Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 813141516171819202122 LastLast
Results 341 to 360 of 440
  1. #341  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Motorola didn't go through a merger.

    Also Motorola's mobile division is 94 times bigger than the entire Palm Inc (88000 employees vs 900-ish).
    That's a perfectly reasonable explanation. It is not however justification.

    Whatever the reason, the average consumer doesn't care why you have no product. They just look at the available products and pick one. They don't go oh but they are smaller so i'll forgoe buying product x and wait till such and such a company catches up.
  2. #342  
    Quote Originally Posted by RafRol View Post
    Palm just has to abandon the river stone shape to the screen half only.

    As you can see when you compare Palm Pre vs. P102x below, Palm should be able to squeeze in a 3.4 in screen without increasing the overall size of the Pre. Just imagine the P102x below with a thin bezel (and smaller gesture area).

    The white line in the P102x picture is a representation of how thin the screen half could be, and how much thicker the back half could be. Thus all the main guts, including the USB port, will fit in the back half only. And it can be a straight slider, improving durability and feel (and internal space).

    As I mentioned before, the new phone can slide just a little more for a better keyboard.

    The fact that it still uses the same touchstone back means that we can still use our Touchstones, extra batteries AND it will still feel good in the Palm of our hands.
    hmmm good point.
  3. #343  
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    That's a perfectly reasonable explanation. It is not however justification.

    Whatever the reason, the average consumer doesn't care why you have no product. They just look at the available products and pick one. They don't go oh but they are smaller so i'll forgoe buying product x and wait till such and such a company catches up.
    lol yup, the reason why i agree that even if just a spec bump (hopefully a considerable one) they get something to the market sooner then early next year. Its the holiday season people are looking to buy, mindshare for webos is flawed, and releasing a new version on old hardware wont cut it. As well Palm has even a lesser excuse being under the umbrella of HP now. So as I stated before if they have something available to launch this fall, launch it then regroup and worry about other products in the pipeline for 2011.
  4. #344  
    we all know battery mah has little to do considering 1400mah dosent change the size of the back, so it could state that and still could use the same ole back.
  5. #345  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Wow, the US cellular marketplace really does completely revolve around carrier lock-in and free upgrade cycles, doesn't it?

    -- Rod
    Well, for a few reasons:

    1) The plan prices are already crazy and do not decrease even if you buy the phone off-contract (read: unsubsidized), so you might as well upgrade when your allotted upgrade comes around for cheaper.
    2) Phone companies may require you to sign a two-year agreement even if you bring your own phone, just for the pleasure of signing up with them or being allowed to change your phone plan.
    3) If you're young and just starting out, you may not only be paying just for the phone - you may be paying $400 for the benefit of them letting you sign up AND for the phone.
    4) Coverage varies wildly, especially in rural areas, so you may be stuck on Verizon even if you want to go to Sprint because Sprint's coverage is balls in your area. Kind of like how you may want to be on any other internet/cable company but Comcast, but Comcast is the only one in your area.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  6. #346  
    Also dnt count it out that maybe the phone they sent in is using the same pre batt. But the production phone can have a higher Mah rated batt. The other thing I was wondering is do we know for sure that it's the same pre batt. ? Or could it jus be the same Mah rating but diff. Size?
  7. RafRol's Avatar
    Posts
    544 Posts
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    #347  
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    we all know battery mah has little to do considering 1400mah dosent change the size of the back, so it could state that and still could use the same ole back.
    You're right! Palm can still provide a better battery within the same size. Seidio does it with 1350mAh (although it's a poor job). Who does 1400? Mugen?
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 10/08/2010 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Do not post around the language filters...this is a PG-13 forum...please refer to the Forum Guidelines for more information.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
  8. #348  
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    lol yup, the reason why i agree that even if just a spec bump (hopefully a considerable one) they get something to the market sooner then early next year. Its the holiday season people are looking to buy, mindshare for webos is flawed, and releasing a new version on old hardware wont cut it. As well Palm has even a lesser excuse being under the umbrella of HP now. So as I stated before if they have something available to launch this fall, launch it then regroup and worry about other products in the pipeline for 2011.
    something seems kinda contradictory "even if just a spec bump...get something to market" but then you say "a new version of old hardware won't cut it."

    i may have miss interpreted your point or maybe, unlike me, you intepret them as two differnt things. but i'd go more with the latter. Now if HP can swallow a failed phone i'd say screw it release what you got cause if it gets no interest it doesn't matter. Its not like samsung, motorola, and HTC, etc don't do the same thing.

    But if it's a situation where HP will leave the cell market altogther with a poorly accepted phone then i think you gotta throw your bestpunch ever with whatever you release. obviously i don't know the HP fianancial situation. i'm no insider.

    But from what i've heard, many people have said, "i'm not using my upgrade on a spec bump." i also don't think many new customers would think, "oh now that's the thing that now makes this product appealing." Like if they didn't like the Pre before not sure a spec bump changes their mind, as i'm not sure specs is why they didn't by the phone in the first place. But at some point soon i think they have to release not just a spec bump but something that wows consumers. That is not mirroring competitors but mirrors and beats them. That's first to market. Like what if they released an 1080p recording phone, 8 megapixel camera, 64 gbs of internal storage, hdmi out, and a tv tuner like japanese phones? I'm just making **** up but that's clearly some wow there.
  9. #349  
    FWIW, given the reports that this next device will be compatible with current Touchstone docks - Radio Shack currently has the docks on clearance for less than $8.
  10. #350  
    Another device spotted in some app logs: Twitter

    (probably not a P102 model)

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  11. RafRol's Avatar
    Posts
    544 Posts
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    #351  
    Quote Originally Posted by howemi01 View Post
    FWIW, given the reports that this next device will be compatible with current Touchstone docks - Radio Shack currently has the docks on clearance for less than $8.
    I bought 2 kits for something like $12 apiece and a lone TS for $7 and change.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
  12. RafRol's Avatar
    Posts
    544 Posts
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    #352  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Another device spotted in some app logs: Twitter

    (probably not a P102 model)

    -- Rod
    A new Pixi perhaps? (320x400)
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
  13. #353  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Another device spotted in some app logs: Twitter

    (probably not a P102 model)

    -- Rod
    i dont use twitter , so what does it say ?
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  14. #354  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    i dont use twitter , so what does it say ?
    "Broadway" 320x400 webOS ver Nova-Blowfish & Nova-Barleywine carrier ROW devices spotted by @dawm in app logs, IP address owned by @palm UK
  15. #355  
    palm-blowfish and palm-barleywine --- ?
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  16. #356  
    I'm looking forward to hearing about the Palm BAMF.
  17. #357  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    i dont use twitter , so what does it say ?
    Twitter links are viewable by anyone, regardless if you have an account, so long as the account isn't protected, which it isn't.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  18. #358  
    BAMF ...... lol whats that
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  19. #359  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    BAMF ...... lol whats that
    bad azz mo fo. that's the kind of palm phone I want. A webOS device that beats up evos after school and takes iPhone's lunch money --just because it can. And then gives the money to the kids who got picked on for not having an iPad so they can go buy a palmpimppad.
  20. #360  
    wow thats some story you got going there lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->

Posting Permissions