Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101516171819202122 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Just to point out an interesting thought: maybe webOS sees 320x480 the same as 640x960... And 320x400 the same as 640x800...

Thinking about the slider thing...

--Sent using Tap@Talk for webOS
    I'm hoping for this as well.
    spec bump + GOOD MARKETING = sales

perfecting the pre and pixi (WITH NEW NAMES) is a great idea

HP just really needs to pull off a Droid (or better) type MARKETING campaign

The youth are the future - if kids (16-25)come home with Broadway and Perfect - parents friends and relatives will buy.
    Even if the updated Pre comes with the same CPU that's in the Droid X, it will be fast. I had a Droid X for a couple weeks and it was very fast compared to even newer Android phones. (Incredible, Evo, etc) It had no lag at all.

I have a feeling we won't see the OMAP4 phones until CES. I am guessing the new tablet and phone line will sport the same CPUs.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by m3grady2 View Post
    I'm hoping for this as well.
    That's not so strange, as PalmOS worked this way...

Newness Developments apps:

Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    That's not so strange, as PalmOS worked this way...

I seem to remember it being a guiding principal in the old palm os that apps be coded as resolution independent.
    is that what you are referring too, or is it the OS itself that meant a device might not report correct resolution?

anyway, a slider pixi could be extrodinarily tiny, perhaps the lowest of low end webOS devices for the next gen?
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    I seem to remember it being a guiding principal in the old palm os that apps be coded as resolution independent.
    is that what you are referring too, or is it the OS itself that meant a device might not report correct resolution?

anyway, a slider pixi could be extrodinarily tiny, perhaps the lowest of low end webOS devices for the next gen?
    PalmOS had some mechanism to allow developing apps resolution independent. The most important one was that Hires apps was exactly the same apps, only supporting bigger resolutions as an array of bitmaps with the proper scaling (i.e., a bitmap with 160x8 size was automatically replaced by a bitmap with 320x16 when it was available).

Due to the HTML nature of webOS, this can be done in a very similar way. If this is the path the've followed, it's easy to believe that webOS only notifies about the screen aspect ratio, and not the exact size.

But, of course, this is all suppositions...

Newness Developments apps:

because of the keyboardslider=true I wonder if they are going for something more along the lines of the motorola flipout in form factor. not necessarily a flip out mechanism, but a lil square slider type phone.

http://www.blogcdn.com/mobile.engadg...pout600003.jpg
    There are four lights.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Even if the updated Pre comes with the same CPU that's in the Droid X, it will be fast. I had a Droid X for a couple weeks and it was very fast compared to even newer Android phones. (Incredible, Evo, etc) It had no lag at all.

I have a feeling we won't see the OMAP4 phones until CES. I am guessing the new tablet and phone line will sport the same CPUs.
    A faster (or very fast) processor does not equate to a very fast webOS. webOS needs a lot of optimization before it's on the same level of iOS/Android in terms of fluidity and speed.
    Last edited by barkerja; 10/09/2010 at 02:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    A faster (or very fast) processor does not equate to a very fast webOS. webOS needs a lot of optimization before it's on the same level of iOS/Android in terms of fluidity and speed.
    I disagree to a point. IOS yes is very fluent, the most fluent on the market. Yet android is not bad, it lags and to me IMO not that much more fluent as webos. Faster yes then a stock webos, I can say that, but that of course is due to android having chipset upgrades and the pre of course not. I have had alot of android devices (the Evo being the last), and with even a OC pre, its just as fast as opening the devices stock applications, though to me Webos is more fluent, and thats with year old hardware and chipset. So even a upgrade to a more recent chipset, and Webos 2.0 (which Ive used in the DEVO program) believe me, speed and how much more fluent webos will be will not be a problem. Though it also seems to me your a bit more on the fence with webos seeing your post, alot defending android, which is fine but I do notice.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    I disagree to a point. IOS yes is very fluent, the most fluent on the market. Yet android is not bad, it lags and to me IMO not that much more fluent as webos. Faster yes then a stock webos, I can say that, but that of course is due to android having chipset upgrades and the pre of course not. I have had alot of android devices (the Evo being the last), and with even a OC pre, its just as fast as opening the devices stock applications, though to me Webos is more fluent, and thats with year old hardware and chipset. So even a upgrade to a more recent chipset, and Webos 2.0 (which Ive used in the DEVO program) believe me, speed and how much more fluent webos will be will not be a problem. Though it also seems to me your a bit more on the fence with webos seeing your post, alot defending android, which is fine but I do notice.
    Don't forget that optimized software also equates to better battery life.
    your right, and this is something HP and Palm cannot afford to get wrong this time. Battery life was a huge failure even with all the updates, though managable. Along with hardware, marketing, and getting developers on board Hp has some work cut out if they intend on being competitors.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    your right, and this is something HP and Palm cannot afford to get wrong this time. Battery life was a huge failure even with all the updates, though managable. Along with hardware, marketing, and getting developers on board Hp has some work cut out if they intend on being competitors.
    By the way, I am a developer and have developed for webOS but I won't even think about looking at the SDK again until a lot of things change and I know a lot of developers that feel the same way. Not to mention a larger market adoption.
    I can tell you that my Pre Plus at 1ghz scrolls through the app launcher smoother than the Droid X. And that is without GPU acceleration.

Android is fast, at launching apps, but scrolling still seems a bit clunky to me IMHO. When I had the Droid X it was running 2.1 and I know Google made a lot of optimizations in 2.2. So I can't compare the latest and greatest.

One thing I didn't like about both the Incredible and the Droid X was the way the browser scrolling worked. Also the multitouch wasn't as good as webOS, meaning while pinch zooming I couldn't scroll and zoom at the same time. I do this a lot on my Pre.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    By the way, I am a developer and have developed for webOS but I won't even think about looking at the SDK again until a lot of things change and I know a lot of developers that feel the same way. Not to mention a larger market adoption.
    right, and thats why this time around we all hope Webos will shine now that they have HP to provide captial to improve the SDK, provide a larger market (worldwide), and adopt more developers. As you know then with Palm having no marketshare to begin with, and no real money it was already going to be hard to evolve at a rate of a Google or Apple without anykind of real resources.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    I can tell you that my Pre Plus at 1ghz scrolls through the app launcher smoother than the Droid X. And that is without GPU acceleration.

Android is fast, at launching apps, but scrolling still seems a bit clunky to me IMHO. When I had the Droid X it was running 2.1 and I know Google made a lot of optimizations in 2.2. So I can't compare the latest and greatest.

One thing I didn't like about both the Incredible and the Droid X was the way the browser scrolling worked. Also the multitouch wasn't as good as webOS, meaning while pinch zooming I couldn't scroll and zoom at the same time. I do this a lot on my Pre.
    Yes, pinch-to-zoom and scrolling is terrible on Android but I chalk that up to just part of the terrible UX that was driven by engineers and not actual designers. I fully expect the small things like that to be perfected in Android 3.0 with Matias Duarte heading things in the UI/UX department.
    Yes, pinch-to-zoom and scrolling is terrible on Android but I chalk that up to just part of the terrible UX that was driven by engineers and not actual designers. I fully expect the small things like that to be perfected in Android 3.0 with Matias Duarte heading things in the UI/UX department.
    but wasn't he responsible for webOS UI/UX, which you just said was not optimized for those same things?

not that I'm in full disagreement here, I would expect android 3.0 to be optimized in many ways, if they want to remain beating apple in sales.
    I think webOS has android beat for UI, and no doubt Duart is a huge reason for that, google having him is a big win for android in that department. However, I am not sure he is an optimization in the background guy, he may not be the one who makes things buttery.

to that end, webOS 2.0 also promises alot of optimizations, so our current gen devices might end up getting new life breathed into them.
    Last edited by windzilla; 10/09/2010 at 03:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    but wasn't he responsible for webOS UI/UX, which you just said was not optimized for those same things?

not that I'm in full disagreement here, I would expect android 3.0 to be optimized in many ways, if they want to remain beating apple in sales.
    I think webOS has android beat for UI, and no doubt Duart is a huge reason for that, google having him is a big win for android in that department. However, I am not sure he is an optimization in the background guy, he may not be the one who makes things buttery.

to that end, webOS 2.0 also promises alot of optimizations, so our current gen devices might end up getting new life breathed into them.
    I know what I said above sounds contradicting but it's not. Don't get me wrong, I love webOS' design and flow, it's one of the best if not thee best (but that's a matter of personal opinion).

However, the optimization and UI sluggishness can't really be correlated to Matias as he was strictly a designer and had no part in actual development (code).
    I am not a developer or anything, but i was just thinking. Maybe WebOS 2.0 will be optimized, so much so that the 1150 mAh battery will do the job much better than before. Please correct me if i am wrong.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    The switch from Java to Javascript alone should allow a noticeable improvement in battery life. Using DB8 as the database structure should help as well I think.
    Last edited by RafRol; 10/09/2010 at 07:29 PM.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    so when is webos 2.0 due? Also, do they plan of fixing it so when I reply in this form the screen will follow my text across the text box?
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.