Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast
    320x480 still? Honestly, letdown device...I guess this is going to become the second-hand form factor while Palm develops its stupidly-sized Mansion sans any keyboard, even a landscape one. Definitely going to be a battle between the Mansion and moving to another platform for me, unfortunately.
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    320x480 still? Honestly, letdown device...I guess this is going to become the second-hand form factor while Palm develops its stupidly-sized Mansion sans any keyboard, even a landscape one. Definitely going to be a battle between the Mansion and moving to another platform for me, unfortunately.
    Who has said anything about resolution? It could be perfectly a VGA device...

--Sent using Tap@Talk for webOS
    Newness Developments apps:

malpha is probably correct. If it is a different resolution, it will have fewer apps than the current pre, unless it is 640 x 960. I would be astonished if it had that high of a res. That res will be for the roadrunner HD.
    Personally, I love the hardware on the current Pre Plus. I think it's the best looking phone on the market by far. I'd be perfectly happy with some significant internal upgrades and perhaps some minor hardware upgrades (ie, build quality) until they can generate a really new device. My only hope is that this device can come out much sooner rather than later.
    I hope they don't release this phone. That being said i hope they fix the keyboard and sharp plastic edges if they do. I personally cant stand when my fat fingers hit the top part of the slider while typing.
    They desperately need to release something.
    Best Case Hardware Scenario:
    They squeeze a 3.5" 640x960 screen on same frame.
    Autofocus camera with great IQ and HD video.
    All day battery life.
    Front facing camera.
    Glass screen.
    Greatly improved KB and slider.
    Big upgrade to ram and storage

Worst Case Hardware Scenario:
    It is a pre plus with a new processor.

The best case is a very worthy upgrade. The worst case is a complete disaster. Chances are the Pre2 is somewhere in between.
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Who has said anything about resolution? It could be perfectly a VGA device...

--Sent using Tap@Talk for webOS
    Well, if we're going to believe the first appearance of the Roadrunner in the app logs is true, no new resolutions popped up.
    screwdestiny
    PSN • Twitter • Last.FM
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbird34608 View Post
    Best Case Hardware Scenario:
    They squeeze a 3.5" 640x960 screen on same frame.
    Autofocus camera with great IQ and HD video.
    All day battery life.
    Front facing camera.
    Glass screen.
    Greatly improved KB and slider.
    Big upgrade to ram and storage

The best case is a very worthy upgrade. The worst case is a complete disaster. Chances are the Pre2 is somewhere in between.
    If the back is truly the same, there is a lot that won't change. It will probably still be a curved slider, for example. And the size would almost certainly have to be the same. But the slider could be improved with a different design while still being curved. The keyboard could be completely different while fitting in the same footprint, and with some revisions to the front, there could be a larger glass screen there, say 3.4" or something.

But I agree that it's likely to be somewhere in between your best and worst cases.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Well, if we're going to believe the first appearance of the Roadrunner in the app logs is true, no new resolutions popped up.
    There was a second appearance with 640x960 resolution. See here: http://www.precentral.net/roadrunner...s-time-640x960
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    you can make a bigger screen with the same back,,just look at it. All you got to do is streamline gensture area,,,not to hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    There was a second appearance with 640x960 resolution. See here: http://www.precentral.net/roadrunner...s-time-640x960
    And shortly after there was the appearance of an iPhone running a webOS app, so I think it's more probable that someone tinkered with that log which is why I specifically said the first one.
    screwdestiny
    PSN • Twitter • Last.FM
    So if the resolution on the new device is different from the current Pre/Plus, then all the apps I've purchased would not work for the new device?
    And shortly after there was the appearance of an iPhone running a webOS app, so I think it's more probable that someone tinkered with that log which is why I specifically said the first one.
    Huh. Missed that one. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    So if the resolution on the new device is different from the current Pre/Plus, then all the apps I've purchased would not work for the new device?
    Wrong. WebOS apps are made to scale. Only the PDK apps may be off, but those can be easy to fix IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbird34608 View Post
    I can't help but think that this is the likely situation. Same battery cover means the ear phone jack is in the same spot, no SD slot, same speaker location, same flash and camera location, same exact curve to the phone.....all points the a Pre + +
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    Not true. SDK apps (normal webos apps) would probably work just fine, perhaps with some slight modifications, as they are based on web technologies and therefore built to scale to different resolutions inherently.

PDK apps could run in a resolution-doubled mode, ie an app designed for 320x480 could run on a 640x960 screen.
    Not everyone needs a high-res device. There's nothing wrong to refresh the Pre and push it down to mid-range and compete with the Curve 3G. If anything the parts sharing helps Palm clear their parts bin.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIΙ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    it is possible to upgrade the camera module without changing the back. It is also possible to fit a larger screen on the front without changing the external dimensions. My best case scenario (see above) shows that it is possible to keep the same external dimensions while upgrading the internals to a degree that would constitute an extremely good upgrade. If the upgrade is only for the processor, the pre 2 will likely sell less units than the original pre by an order of magnitude. I am expecting it to be closer to the worst case scenario than the best, but I'll hold judgement until more is known.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Not everyone needs a high-res device. There's nothing wrong to refresh the Pre and push it down to mid-range and compete with the Curve 3G. If anything the parts sharing helps Palm clear their parts bin.

Well, maybe not everyone, but uh...I don't need a rehash of what I already have. And with Android and iPhone clearly being ahead of the curve in both marketshare and hardware, Palm doesn't need a rehash of what it already has (especially a rehash of something hardly anyone bought - I mean really, THINNER didn't cross anyone's mind? Let's all hope for a radically redesigned front plate!). I mean, it definitely looks like Pre++ to me, too. Granted, there is surely (HOPEFULLY) something else on the horizon and I suppose that's the Mansion, but then I'm left with a form factor similar to the competition and thus, leaving the device more open to comparison with other platforms - with form factor preference gone, there's UI preference, app preference, dev support preference, specs preference. For me, as someone who wants to upgrade their device beyond what I already have, it lessens the wall between webOS and Android.
    screwdestiny
    PSN • Twitter • Last.FM