Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71213141516171819202122 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    The more I think about it the more I'm convinced that the current Pre form factor is just fine. With a processor bump, camera upgrade, RAM and storage memory upgrade and improved build quality the phone would be perfect for most mainstream smartphone users.

I think the current Pre is a great device when used as intended....as a mobile smartphone....it's not a tablet and isn't wonderful for heavy web browsing, watching movies or streaming video. It is a great smartphone....mobile access to e-mail, messaging, web and some media while out and about. The shape makes it easy to slide in and out of your pocket and it's short enough that you can sit down when it's in there.

A Pre + + would be a great product in a matrix of new webOS hardware.
    and just a tad bit bigger screen...i wouldnt mind it....
    wait a few hrs...something is brewing in europe. See precentral home page
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    I think the current Pre is a great device when used as intended....as a mobile smartphone....it's not a tablet and isn't wonderful for heavy web browsing, watching movies or streaming video. It is a great smartphone....mobile access to e-mail, messaging, web and some media while out and about. The shape makes it easy to slide in and out of your pocket and it's short enough that you can sit down when it's in there.
    This statement nails how I feel. I travel a lot for work; I need the smartphone for email, simple web browsing, easy stuff. I play games on planes; there is a slight chance that on a longer flight I may watch a film on my phone but on most longer fligts I take there is in flight stuff on the monitors. I want the Pre, or at least a version of it, to stay mostly as it is only better.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    again I think the thing is still that we dont know what measurements state that it will use the same back cover.
    It is the exact same product number. Exact same product number for back cover = exact same size for back cover. What am I missing?
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    I bet the new phones will be called Pre Pro
    it could be the p/n for the touchstone magnet things ( idk what in there) on the bak cover of pre.... My original cover doesn't have a p/n and my touchstone one has it on the device that the touchstone uses in the cover... Heard someone mention this earlier too..
    While HP/Palm are dragging their feet, Motorolla is announcing 7 (SEVEN) new Android phones to be released by the end of the year:

Motorola Announces 7 Android Phones: Bravo, Citrus, Defy, Droid Pro, Flipout, Flipside, Spice | Android Phone Fans

SEVEN! We are dying for ONE new WebOS device.
    Quote Originally Posted by rich_halvorson View Post
    It is the exact same product number. Exact same product number for back cover = exact same size for back cover. What am I missing?
    The product number on the back stating P/N 180 as Im aware relates to the small portion on the charging portion for the touchstone not the entire backcover. So we can say they are using that same charger portion to charge the pre via touchstone (which even as you can see with the EVO hack it can be done via taking that portion and appling it to a bigger device). We can also say they stretch the realestate on the phone, if they decided to keep the form factor the same, though not alot of room, but it could be done. The manufacturer SKU number I think for the back cover is 3455ww, and the touchstone one states 3455ww and , 180-10704-00 stating that there is an addition to the back battery cover a portion that charges the phone.

touchstone
    http://www.cellup.com/p-9485-palm-pr...spx#Compatible

regular
    http://www.provantage.com/palm-3455ww~7PLMA070.htm

All Im saying is we can only speculate because no one has offical specs, or pictures at this point, so no one can state a fact saying the screen size will be the same .
    Last edited by wellwellwell11; 10/08/2010 at 12:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by gilbertg4x4 View Post
    it could be the p/n for the touchstone magnet things ( idk what in there) on the bak cover of pre.... My original cover doesn't have a p/n and my touchstone one has it on the device that the touchstone uses in the cover... Heard someone mention this earlier too..
    Go to the FCC's site:
    https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/...%27O8F-ROAY%27

Click on the last link for 'Test Report'
    Search for: 180-10704-00
    you will see this appears next to: "Inductive Back Cover (black color)"
    It doesn't appear next to 'touch stone magnet thing', also as it includes the word 'Back Cover' I would assume this is the whole thing.
    Now google 180-10704-00 and you should find many links for the actual product, here is an amazon link:
    Amazon.com: New Palm High Quality PRE Cell Phone OEM Touchstone Factory Original Charging Battery Door Cover: Electronics

I don't know how we can argue anymore about the size of the back cover. Maybe they made a very weird transition to a larger top as someones mockup from a few pages back shows, but I highly doubt it.
    If you don't like the size of the Pre's screen I don't think this device will be for you, but I am sure you'll get a chance for a larger screen device either the same time as this phone comes out, or sometime a few months after.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    The product number on the back stating P/N 180 as Im aware relates to the small portion on the charging portion for the touchstone not the entire backcover. .
    OK, I understand what you and the other person I replied to are saying. I think it will be the same, but I understand it's conceivable that they used the same internal part in a different back cover and the product number would stay the same.
    But this plus the internal label which only seems to increase the size of the battery tab, and also the battery being the same size seem to add weight to it being the same size and form factor.
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    So would using the same magnetic back as the current pre, means no digital compass upgrade right??
    Last edited by migs; 10/08/2010 at 12:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rich_halvorson View Post
    OK, I understand what you and the other person I replied to are saying. I think it will be the same, but I understand it's conceivable that they used the same internal part in a different back cover and the product number would stay the same.
    But this plus the internal label which only seems to increase the size of the battery tab, and also the battery being the same size seem to add weight to it being the same size and form factor.
    yeah thats all i was saying, and it may be the same screen size, but all we can do is guess and yes really your guess holds more weight at this point. Lets just hope for the better that they added some size to this thing you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    While HP/Palm are dragging their feet, Motorolla is announcing 7 (SEVEN) new Android phones to be released by the end of the year:

Motorola Announces 7 Android Phones: Bravo, Citrus, Defy, Droid Pro, Flipout, Flipside, Spice | Android Phone Fans

SEVEN! We are dying for ONE new WebOS device.
    Motorola didn't go through a merger.

Also Motorola's mobile division is 94 times bigger than the entire Palm Inc (88000 employees vs 900-ish).
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Motorola didn't go through a merger.

Also Motorola's mobile division is 94 times bigger than the entire Palm Inc (88000 employees vs 900-ish).
    We know that. But the fact remains these 7 new Android phones by the end of the year represent only 1 phone manufacturer. This doesn't even take into consideration what Samsung, HTC, etc are going to roll out. Palm hasn't had a significant release in almost 2 years. They NEED to get something out soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    We know that. But the fact remains these 7 new Android phones by the end of the year represent only 1 phone manufacturer. This doesn't even take into consideration what Samsung, HTC, etc are going to roll out. Palm hasn't had a significant release in almost 2 years. They NEED to get something out soon.
    the pre came out like 16 months ago, and they released an entirely new and completely different phone, the pixi, was released on the 15th of November 09 less than one year ago.

not that i disagree about the importance of getting some updated hardware to market, given the 6 month product cycle most smartphone makers are on, just saying, it hasn't been anywhere near 2 years since there most recent phone launch.
    There are four lights.
    I dont know about yall, but Id rather have maybe 2 to 3 the max choices a year to choose from as opposed to dozens. Really though why have the same type of phone from a slew of companies:

Slabs=Nexus 1,Droid X, samsung Fas, Droid incredable, Droid world,

slider=
    Droid 1, Droid 2 (the same damn phone), Devour, lG alley

all released this year, really who needs this many options of the same type of phone, running pretty much the same internal specs, on the same carrier. A guy could go broke trying to keep up, and then have to worry about which phone will be discontinued.

last time I checked how many iphone 4's were sold on one carrier, one design, with signal issues, and broken backs?
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Palm just has to abandon the river stone shape to the screen half only.

As you can see when you compare Palm Pre vs. P102x below, Palm should be able to squeeze in a 3.4 in screen without increasing the overall size of the Pre. Just imagine the P102x below with a thin bezel (and smaller gesture area).

The white line in the P102x picture is a representation of how thin the screen half could be, and how much thicker the back half could be. Thus all the main guts, including the USB port, will fit in the back half only. And it can be a straight slider, improving durability and feel (and internal space).

As I mentioned before, the new phone can slide just a little more for a better keyboard.

The fact that it still uses the same touchstone back means that we can still use our Touchstones, extra batteries AND it will still feel good in the Palm of our hands.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RafRol; 10/08/2010 at 02:46 PM.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    But it also has the same battery size , so same back cover, same battery size...... leads one to believe, screen is same. If they screen is bigger, and battery size is same, what are they going to fill the empty space in the phone with? All other components are so packed and they dont require much space at all.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    But it also has the same battery size , so same back cover, same battery size...... leads one to believe, screen is same. If they screen is bigger, and battery size is same, what are they going to fill the empty space in the phone with? All other components are so packed and they dont require much space at all.
    I don't know if more memory/storage will take up more room, but it's a possibility. Many of us can think of a number of things to fill the empty space with: MicroSD slot, compass, etc. The processor is more efficient, WebOS 2.0 is more efficient, and if they use an AMOLED screen, that will be more efficient. Using the same size battery is the least of my worries.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    Even if you squared up the current hardware you still need a gesture area, ear piece, mic...the screen will not be growing at all and if it does it would only be by a few mm (American translation) at best...IMO.

Unless the new phone is some kind of crazy Frankenstein device...then it's anyone guess.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic