Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Don't get me wrong I'm excited to see what Palm has to show with it's next generation devices but this week was hard to see things we'll never get with the current Pre or next generation Pre. Feel free to share other cool tech you don't think we'll ever see on WebOS.

1. Google Goggles -Android and iPhone only
    What is it?
    It's visual Shazam (another thing we don't have) but instead of just for songs.. It's Everything!
    Why you should care?
    Imagine you come across the latest Nigel Tomm book do you want to type in that title or take a pic to find available copies?

2. Motorola Roadster -Android only (iPhone likely)
    What is it?
    It's an in-car speakerphone with MotoSpeak that can do text-to-speech and speech-to-text.
    Why should you care?
    Ever check your email or texts while driving? It's ok, it's just you and me now, nobody is around, you can fess up. Ahh Huhh! I thought so, wouldn't you rather be safer and look cool with stuff being read to you and dictate a response all hands free? Of course you would.

This post wasn't meant to bum you out but start a conversation about some things that HP should should watch for. If you do a lot of driving how invaluable would MotoSpeak be for you? What else is out there that some of you wish the Pre could do?
    market share is the cool feature I really want.

both of those other features are also important. I also want skype.
    Last edited by Workerb33; 10/06/2010 at 01:50 PM.
    i have no use for either!
    Google Goggles is pretty cool... but it isnt a killer app, there isnt that often I desperately need to take a picture of something I cant identify.... it would be a seldom use app that would be super helpful on the rare occasions I needed it. Shazaam on the other hand, would be really nice and I would use it at least a few times a month on some song I couldnt identify at a party or in the elevator etc...

The second one, Motorola Roadster... I really have no use for speech to text... every one I have tried has been more trouble that anything else. I have a thick accent...

Swype... as mentioned... is just awesome. I could leave a physical keyboard for a phone that had swype and it worked well. (Some touchscreens like the EVO dont handle it well... the EPIC is fantastic with it though, but the EPIC is a terrible phone.)
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    Ever check your email or texts while driving? It's
    Nothing is that important that I have to e-mail, text (receive or send) while I'm driving.

and never is a long time.
    ...cards and WebOS.

I mean c'mon, it's the things exclusive to a particular device that makes it special to those who like that device. You know... some people have red hair, others have brown. And isn't it great that there are those who prefer one or the other. Variety of selection by definition provides for choice. So glad that iPhone and Android are only two of the choices.
    ronlongo, the Thanks was 'thanks for serving'
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    ...cards and WebOS.

I mean c'mon, it's the things exclusive to a particular device that makes it special to those who like that device. You know... some people have red hair, others have brown. And isn't it great that there are those who prefer one or the other. Variety of selection by definition provides for choice. So glad that iPhone and Android are only two of the choices.
    Google Goggles is service like google search or Gmail and the two biggest OS's are Android and iOS but now that a big company like HP is behind Palm, there is no reason why similar features or services can't be offered.

And like many Precentral members I have and use the Motorola T505 in-car speakerphone which allows for almost any phone with Bluetooth to pair. I also appreciate using my pre to play music through my car stereo. The Motorola Roadster is the next generation and will still work with my phone for most features but I'd like the MotoSpeak option.

When people post they'd like WebOS to have market share, I don't know how you can do that without offering amazing services and features?
    I want a better AIM client...
    If you want to buy a Palm Pre is great condition. Here's your chance.

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...91#post2782191
    I don't understand why we would never get them.

that moto app for example, why couldn't a similar app happen for the pre in the future? (given what we are told about the new microphone and camera API's?)

and the google goggles, why not on some future device? perhaps it would be difficult now, with the fixed focus camera, but to rule out the future?

these are compelling apps that webOS does not have, and it is an advantage those platforms hold over it. But to say they cannot get them, I'm wondering if thats more stoking flames than anything else.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post

that moto app for example, why couldn't a similar app happen for the pre in the future? (given what we are told about the new microphone and camera API's?)

and the google goggles, why not on some future device? perhaps it would be difficult now, with the fixed focus camera, but to rule out the future?

these are compelling apps that webOS does not have, and it is an advantage those platforms hold over it. But to say they cannot get them, I'm wondering if thats more stoking flames than anything else.
    As someone said in an earlier post "Never is a long time" but at least not in the foreseeable future. Unless users care and HP cares then nobody will care. A lot of people who posted in this thread don't seem to care. Maybe it's only the people in SF who talk to me or other techie areas that care.
    Market share will drive whether or not these services or others like them will pop up for webOS. If there is huge growth in market share, the developers will come in droves with ideas and experience to write apps for this platform that will equal if not be better than existing apps today.

It all comes down to, can HP drive Palm into the upper echelon on mobile/connected devices?
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post

They'll probably land on WebOS eventually.

The thing is, they're available right now on Android and iPhone because that's where the innovation is. As the biggest underdog in the game, WebOS can't succeed as a platform that's always a step behind the competition.
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    Don't get me wrong I'm excited to see what Palm has to show with it's next generation devices but this week was hard to see things we'll never get with the current Pre or next generation Pre. Feel free to share other cool tech you don't think we'll ever see on WebOS.

1. Google Goggles -Android and iPhone only
    What is it?
    It's visual Shazam (another thing we don't have) but instead of just for songs.. It's Everything!
    Why you should care?
    Imagine you come across the latest Nigel Tomm book do you want to type in that title or take a pic to find available copies?

2. Motorola Roadster -Android only (iPhone likely)
    What is it?
    It's an in-car speakerphone with MotoSpeak that can do text-to-speech and speech-to-text.
    Why should you care?
    Ever check your email or texts while driving? It's ok, it's just you and me now, nobody is around, you can fess up. Ahh Huhh! I thought so, wouldn't you rather be safer and look cool with stuff being read to you and dictate a response all hands free? Of course you would.

This post wasn't meant to bum you out but start a conversation about some things that HP should should watch for. If you do a lot of driving how invaluable would MotoSpeak be for you? What else is out there that some of you wish the Pre could do?
    Not bummed, I wouldn't use these if they were available for the Pre. Meanwhile, I would sorely miss such things as easy multitasking/cards, nice notification system, lots of games (unless I suddenly came into millions of dollars and needed a place to waste them, thus getting a iPhone).

Oh, and a phone you can actually use as a phone. You know, with clear calls and a size that is actually portable...
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    ...cards and WebOS.

+1
    Someone mentioned shazam and I would use that more than I would Google Goggles. But we should be happy that we got Angry Birds WAY before the Android community(the full version will be released soon for them). Skype would be another awesome app I wish we had... Hopefully soon!
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Oh cmon guys? Nobody wants to goggles? I seriously think almost everyone you'd ask here will take a palm over anything, no matter the argument and ubdertandably, that is to be expected

I want my phone to be able to dictate and also voice to text on it's own! Checkmate !
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    I sounded really funny understandably
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkguy View Post
    Oh cmon guys? Nobody wants to goggles? I seriously think almost everyone you'd ask here will take a palm over anything, no matter the argument and ubdertandably, that is to be expected

I want my phone to be able to dictate and also voice to text on it's own! Checkmate !
    Its a cool idea, but it isn't a game changing app. I really can't see using it. THat said, if it was available (for free) I'd try it, and maybe I'd use it occasionally, but I can't see complaining that it isn't available on the Palm. It isn't like an Office suite. That's a more serious oversight.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewanders View Post
    Google Goggles is pretty cool... but it isnt a killer app, there isnt that often I desperately need to take a picture of something I cant identify.... it would be a seldom use app that would be super helpful on the rare occasions I needed it. Shazaam on the other hand, would be really nice and I would use it at least a few times a month on some song I couldnt identify at a party or in the elevator etc...

The second one, Motorola Roadster... I really have no use for speech to text... every one I have tried has been more trouble that anything else. I have a thick accent...

Swype... as mentioned... is just awesome. I could leave a physical keyboard for a phone that had swype and it worked well. (Some touchscreens like the EVO dont handle it well... the EPIC is fantastic with it though, but the EPIC is a terrible phone.)
    Sorry, but the Pre is an infinitely much WORSE phone than the Epic will EVER be.

Sent from my fantastic Epic.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast