Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    I want a better AIM client...
    Holy crap, how did the other "you" in the mirror have a bazooka instead of a pistol????? I wanna know!!!
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    I'm curious whether Palm succeeded in adding a working compass inside the new hardware that doesn't interfere with the touchstone magnets...

Because I would love to see things like Layar!!!
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    Sorry, but the Pre is an infinitely much WORSE phone than the Epic will EVER be.

Sent from my fantastic Epic.
    And yet, here you are posting in a Palm Pre forum. Are you experiencing Pre Envy?
    somebody said something on the last page regarding the lack of an auto-focus/ image stabilizer. I understand that due to the physical lens of the camera, there is no optical zoom capability, but why not an image stabilizer/anti-blur? Seems to me that would be some sort of software code or something? Is it something that would be too large to be accomodated?
    WOW I'm moving right now.

/ironic
    Newness Developments apps:

Quote Originally Posted by jkeitz View Post
    And yet, here you are posting in a Palm Pre forum. Are you experiencing Pre Envy?
    Nope, i have both (actually several devices) and can say with conviction which is a better or worse device. And as you can see, i've been here since the Treo 650 days.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    I thought of another app that won't make it to the Pre or future Pres if there is not a big movement toward WebOS: SiriusXM.
    top cool apps needed:
    1. shazam - maybe with WebOS 2.0 mic apis?
    2. google goggles - if the thread above is purportedly true, it won't take long!

what we have that's cool:
    1. angry birds - android doesn't (or it's a buggy beta!)

I'd say we're getting close. Main thing lacking is speed and new hardware.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    somebody said something on the last page regarding the lack of an auto-focus/ image stabilizer. I understand that due to the physical lens of the camera, there is no optical zoom capability, but why not an image stabilizer/anti-blur? Seems to me that would be some sort of software code or something? Is it something that would be too large to be accomodated?
    There are only three ways to reduce image blur: more light, shorter exposure time, or optical image stabilization. None of those are really software addressable.

Light and time are two sides of the same coin. When there isn't enoug light, the phone increases the length of time it "reads" the sensor to let it capture more light. When the sensor is getting enough light, the camera can capture the image in less time. Longer time=more blur, less time=less (to no) blur.

Image stabalization works by actually moving the lens (or) sensor to counter the movement of the image coming through the lens. This only works to reduce blur induced by movement of the camera itself (or phone) and will not correct for movement of what you are taking a picture of.

Video can be a little different. With video, through software, some cameras will shift the image around during recording by recording at a lower resolution than the sensor is capable of and using the non-recorded portion of the sensor as a 'buffer' area within which it can shift the recorded portion of the sensor to counter shake. While this can reduce camera-shake, it can not do anything about motion blur within a single frame of video.

[i]-- Sent from my Palm PrPrPr
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wyckedankh View Post
    I thought of another app that won't make it to the Pre or future Pres if there is not a big movement toward WebOS: SiriusXM.
    That is an app I desperately want!

[i]-- Sent from my Palm PrPrPr
    Has anyone seen the app called OfferEye? Kinda like google goggles. And like other people have said, once the APIs for the mic are available, developers will be working on voice apps.
    Back to webOS with my new Touchpad!!!
    Check Out My TouchPad Theme "Paint It Black" http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...iew-black.html
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    I don't think I would use google goggles. I think in a race if me and someone else chose something to search for and both pulled out our phones at the same time, I could slide my keyboard out, type it in and hit enter faster than they could open the task launcher, scroll to google goggles, open google goggles, and take a picture. If it's something obscure then goggles might be better, and I definitely think it's cool, but I don't think it's convenient enough for practical use.
    I want my future Pre to do everything that the xphone can, although we probably won't see any of it on a Pre, maybe on an iphone or android.

Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    Sorry, but the Pre is an infinitely much WORSE phone than the Epic will EVER be.

Sent from my fantastic Epic.
    then go back to your android forum and spout it there.... We here at Precentral seem to disagree with you
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    Don't get me wrong I'm excited to see what Palm has to show with it's next generation devices but this week was hard to see things we'll never get with the current Pre or next generation Pre. Feel free to share other cool tech you don't think we'll ever see on WebOS.

1. Google Goggles -Android and iPhone only
    Oh really?
    Quote Originally Posted by ahitz View Post
    That's not Google Goggles.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    That's not Google Goggles.
    My mistake. I misread.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    I was going to mention this app as well (OfferEye), but I haven't actually used it to see if it works like Google Goggles. (Actually, I haven't ever used Google Goggles either.)
    Quote Originally Posted by botanu View Post
    I was going to mention this app as well (OfferEye), but I haven't actually used it to see if it works like Google Goggles. (Actually, I haven't ever used Google Goggles either.)
    It doesn't. Goggles runs on Google's back end and uses their proprietary image database which (so far) they haven't provided APIs for. This is kind of like having all my friends upload their pictures to my web server and calling it Facebook.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast