Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by brendu View Post
    fix the slider and external buttons so this phone is as solid as the rock this its modeled after, give it 32gb storage, 802.11n wifi, a 5+mp camera, better battery life, and a retina quality display and I will be extremely happy. I could not care less about a front facing camera, I will never use it. And 4g would be great but id rather not pay extra for it especially since 95% of my data usage comes from wifi anyway. I just want a Pre that is extremely solid and fast, and a nicer screen would be great. Oh and some of that webOS 2.0 goodness...
    I agree - There's room for a slightly larger, higher rez display in the existing Pre form factor. In my opinion, the size of the Pre is an almost ideal balance (could be a tinge thinner) between compact portable pocketability and large screen glitz. I'd say fix the quality issues that some early Pre's have had, up the performance, throw in webOS 2.0 and get it on the street! There's still plenty of room to expand the line to more compact models (a la Pixie), large screen slabs (Mansion) and other variants to provide a full range of (H)Palm-designed webOS mobile device choices for consumers and enterprise types.
    The more I think about it the more I'm convinced that the current Pre form factor is just fine. With a processor bump, camera upgrade, RAM and storage memory upgrade and improved build quality the phone would be perfect for most mainstream smartphone users.

I think the current Pre is a great device when used as intended....as a mobile smartphone....it's not a tablet and isn't wonderful for heavy web browsing, watching movies or streaming video. It is a great smartphone....mobile access to e-mail, messaging, web and some media while out and about. The shape makes it easy to slide in and out of your pocket and it's short enough that you can sit down when it's in there.

A Pre + + would be a great product in a matrix of new webOS hardware.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Also of note, is the fact that the model submitted to the FCC does not include 802.11n. The WiFi radio is just 802.11b/g.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowza View Post
    Also of note, is the fact that the model submitted to the FCC does not include 802.11n. The WiFi radio is just 802.11b/g.
    I'm not an electrical engineer (engineer, but not EE) - so if a phone did have the "n" wifi, what would that do to battery life? How hard would that be to put into a phone (antenna, etc)?

I assume by other comments the range would be far better.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Wow, the US cellular marketplace really does completely revolve around carrier lock-in and free upgrade cycles, doesn't it?

-- Rod
    Yes, unfortunately. I would really like being able to buy a smartphone and then pay the carrier for what I use, rather than them subsidizing the phone - because the phone subsidy never goes away.

What if I keep my phone for 3 years? I've paid an extra year's worth of subsidy because I don't get a rate break after my two years are up (in theory, they say the monthly rate they charge includes the subsidy they provide me, but that part never goes away).

I pay about $180/month for my 4 phones in my family; if $80 of that was the phone subsidy, then each year I'm paying $960. In two years that's about full price for the 4 Pre's. Anything I hang on to after two years is just extra profit for them.

We really don't have a good connection with what we get and what we pay for in this system, at least for smartphones. Pay-as-you-go dumbphones are better in this regard.

Shoot, if we bought cars like we do smartphones ... we'd be getting free or nearly free cars from Exxon or BP, and pay $20/gallon for fuel. After a few years, if you hang on to your old car, you just hand the petro companies extra profit.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    The more I think about it the more I'm convinced that the current Pre form factor is just fine. With a processor bump, camera upgrade, RAM and storage memory upgrade and improved build quality the phone would be perfect for most mainstream smartphone users.

I think the current Pre is a great device when used as intended....as a mobile smartphone....it's not a tablet and isn't wonderful for heavy web browsing, watching movies or streaming video. It is a great smartphone....mobile access to e-mail, messaging, web and some media while out and about. The shape makes it easy to slide in and out of your pocket and it's short enough that you can sit down when it's in there.

A Pre + + would be a great product in a matrix of new webOS hardware.
    You're forgetting, however, that one of the things Palm trumpets most is 3D gaming, and frankly, it's underwhelming on a 3 inch screen. There were a couple of stages of Angry Birds where the objects were so small because there was a lot on the screen in a widescreen shot, but the 3.1-inch display could barely fit it all on. I wouldn't want to play Fruit Ninja or Street Fighter II or many other iPhone ports on that small a display either.

It would be just fine...as the lowest end, cheapest, most entry-level device in a portfolio of WebOS devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    You're forgetting, however, that one of the things Palm trumpets most is 3D gaming, and frankly, it's underwhelming on a 3 inch screen. There were a couple of stages of Angry Birds where the objects were so small because there was a lot on the screen in a widescreen shot, but the 3.1-inch display could barely fit it all on. I wouldn't want to play Fruit Ninja or Street Fighter II or many other iPhone ports on that small a display either.

It would be just fine...as the lowest end, cheapest, most entry-level device in a portfolio of WebOS devices.
    true to point out, I agree with boasting 3D games like HP and palm does, they need to have this device of atleast 3.5 (ala iphone) to be able to do so. If they intend on making this a low end device, then fine keep the 3.1 inch screen, and market it as so. Hopefully they did try atleast to stretch the realestate of the screen to 3.5 inchs, in that regards it would be a upgrade to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by phreakish View Post
    anyone even think that perhaps the part number on the TS back has to do with the 'sticker' that comprises the inductive coil of the back cover, and may not be the entire back panel?

Just my .02
    I was thinking the same ... I looked at the original bak cover for my pre and it doesn't hav a p/n tho my touchstone cover (sprint pre) is p/n 170 and not 180 what's the diff.?
    right and even looking at the pics from the first page, the middle part of the documents of the FCC for the new Phone looks longer, as to state a larger screen. I dont know even with all the old rumors, and new ones from here through webosworld, jackson, NOX etc. If this was that same phone the Pc40, it was stated to be a larger screen, so Ima hope that it is. Hopefully once confermed it will be.
    hmm, I don't know if I'd rush out to go get a rehashed Pre, but I'd definitely be happy if they pushed out a new device with a bigger screen. I'm happy with my current Pre for now. For HPalms sake however I really hope that the hardware gets a decent facelift
    This has to be a device that was in the works well before the HP acquisition, but I can't imagine HP would allow Palm to release a device that they weren't comfortable with.
    IF my day 1 pre were fitted with a faster processor, more RAM, WebOS 2.0, better battery life, a slightly bigger and higher res screen...and maybe a tiny bit lighter...I'd be super happy!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jp99 View Post
    I'm not an electrical engineer (engineer, but not EE) - so if a phone did have the "n" wifi, what would that do to battery life? How hard would that be to put into a phone (antenna, etc)?

I assume by other comments the range would be far better.
    802.11n is the successor standard to 802.11g.

In a nutshell it gives faster theoretical rates (supposedly 150Mbps and 300Mbps depending on MIMO configuration). But we all know how theoretical rates work with wireless...

So personally I don't think it's that big of a deal, especially for the amount of data a smartphone uses. More of a "me-too" thing.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    A 3.5 inch screen is honestly the biggest Palm should ever think about going. Anything bigger, especially if they tried to pair it with a portrait slider, would look very stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by nbmatt View Post
    A 3.5 inch screen is honestly the biggest Palm should ever think about going. Anything bigger, especially if they tried to pair it with a portrait slider, would look very stupid.
    Not necessarily...
    Dell Lightning: the ultimate Windows Phone 7 device leaks out -- Engadget
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    802.11n is the successor standard to 802.11g.

In a nutshell it gives faster theoretical rates (supposedly 150Mbps and 300Mbps depending on MIMO configuration). But we all know how theoretical rates work with wireless...

So personally I don't think it's that big of a deal, especially for the amount of data a smartphone uses. More of a "me-too" thing.
    That said, whatever Wi-Fi, bluetooth, and phone radio they're using, if they could update those, it would be sweet. The Pre's reception is not too good (yes, yours may be the best ever, but people haven't been getting Airaves out of Sprint for nothing...) and Wi-Fi signal issues get complained about a lot, too (plus, interference with the bluetooth).
    screwdestiny
    PSNTwitterLast.FM
    I'd love a 4g phone in the pre form factor.. maybe a bit bigger screen or resolution. I seem to be one of a select few who wants 4g but not an enormous 4"+ device.
    Everyone talking about a bigger screen just throw a ruler over the current screen diagonally making sure that it is intersecting both corners. You will quickly see that the screen size can't increase by much more then .1 or .2 inches or the form factor would change. I can't imagine they would change the form factor like the example someone gave a few pages back. If they were going to give it a larger screen they wouldn't keep the same back. There is room in the height of the device to have a larger screen but not the width. It could be conceivable to change to a 16x9 ratio screen and get a little larger but I don't think this will happen either.
    If you want a larger screen hold out for the roadrunner HD, or if that isn't real whatever other larger screen device is inevitable to come out in the 'devices' released next year.
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    Gimme a bigger screen and a slightly more spacious keyboard and Id be happy with this.
    Quote Originally Posted by rich_halvorson View Post
    Everyone talking about a bigger screen just throw a ruler over the current screen diagonally making sure that it is intersecting both corners. You will quickly see that the screen size can't increase by much more then .1 or .2 inches or the form factor would change. I can't imagine they would change the form factor like the example someone gave a few pages back. If they were going to give it a larger screen they wouldn't keep the same back. There is room in the height of the device to have a larger screen but not the width. It could be conceivable to change to a 16x9 ratio screen and get a little larger but I don't think this will happen either.
    If you want a larger screen hold out for the roadrunner HD, or if that isn't real whatever other larger screen device is inevitable to come out in the 'devices' released next year.
    again I think the thing is still that we dont know what measurements state that it will use the same back cover. It could be a whole different measurement, so to me until we see the device we can only speculate, and not really make solid judgements.