Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12171819202122
    Quote Originally Posted by zerohaste View Post
    One of my biggest issues with this small refresh is that I haven't used my 1 year upgrade, because there was nothing to use it on. It'd be pretty upset if I used it on this, and it turned out this was just a small refresh/minor upgrade and the real next-gen WebOS phone was hitting in 6 months.
    I was just going to say, I hope if and when this "refresh" comes to the market, it is accompanied by more concrete news - or god forbid a roadmap - of other upcoming Palm devices, so we can make an educated decision as opposed to jumping on the very next thing that says "webOS" on the back.
    Yeah. That's the thing im debating right now... Although, I JUST made my own Sprint Pre Plus, so hopefully this will tide me over till next year... >.<.
    Quote Originally Posted by darkproteus66 View Post
    I would love a horizontal slider personally
    Just as an example, most people feel that RIM makes the best keyboards on the market. They are all portrait keyboards. Typing on a portrait is just so much faster since the keys are closer together so your fingers need less travel to get to the next key.

But if there are enough people out there that want a horizontal slider, Palm should make it. It can't hurt. Though I still believe webOS was designed around the portrit keyboard. Making it work with a horizontal slider would require a lot of apps to be redesigned to have a landscape layout.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by flea View Post
    they could be doing cannonballs in the pool right now by leaking pics/details... So until they do that, nobody is getting wet.

right now, we're the only ones anxious. Sadly no one else has Palm products on their radar.

HP how small are you willing to let this webOS community get before you try to sell a basket with all your eggs in it? (CES)
    They way HP probably see it is that the hardcore webOS users are so entrenched in the platform that they will wait till something new comes around no matter what. (I am one of these people, IDK if android would be able to work with what I expect from my phone plus building back up my 100+ paid apps)

On the flip side they know that other people are going to leave and that they would rather have a full set of phones available for customers and that they may need to lose some people to make sure that they launch right to gain more customers later on.

I honestly do not think that HP is going to try and release a spec bumped phone as their flagship but lets take a look back and see what's actually in the phone.

1 ghz proc
    512 mb ram

This is up there with current android flagship phones spec wise.
    Yes I know that it's not long before we start seeing new faster procs on phones but trying to win a specs arms race with android is a fool's fever dream.

Even still going forward we will probably still be seeing these specs make up a large part of the mid range in the phone market for the next 6-8 months at the very least.

If we assume that the phones we are seeing now in the FCC filing and the supposed new pixi found in the app logs are just made from repurposed plus parts with similar form factors it makes sense that we would see hints of them first as they probably had to have less engineering go into them hence why they are in a final/near final form and being submitted. (the next pre at least)

we are still 3-5 month from seeing a new flagship(s) phone(s) to fill the high end which is plenty of time to bring a phone from an engineering beta to final form and submitted to the proper channles for final release approval.

I've waited this long and don't mind waiting a bit longer if it means that we get well constructed phones on the high end, launched properly (ie. not announced 5 months before release) and with the media blitz they deserve.

I totally rambled on this post but that's because I wrote this over the course of 45 min while working sorry
    check my webos facebook group http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=129304747081175

help me reach my goal to be the first non celebrity on twitter with 1 million followers http://www.twitter.com/darkproteus66

LONG LIVE HOMEBREW!!!
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

If HP needs to worry one iota about current customers, then the game is already lost.

HP needs to worry about the tens to hundreds to thousands times more new customers at all levels in the smartphone tiers (and note that low-tier and mid-tier have orders of magnitude more potential customers than the high-tier) to succeed. And they need to focus globally.

So what a small minority of existing Palm customers that happen to hang out on PreCentral think is probably not really that important in the grand scheme of re-launching a new roadmap of HP mobile devices.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Well said Rod.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by zerohaste View Post
    One of my biggest issues with this small refresh is that I haven't used my 1 year upgrade, because there was nothing to use it on. It'd be pretty upset if I used it on this, and it turned out this was just a small refresh/minor upgrade and the real next-gen WebOS phone was hitting in 6 months.
    That's why I'm waiting for CES
    check my webos facebook group http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=129304747081175

help me reach my goal to be the first non celebrity on twitter with 1 million followers http://www.twitter.com/darkproteus66

LONG LIVE HOMEBREW!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Just as an example, most people feel that RIM makes the best keyboards on the market. They are all portrait keyboards. Typing on a portrait is just so much faster since the keys are closer together so your fingers need less travel to get to the next key.

But if there are enough people out there that want a horizontal slider, Palm should make it. It can't hurt. Though I still believe webOS was designed around the portrit keyboard. Making it work with a horizontal slider would require a lot of apps to be redesigned to have a landscape layout.

Understand why they went with a portrait slider but issue is I have mammoth hands. I can almost make a fist around my pre with it in my palm. Landscape is just more comfortable for long typing sessions for me. To be fair I came from BlackBerry to the pre and was still wishing for landscape

LONG LIVE HOMEBREW!!!
    Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    you folks sure do have a lot of faith in a device(s) we know nothing about.

I guess I would as well if there some solid track record for recent quality mobile hardware from either entity.

besides that, HP needs attention towards webOS right now... But who in the heck besides us is even aware of the future webOS device rumors??

NO ONE, not when there's a new android device announced every week.

if not for our sanity... Hp needs to start releasing some sort of details to incite interest asap.
    so does palm try to steal some shine from the wm7 launch tomorrow or do they continue to stay mum?
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    the most important customers are the ones they don't have yet!
    anyone who has not owned a smartphone yet and is in the market will surely talk to friends / family / coworkers...etc. for their opinion.

with iphone, android, and maybe blackberry dominating the markets do you really think webOS will come up as a suggestion?
    if they release new devices with comparable specs to others on the market, why wouldn't we recommend them?

I certainly would have convinced my wife and sister in law to get a pre plus squared instead of the droid2 had palm released it earlier.

that's atleast 2 customers...
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    HP needs to worry about the tens to hundreds to thousands times more new customers at all levels in the smartphone tiers (and note that low-tier and mid-tier have orders of magnitude more potential customers than the high-tier) to succeed. And they need to focus globally.
    I agree Rod, but if the stronger rumors being reported by the Wall Street Journal for the iPhone going to Verizon in early 2011 are true, they also have to think strategically about introduction times. Their product announcements can't afford to be run over by other news of that magnitude.

I have concerns about an iPhone launch on Verizon overshadowing HP announcements early next year.

The multiple tiers of smartphone is very true - many of us here are technology driven and early adopters, but others - far more than us - are not. My wife has a Pre only because I got one and she saw what it could do to simplify some things (email checking, etc). And there are a lot more like her in my family and friends circle than there are like me.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    if they release new devices with comparable specs to others on the market, why wouldn't we recommend them?

I certainly would have convinced my wife and sister in law to get a pre plus squared instead of the droid2 had palm released it earlier.

that's atleast 2 customers...
    matched in specs......possibly
    matched in apps?.......your 2 customers will no longer trust your judgement!
    the majority of apps they have downloaded are small games like poke a mole.

did you know android doesn't come with a note taking app? When I went to download one, there were thousands. She just wanted a note taking app...

She needed a netflix queue app...the selection wasn't great, based on reviews in the market.

oh, and there's the matter of setting up the homescreens...very customizable, but in the end a haphazard result.

seriously, they woulda purchased the pre plus had it been more up to date. The constant complaint I hear from them both is that their phone is too heavy.
    i still think webos will give android a run for it's money in 2011-2012. im hoping the pre2 will come to sprint with better specs.
    Quote Originally Posted by stockh View Post
    yes iphone & android have more apps BUT honestly who cares? there are a few i miss but so far ive found almost every app i used to use on my hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by stockh View Post
    Yeah we don't have hundreds of thousands of apps but honestly who cares. There is always going to be a random unique app that wows us or fills a niche need but at this point I think webOS has enough apps to fill most needs for the average consumer

LONG LIVE HOMEBREW!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jp99 View Post
    ...they also have to think strategically about introduction times. Their product announcements can't afford to be run over by other news of that magnitude.
    Agreed. The Pre release got overshadowed by the iPhone 3GS release; The Pre Plus release got steamrolled by the iPhone 4 craze. Palm has had an amazing track record of selecting release dates. (The Pixi release? I don't remember, there wasn't much fan fair around it)
    Quote Originally Posted by migs View Post
    So would using the same magnetic back as the current pre, means no digital compass upgrade right??
    This has probably already been said (I'm catching up after the weekend) but the touchstone back does not have magnets in it, they are just ferrous metal disks. It is the touchstone itself that has the magnets in it.

Consequently there is no reason a compass could not be included but, of course, that doesn't mean one will be. Also, any compass would not work whilst docked on a touchstone.

EDIT: I see it hasn't been said, result.
    Last edited by andyhurley; 10/11/2010 at 09:03 AM.
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12171819202122