1.    #1  
    Yes, I know HP has given us a loose timeframe for when new phones and tablets will arrive, and they'll likely have lots and lots of details at CES. But if you're a developer who isn't already committed to iPhone or Android solely, and with Microsoft handing out financial guarantees and already locking up scores of developers for Windows Phone 7, why would you put any efforts to WebOS between now and then?

After all, those are vital, actively-promoted platforms on the market with mature development tools and a sizable user base available now. WebOS is not, and won't be for some time.

This is a genuine question, BTW, not just another "Slag Palm/HP" thread. I'm curious as to what incentives are left.
    yep, and new ones will come as webOS 2.0 gains momentum. right now one incentive is the lack of competition. the angry birds dev made a killing with the webOS version of the game.

if a dev creates a really good app right now, it's much easier to stand out from the crowd than if it is buried in a catalog with 200,000 other apps.

that's not enough to draw a dev, but it's definitely an advantage.
    Well not to mention that developers will always float around to different devices if they are popular. It's not like the current pool is all we'll ever get.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Yes, I know HP has given us a loose timeframe for when new phones and tablets will arrive, and they'll likely have lots and lots of details at CES. But if you're a developer who isn't already committed to iPhone or Android solely, and with Microsoft handing out financial guarantees and already locking up scores of developers for Windows Phone 7, why would you put any efforts to WebOS between now and then?

After all, those are vital, actively-promoted platforms on the market with mature development tools and a sizable user base available now. WebOS is not, and won't be for some time.

This is a genuine question, BTW, not just another "Slag Palm/HP" thread. I'm curious as to what incentives are left.
    As a developer, I see it as a 'long' term investment (I must admit that I'm not sure what means exactly 'long', as a couple of good devices can make it in less than a year).

Apps development isn't a matter of days, and I believe that webOS can reach a good market share. So, I want to be there when webOS gets traction.

Others may prefer to start developing on a more stablished platform.

--Sent using Tap@Talk for webOS
    Newness Developments apps:

Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    yep, and new ones will come as webOS 2.0 gains momentum. right now one incentive is the lack of competition. the angry birds dev made a killing with the webOS version of the game.

if a dev creates a really good app right now, it's much easier to stand out from the crowd than if it is buried in a catalog with 200,000 other apps.

Not sure about that, at least in a timeframe perspective. Phone apps market sales seems evolve at newcomers speed, not stablished users size. So, if you go to market with a great idea, you'll probably get a good revenue at launch (because of stablished users), but later you'll see how your numbers go down to ground (because of the small grow rate of the platform).

Probably that's the reason we don't see complex apps in the Catalog, as developer can't see a good long term revenue, and can't get the investment returned.

--Sent using Tap@Talk for webOS
    Newness Developments apps:

check out the main precentral.net page. they just posted a story with data about developer interest. it's still small, but it shows to double (from 3% to 6%) in the next twelve months.
  7.    #7  

You speak as if the Angry Birds developer chose WebOS, when in fact they went multi-platform with Angry Birds and only long after it had reached ubiquity on iPhone. And that's with the PDK making only game ports easy.

The "lack of competition" card has been flogged since day one, and here we sit at less than five thousands apps in well over a year. Doesn't seem to be effective incentive thus far.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    check out the main precentral.net page. they just posted a story with data about developer interest. it's still small, but it shows to double (from 3% to 6%) in the next twelve months.
    AND, I think a 100% increase is huge considering there isn't a new product on the market. it tells me some are interested in webOS 2.0, some are interested in porting existing apps, while still others may just believe in the future of HP Palm.

Hopefully, a year from now, it will more than double again. I'd love to see it above 50% in a year or two.
  9.    #9  
    Well, if you're starting in the low single digits, doubling after a year and a half on the market says...well, nothing, really.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
    AND, I think a 100% increase is huge considering there isn't a new product on the market. it tells me some are interested in webOS 2.0, some are interested in porting existing apps, while still others may just believe in the future of HP Palm.

Hopefully, a year from now, it will more than double again. I'd love to see it above 50% in a year or two.
    Considering the interest "uptick" is almost an exact duplicate of the trajectory of Symbian - a platform which is being dumped and left behind - I really cannot see how you think this is "huge".
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Considering the interest "uptick" is almost an exact duplicate of the trajectory of Symbian - a platform which is being dumped and left behind - I really cannot see how you think this is "huge".
    You don't have to think 100% increase is huge. I do. In fact, IMO, I think 100% growth in any business, regardless of its size is pretty darned good. I sure wish my business/industry was growing that fast.

IMO, you did not start this thread to actually learn what others thought. That is quite obvious from your answers to those who have responded to your question in good faith. It seems quite evident from this & other threads that you think you already know the answer to your own question & are more interested in dumping on others who are of a different opinion.
  12.    #12  
    You don't have to think 100% increase is huge. IMO, I wish I had a business, regardless of its size, that grew at a rate of 100% per year.
    Wow....what business sells developer interests? Are they traded like energy futures or credit default swaps?
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Wow....what business sells developer interests? Are they traded like energy futures or credit default swaps?
    Why did you ask the question or start this thread? it is obvious you are smarter than everyone else and already have the answer.
    They made porting apps over to webOS from Andorid and iOS pretty easy. All they need to do now is release webOS 2.0 with the missing hardware APIs and that should help hold over until the new hardware comes out.
  15.    #15  
    Why did you ask the question or start this thread? it is obvious you are smarter than everyone else and already have the answer.
    I have opinions and beliefs which I enjoy being challenged. If they're valid, they should be able to withstand scrutiny. If not, I change my mind and learn from the experience. Either way, it's beneficial.

This is how discussion and debate generally works.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    They made porting apps over to webOS from Andorid and iOS pretty easy. All they need to do now is release webOS 2.0 with the missing hardware APIs and that should help hold over until the new hardware comes out.
    They made porting GAMES easy, and even that has interested just a small handful of development houses at best in the last several months.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    You speak as if the Angry Birds developer chose WebOS, when in fact they went multi-platform with Angry Birds and only long after it had reached ubiquity on iPhone. And that's with the PDK making only game ports easy.

The "lack of competition" card has been flogged since day one, and here we sit at less than five thousands apps in well over a year. Doesn't seem to be effective incentive thus far.
    I see the relatively easy way to port apps from the iPhone as a bonus. Throw in hybrid apps and I can see WebOS holding on the the few developers (relatively speaking of course) they have for the time being. With HP pushing serious marketing dollars and decent hardware early next year I suspect we will see growth in the future. I don't think we'll see the iPhone numbers and probably not even Android numbers anytime in the near future, if ever, but we'll see enough for WebOS to thrive and continue.

Now that Apple have relaxed a little and have once again allowed development of apps with 3rd party tools I can see a lot of app developers moving to a multi-OS centric model where something like Adobe's tools are used to create an app for multiple platforms.

As Mr. Miller once said..."Of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong"