Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 51011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    anyone even think that perhaps the part number on the TS back has to do with the 'sticker' that comprises the inductive coil of the back cover, and may not be the entire back panel?

Just my .02
    OK how many of you like your Pre?
    Yes I understand build quality but lets say it has great build quality for those of you who have had bad luck with your Pre's. If you can answer yes then what is the big deal if it is just a spec bump. I know I was really hoping for a new super phone and new form factor or at least an improved Pre form factor but I have to admit, my Pre has been good to me. I wouldn't mind a better preforming one. I guess I am one of the lucky people to get a good Pre but almost every phone out there has a bad batch. So if you hate your Pre then maybe it is time to go explore different options.
    Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thecrazy88 View Post
    Yes I understand build quality but lets say it has great build quality for those of you who have had bad luck with your Pre's. If you can answer yes then what is the big deal if it is just a spec bump. I know I was really hoping for a new super phone and new form factor or at least an improved Pre form factor but I have to admit, my Pre has been good to me. I wouldn't mind a better preforming one. I guess I am one of the lucky people to get a good Pre but almost every phone out there has a bad batch. So if you hate your Pre then maybe it is time to go explore different options.
    ok yes build quality point taken... but my treo 600 from 2006 had a FAR superior keyboard than what came on my pre in jun of 2009.... downgrade?

physical keyboard is the point for palm.. i guess it was. this tiny little thing they call a keyboard now is really embarassing, not to mention a real pita.
    Quote Originally Posted by flea View Post
    ok yes build quality point taken... but my treo 600 from 2006 had a FAR superior keyboard than what came on my pre in jun of 2009.... downgrade?

physical keyboard is the point for palm.. i guess it was. this tiny little thing they call a keyboard now is really embarassing, not to mention a real pita.
    Yeah I have to admit it took me a while to get used to the keyboard and I still get frustrated sometimes but what can you do? Maybe they figured a way to put a better one on the new Pre. (Wishful thinking.)
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    i really did not have a problem at all adapted from the 700wx to the Pre, and I have chubky fingers, lol! It was a concern, though...Ill admit it looked terribly small
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rothoof View Post
    Ok this is really rough and a little exaggerated, but this is how I think the palm pre 2 could have a bigger screen
    I was thinking the same thing, except that in my mind the top half (looking at it from the angle of your photo) would go straight up from the side and end in a 90 degree angle, thus abandoning the river stone design which I mention in an earlier post, but providing more real-estate for possibly a 3.4 or 3.5 inch screen.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    also, I still love my pre, wish it could catch up in the APP department, but the UI is superior to all!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by flea View Post

I give you have a Sprint Pre?

You should go to a Verizon or AT&T store and try the keyboard on the Pre Plus. Much improved tactile feel.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    it doesnt matter what speed it is you will complain. it could have a 3 ghz and you would complain why doesnt it have 3.5. whine whine whine. if you dont like what they are bringing out then go buy an iphone. then at least we can get rid of all these negitive people that will NEVER be satisfied either in their phone or in life.

from what i have read, and that is all we know, what we read, i wish it was the new super phone but i would rather them do it right then rush something out. wholy ca ca would you negitive people go crazy.

this new one will work just fine to replace my day 5 Pre until the new super Pre comes
    out

GD what a bunch af spoiled cry baby whiners
    Quote Originally Posted by thecrazy88 View Post
    it's because some of us will have been waiting for almost 2 years. Those of us could have spent our upgrade on something more exciting than the pre, and come back to palm in 2011 when the released something more substantial. Now if it's just a spec bump, it would be a waste of an upgrade to get it.
    Wow, the US cellular marketplace really does completely revolve around carrier lock-in and free upgrade cycles, doesn't it?

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Wow, the US cellular marketplace really does completely revolve around carrier lock-in and free upgrade cycles, doesn't it?

-- Rod
    100% correct for most of us state side. It seems almost impossible to get any of us to pay full price for a phone, myself included. If they didn't subsidize phones the market would drop like a rock and smartphones would be yesterdays fad. I'm thinking also, that if all US carriers start putting these low caps and crappy tiered data plans, it's going to be very tough to keep the US market growing on the smartphone side of things.( I know right, you could care less )

Doesn't the rest of the world live off mostly subsidized phones as well? I really have no idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by led_zeppelin84 View Post
    also, I still love my pre, wish it could catch up in the APP department, but the UI is superior to all!!!
    agreed, i was a die hard winmo then android user and i have to say the webos design is soo much cleaner and crisper than anything ive seen. im really happy with my new pre overclocked to 1ghz... makes me happy!

ill have to see what this new pre holds before i decide if ill use my upgrade on it or wait until a higher spec one comes out. i know i do not want a webos device that requires 4g or has a 4" lcd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    it's because some of us will have been waiting for almost 2 years. Those of us could have spent our upgrade on something more exciting than the pre, and come back to palm in 2011 when the released something more substantial. Now if it's just a spec bump, it would be a waste of an upgrade to get it.
    simple.. buy a evo on craigslist then sell it when the new hp/webos device comes out.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post

-- Rod
    Yes, it's idiotic. People don't seem to have a problem throwing down $100 a month for their mobile phone bill (and more than that for cable/satellite TV) but ask them to pay more than $199 for the device they carry with them ALL THE TIME and use day in and day out and they freak out.

Ridiculous. I use my phone probably more, or at least as much as my laptop, I really wouldn't have a problem paying upwards of $500 for a phone if it's worthwhile hardware that will last me a while, considering the use I get out of it.

But yes, the market for phones in the US is all jacked up, thanks mostly to the power the carriers wield.
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    Almost two years? Kind of stretching things by 8 months aren't you? Also, if you mean you could have upgraded a few months ago then come back to webOS in 2011, that was your choice. Plenty of people made that choice. Also, you still have that option open to you, take it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mpfef View Post
    Yes, it's idiotic. People don't seem to have a problem throwing down $100 a month for their mobile phone bill (and more than that for cable/satellite TV) but ask them to pay more than $199 for the device they carry with them ALL THE TIME and use day in and day out and they freak out.

Ridiculous. I use my phone probably more, or at least as much as my laptop, I really wouldn't have a problem paying upwards of $500 for a phone if it's worthwhile hardware that will last me a while, considering the use I get out of it.

But yes, the market for phones in the US is all jacked up, thanks mostly to the power the carriers wield.
    We can top that in the Great White North... exact same situation, but with 3 year contracts.

One reason I waited so long to get the Pre was because of Bell, with their horrible rates they wanted me into a 3-year contract just to pay 199 for the Pre back then. I didn't jump until it was $10 off my bill each month and the phone was free. But if it wasn't for the monthly discount I probably would still be on Fido rocking an AT&T Pre Plus.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

Quote Originally Posted by bdog421 View Post
    Doesn't the rest of the world live off mostly subsidized phones as well? I really have no idea.
    At least not in Hong Kong. Back then (I'm talking about close to 10 years ago) there was an idea the phone was "free", given that you paid full price for the device, then they would rebate you each month back the cost of the phone.

Even that died down. People rather bought their own phones elsewhere instead of from the carrier for lower than retail, then negotiated down for a lower monthly rate. And that worked. With 6 carriers fighting for business, phone plans can be had for as low as $8 US for 600 minutes and 2MB data. The most expensive plans are like $34 for 3900 mins and unlimited data. And of course all the "add-ons" (caller ID, voicemail, text, etc.) are already included.

one2free

Yes, they have a contract attached, but that's to lower the monthly rate, not give you "free" phones.

And these are on-market retail plans, retention plans and conquest sales plans (i.e. port-over discounts that people sell on streets) are even lower.

That's why I'm so not used to phone plans in Canada. I'm paying $35 Canadian for merely 200 mins and 500MB of data.
    Last edited by ToniCipriani; 10/08/2010 at 06:29 AM.

this should be for another forum thread, but while we are on the topic.

we US buyers purchase subsidized phones because we have the option to. Of course we can buy a phone at full price and go contract free, but since we are paying crazy carrier fees anyway, regardless of whether subsidized or purchased full price, we might as well save a little upfront.

most also stick it out throughout their contract, and don't hop on a carrier just for the latest greatest everytime a new phone comes out...unlike what one would think reading online tech sites.

and if by chance our phone falters and we are out of warranty, or if we just want to change our phone for whatever reason, second hand phones can always be bought on the cheap from ebay and craigslist.

additionally, some carriers allow discount pricing on early upgrades as long as the contract is renewed.

so bottom line, there's nothing really wrong with the US system of purchasing cell phones. The main negative is that carriers have more power...but to be honest, I think it's more a function of the service they provide. Being a vzw customer, it sucks big time the way they treat palm, especially webOS devices...but their customer service is otherwise top notch and their phone and data service is outstanding...similarly with att in most parts of the country. This despite the fact that tmobile and sprint have much cheaper and affordable plans. So even if we had to purchase our own phones full price, most would purchase the phone that is carried by the best wireless providers...which in the us is arguabling vzw and att.
    though not a fan of Verizon, it seems even with the update roadmap not show any Palm phones, and no talk at all about them, to me it seems out of the three carriers Verizon going to be the hardest to win over. Since they have adopted Android Permenatly, I see less and less chance Verizon will support Webos. They even went on to state recently they intend to support Android, BB, and WM. So to me im sure HP sees this and understands of course releasing a device on Verizon will help sales I dont think they will be pushing a launch intially to them, just because they 'll need as much support and effort from the carrier to help move the units and Verizon in the past and going forward regarding Webos dosent seem that they will.

Back on subject after reading the last couple of post I agree, really if you look at the pre I dont see anything wrong with it, I always like the design its sleek, pocketable and to me a nice idea. Though the things I hope they worked on and will work on regarding the portrait slider is better material for the design (more metal) Yes bring the treo 755p keys back, and make the screen size atleast 3.5 and give it a competitve resolution. If they did revamp this model like so, and included (which to me 1ghz processor, a bit better cameria etc) those specs which to me are fine, then coupled with a webos 2.0 they can make some noise this fall. I look forward to the rebirth of Webos, and this time with some muscle in HP behind it.