Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by crg28 View Post
    I can't wait to overclock this one to 1.5!!!
    Since the current processor is double clocked to 1gHz, is it reasonable to think that the 1gHz can be overclocked to 2gHz???
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    This has been mentioned a couple of times already, but expectations of new form factors is way off the mark. If you look at how the palm touchstone back plate fits, including:

-clippings
    -speaker holes
    -camera hole
    -flash hole

It's the same form factor!

This will simply replace the Pre minus and Pre + with a Pre ++, this adds minimal cost to the manufacturing process because the pins are the same and with 100% software compatibility, meaning no recompiling of all the kernals.

So stop speculating, and move on, spend some quality time getting drunk this holiday, and get ready for a wild CES show for HPalm.
    Last edited by nicekyo; 10/07/2010 at 11:55 AM. Reason: grammer correction
    Quote Originally Posted by nicekyo View Post
    This will simply replace the Pre minus and Pre + with a Pre ++, this adds minimal cost to the manufacturing process because the pins are the same and with 100% software compatibility, meaning no recompiling of all the kernals.
    Actually, a new processor (even a software and foot-print compatible one) will require a new kernel.

This is why WebOS Internals will be asking for donations when this device is announced so that we can purchase some developer devices of the P102 and create new custom kernels for it.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    perhaps this is the palm pre hd? like a pre ++, this might be the last palm device we will see running webos then next devices will all be hpalm? plus wouldnt palm like something new when they release 2.0? just my 2 cents................
    Ouch Palm. I was so hoping for something a little more innvoative than an update of an update. On the other hand, good for me. My contract with O2 will end in DEC 2011, so there is plenty of time to come up with something cool that I can purchase once my contract ends.

Oh, is there any chance this FCC specs could be a landscape slider?
    Quote Originally Posted by juavez707 View Post
    perhaps this is the palm pre hd? like a pre ++, this might be the last palm device we will see running webos then next devices will all be hpalm? plus wouldnt palm like something new when they release 2.0? just my 2 cents................
    HPalm's not an official name. I somewhat doubt HP will start branding the phones HP, given how well the previous HP phones sold.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    unless you are in Europe, this phone means nothing to you....
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    The Federal Communications Commission is an independent United States government agency.

As in NOT Europe, which means it will have something to do with us whether some small specs change in the process or not.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    If the back is truly the same, there is a lot that won't change. It will probably still be a curved slider, for example. And the size would almost certainly have to be the same. But the slider could be improved with a different design while still being curved. The keyboard could be completely different while fitting in the same footprint, and with some revisions to the front, there could be a larger glass screen there, say 3.4" or something.

But I agree that it's likely to be somewhere in between your best and worst cases.
    HPalm can still get rid of the curve sliding mechanism and make it straight by redesigning the 2 halves where they meet/slide; they can make the front/screen half flat and thin, thus making the back half proportionally thicker, which could explain the longer battery tab. If so, they can also increase the distance of how much it slides by a few millimeters for an improved keyboard. As far as the screen goes, 3.4 would be pushing it if they intend to keep the pebble (or river stone) shape. I would think 3.3 would be a safer bet, but I doubt a 640x960 resolution would be a big benefit on a smaller screen, the DPI would be through the roof, but anything above 300 is wasted. If they don't intend to keep the pebble shape to the front/screen half, then they can probably squeeze out 3.5 inches and then 640x960 would be more plausible.

Then there's the upgrades to the Processor, memory, storage, camera, speakerphone, earpiece, microphone(s), etc. New specifications for WiFi, Bluetooth, and USB. And of course, WebOS 2.0 with new API's. They may be able to squeeze in a compass, although I don't know how that would/could work with the touchstone.

This, in my opinion, would be more than just a Pre++.
    Last edited by RafRol; 10/07/2010 at 02:00 PM.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    That is not so. I'm not in Europe, and it means a lot to me.

The UEU model of webOS devices is useable in most parts of the world, including in the US (just not on the odd-man-out US 3G frequency).

The UEU model is the "global" phone (i.e. works in most parts of the world). The EWW and UNA models are restricted to a few countries only.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smith2sc View Post
    The Federal Communications Commission is an independent United States government agency.

As in NOT Europe, which means it will have something to do with us whether some small specs change in the process or not.
    It will have something to do with us because European/World phones will be roaming in U.S. when visiting. This is the inverse of why U.S. models appeared on TUV. Otherwise, they wouldn't legally be allowed outside their home markets.
    Last edited by RafRol; 10/07/2010 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    Except that the TUV Certs show that there are also CDMA versions which will almost certainly show up in the US.

As a stopgap measure to put a new device out there for the holiday season, this makes sense, especially if it's priced under the EVO and latest Droid variants. With WebOS 2.0 and the postulated specs, it could offer every bit of functionality and performance as the existing crop of devices at a cheaper price point. There will be lots of people upgrading from dumbphones over the holidays and this will be a compelling choice for that market, if marketed properly.

All of this assumes there is a new super device ready for release in the first half of 2011.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    That is not so. I'm not in Europe, and it means a lot to me.

The UEU model of webOS devices is useable in most parts of the world, including in the US (just not on the odd-man-out US 3G frequency).

The UEU model is the "global" phone (i.e. works in most parts of the world). The EWW and UNA models are restricted to a few countries only.

-- Rod
    Well I would argue the UNA isn't any less "global" than the UEU. Both still supports quadband 2G so it'll at least work, and both segregates off half of the world on 3G.

Up till now I still don't understand why didn't Palm go with the tri-band 3G route, the MSM6260 supports it. One less piece of hardware, just software differences, and true global roaming.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Well I would argue the UNA isn't any less "global" than the UEU. Both still supports quadband 2G so it'll at least work, and both segregates off half of the world on 3G.
    I'd argue the "half", but will agree with your principle. It definitely is true that either UEU or UNA will work GSM/EDGE anywhere in the world.

Up till now I still don't understand why didn't Palm go with the tri-band 3G route, the MSM6260 supports it. One less piece of hardware, just software differences, and true global roaming.
    Just typical non-global thinking I expect.

-- Rod
    so I guess the question remains:

-will this phone have a larger screen?
    -when will this phone launch?
    -what carriers will be carring this device?

to me Im still thinking this is the C40 device Palm had done before the buyout, if so hopefully not just the inside specs are better, hopefully the screen is larger, and the design is better. To me to keep people interested until next year if this is HP and palms plan for a hold out phone, they dont want to duplicate a bad design like the original pre IMO regardless if we don't mind it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    .........Seriously mate, for your own health, it might be best not to read PreCentral forums if you've already made up your mind about your next device.-- Rod
    Thats funny, or is it just my Aussie sense of humour?
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

If this new phone is in fact using the exact same back then my gut feeling is that virtually nothing will change externally (screen, buttons). Why bother keeping the same back unless you're going to keep everything else the same? This is disconcerting to say the least. Let’s face it, the Pre has problems. Bad slider, fragile buttons, screen issues (heat spots, dead pixels, plastic cracking and scratching easily).

Another thought that crosses my mind is that they're going the Apple route. Make small iterative updates with each release of a new device, with a totally new phone coming out every 3-4 years. Problem is, they didn't have a smash hit with their initial phone. So this just won't work.

I'm certainly not opposed to keeping the same form factor, but like others have side they need to make more of a change if they want to get anyone's attention. Here's hoping that the use of the same touchstone back in testing was some kind of a fluke.
    Quote Originally Posted by hux View Post
    Ouch Palm. I was so hoping for something a little more innvoative than an update of an update. On the other hand, good for me. My contract with O2 will end in DEC 2011, so there is plenty of time to come up with something cool that I can purchase once my contract ends.----
    The somewhat successful iPhone range, hasn't really changed much in terms of form factor, each new model is just slightly upgraded 'parts'. It doesn't seem to have hurt their sales too much?

edit: Having played with them both, I wouldn't bother buying a iPhone4 if I already owned a 3GS.
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Quote Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post
    The somewhat successful iPhone range, hasn't really changed much in terms of form factor, each new model is just slightly upgraded 'parts'. It doesn't seem to have hurt their sales too much?

edit: Having played with them both, I wouldn't bother buying a iPhone4 if I already owned a 3GS.
    right, but the iphone had good sales to start with...
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Has anyone search of fcc listings under HP? And not Palm?