on how much this is off contract, I might just get it if it's released before CES. Whenever a very sweet phone comes off the line, I'll use my discount on that and give my Pre Plus Plus to the gf (who just got a brand new march 2010 pre last weekend).
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Plus, lets assume half of Sprint users upgrade....that is nothing....a crappy OMAP 3630 under utilized will be a HUGE MISTAKE.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Search for O8F as the Grantee Code and ROAY as the Product Code. Then click Details.

https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/...ericSearch.cfm
    Unfortunately that doesn't result in a successful search. Thanks tho.
    Quote Originally Posted by crg28 View Post
    Being the OMAP 3630, we can assume these specs:
    1Ghz
    512mb Ram
    720p Video
    HDMI out
    8 MP camera w Auto focus and Dual Flash
    Micro SD Card (up to 32gb)
    FM Radio
    2.1 + EDR BT
    Everything except the MicroSDHC card, FM Radio and auto focus are worth betting on, but certainly not guaranteed. The other three require hardware redesigns and are actually worth betting against. I would love to be wrong, however.
    I dnt get what the complaining is about those who want the same pre form factor will get it.... Everyone is saying well that's what I have right now... Not true! A pre plus does not have a 1ghz unless it's clocked so imagine what you can clock this one to... Maybe 1.5 or more ... Also I have a clocked 1ghz pre(sprint) it's a huge jump for me hardware is a disaster... IMO a pre w better build , better hardware, ( camera, flash, resolution ect.) so for me if this hits b4 dec. I'm in...
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    FOr those that want to know.,..he it is:

https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/...%27O8F-ROAY%27
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    Bingo. I wouldn't count on anything more than spec-bumping over the current Pre Plus stats: more processor, more storage, more megapixels, and maybe more RAM (not really needed, though). No new radios or ports or anything else that would require a significant hardware redesign.
    It seems like a huge waste of resources to make this the first HPalm phone. The Pre is old and not selling well - why make a tiny bump on the same phone?
    When we get more details I can decide if I want to go for P102 (if it's even on Sprint) and get my palmpad too. I am dying for the webOS tablet, and I don't really want a 4" phone if I've got the palmpad.
    1Ghz Processor
    512MB RAM
    5MP Camera, 8MP preferred of course ;-)
    MICROSD CARD SLOT!!!!!!!
    Better keyboard
    Preferably a slightly larger screen, at least 3.4"
    Better battery life
    Better hardware build

There isn't too much terribly wrong wtih the current Pre/Plus spec-wise. They do need to up the processor to at least 800Mhz if not 1Ghz and they really need to add external storage to this thing. I'm not too concerned with the camera and a 5MP should be plenty. The keyboard really needs upgrading, but if its using the same Touchstone back instead of making a larger back, HPalm isn't giving the phone enough room to improve the keybaord with.

About the screen size, unless I'm mistaken, if HPalm is keeping the phone's ratio instead of going the 16:9 route Motorola went with, increasing the screen size .3" would be plenty and seem much larger. Of course I'm not mathematician and I could be wrong, but wouldn't a 3.7" 3:2 screen be overkill? But if HPalm is in fact using the same back, that probably means no screen size change nor the ability to significantly change the keyboard, which I think the Pre desperately needs. I just want to upgrade from my Moto Droid 1 and I really want my next device to be a WebOS one.

C'mon HPalm! Don't let me down!
    Quote Originally Posted by toby2010 View Post
    It seems like a huge waste of resources to make this the first HPalm phone. The Pre is old and not selling well - why make a tiny bump on the same phone?
    When we get more details I can decide if I want to go for P102 (if it's even on Sprint) and get my palmpad too. I am dying for the webOS tablet, and I don't really want a 4" phone if I've got the palmpad.
    I doubt it's a "waste of resources" if the phone was already in the pipeline and ready to go, even before the buyout took place.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by palmuse View Post
    Unfortunately that doesn't result in a successful search. Thanks tho.
    Try -ROAY (with the hyphen at the front)
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

Remember when we first heard of the Roadrunner, it mentioned a 960x640 resolution? I'll take the same screen size/form factor with the upgraded specs and higher resolution.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    I doubt it's a "waste of resources" if the phone was already in the pipeline and ready to go, even before the buyout took place.
    This explains why RUBY was "frustrated" with the timing of new releases...
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    See POST 109
    of course, I just got a pre plus today, so now it seems the new version will be released soon.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
    Except... if the antennas were, in fact, reconfigured, then that opens up the possibility that other internal doodads and whatnots were also reconfigured. As component sizes shrink from generation to generation, one option is to bump the spec. 512 RAM now fits where only 256 RAM could fit before, as in the Pre Plus' case. The other option is to squeeze more stuff in. I am hoping they found a way to include a MicroSDHC card, even if they shove it beneath the battery compartment, but I am not smurfing* myself over it.

* Holding my breath and turning blue.
    Ha. I was just going to post that. Just figured it out. Boy, this is fun stuff. Thx for your help. Gunna do some reading now.
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    How are FCC IDs made? Are they somewhat chosen based on randomness or off codenames? Palm Pre (Sprint) FCC ID is O8F-CASC. This new one is: O8F-ROAY.
    Quote Originally Posted by bnceo View Post
    How are FCC IDs made? Are they somewhat chosen based on randomness or off codenames? Palm Pre (Sprint) FCC ID is O8F-CASC. This new one is: O8F-ROAY.
    CAStle. ROAdrunner.

And to throw in the loop, PIXie (original codename of the, er, Pixi.)

O8F is Palm's Grantee code.