Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by chad783 View Post
    Glad you are optimistic because Sprint Pre customers are not. We have been hearing this for almost 2 years about what might be coming, what should be coming, etc. Now they have come out and said they will release a phone in early 2011? How many times are they going to keep leading us on? Maybe I am frustrated because I have seen this movie too many times. Most of us are out of our 1 year warranty so when the phone is cracked, broken, etc., it is either you pay the $100 for the insurance to get a new one or switch to a different platform. I have stuck with Palm for many many years (as you can see in my signature) but I am getting tired of always being behind of the competition. I have hung with them because they say that it is going to get better and it never does. I am NOT very optimistic about these announcements because it seems like they have been making mistake after mistake since this merger.

I'm also a Sprint Pre user but I'm not sweating it. Like I said, if Palm isn't meeting your phone needs then move on. As far as I know, nothing was promised to be released. I agree that it is bad business to wait so long to release new hardware but people are going on as if something has been taken away from us. So if you're not feeling optimistic, go out there and playing around with other OSes and devices to find what's right for you right now.

Wasn't it just a couple weeks ago that Rahul said that new devices aren't coming soon? Yet people prefer to buy into rumours and then get upset once some official information is actually brought forth.

I think someone else in this thread brought up the point that HP probably isn't too worried about losing what market share Palm has now, which makes sense. More and more people in this country shop for a smartphone each year, upgrading from a dumbphone or feature phone. The number of potential customers in that respect is more valuable than pleasing 3% current market share.

I'm not saying I necessary agree because I'm on Sprint and have been supportive of Palm and Sprint from the beginning. But the marketing student in me, knows that for a company they have to do what they can to make money.
    I am, therefore I think
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Lets get real here for a second and look at what's most likely gonna happpen.

1. AT&T will most likely lose Iphone exclusivity and the Iphone will be on Verizon and with Verizon along with Iphone marketing that spells trouble th competition, even Android. I mean Verizon made droids a big deal of a not so great of a OS that is still clunky and still has fragmentation issues, see droid eris with no 2.2

2. Sprint will push Android and more android.

3. HP will lanch new phones against heavily marketed competition who seems to be more serious at this point than HP. Win 7 coming out and Microsoft seems to be pretty serious about capturing market share.

4. Webos has alot of issueswith functionality, better yet no real sense to develop for such a small marketshare OS.

if apple is on verizon it's a wrap, no matter how elegant webos is that battle facing 3 giants will be steep. Webos needs exposure and fast but at this rate HP will lose this battle, Apple and Google with the coolness factor, Rim with the business trying to cross over, what will HP do? Seems knda pointless at this point.
    People have to get over the "palm's hardware is so bad that the public assumes anything new will be crap."

I have news for you, palm didn't not market the Pre very well, which in this case is a mixed blessing. Most consumers have no idea there is or ever was a Palm pre or pixi, most consumers haven't heard about Palm since the Pilot days. HP can enter the market with more or less a clean slate. "Super-Users" (pre-central regulars and well informed smart phone users galore) do not drive the market.
    worst time, no.. best time def not... If they have all the hardware already just launch it more strategically, w/ a big hyped up promise to update
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Well, a few big differences between Windows Phone 7 and WebOS 2.0:

When Microsoft saw Kin wasn't working, they quickly killed it rather let it linger on and spoil the water for Windows Phone 7. The current junky WebOS hardware and slow, laggy software build has been in the public eye for months on end, and HP is still trying to pay people to sign up for a contract to take one off their hands rather than eat the cost and start over like Microsoft did.

Microsoft has been building buzz by letting the hardware and software be seen and extensively used in beta builds for months before launch. HP is...waiting for CES, I guess?

Microsoft started with a huge developer outreach and financial guarantees to assure a solid app catalog on day one, including an official Twitter app which WebOS has yet to get. HP and Palm have Rahul Sood "calling all developers" on Twitter along with the buzz-free "Hot Apps" contest.

Microsoft is relaunching a phone OS on a single, high-end hardware spec. HP and Palm are trying to throw WebOS on everything with a touchscreen of any size and have the low-end Pixi as a hardware baseline.

And even with all of that, Microsoft's relaunch is far from guaranteed success. But I would say they are positioning themselves better than HP...thus far.

Let's see what happens at CES 2011.
    I wasn't really comparing the Kin to Palm because to me, the Kin was never a smartphone. I was just using that as an example of how MS has screwed up in the eyes of consumers.

MS has buzz to build up because they have products to back it up. I don't think HP/Palm are the stage to unveil any specs or devices so why jump the gun? CES 2011 is in January, beginning of the year, so that leaves up to 5 months after to build as much hype as they want. I'm not really sure where you were going with that one.

You're right about MS having the financial backing and developer support to pull off WP7 but isn't that what HP is trying to accomplish now with webOS? I feel like people want instant results when they merger just finalized two months ago. They probably started from scratch.

Just to clarify, I'm not comparing WP7 to webOS and current Palm phones now. I'm just drawing a comparison of why future Palm phones with a more enhanced webOS wont necessarily fail.

In the end, I'm not so tied to Palm that I wouldn't get another phone if my Pre conked out. So I say, buy a device that suits what you want! It's all about preference and opinion.
    I am, therefore I think
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    People have to get over the "palm's hardware is so bad that the public assumes anything new will be crap."

I have news for you, palm didn't not market the Pre very well, which in this case is a mixed blessing. Most consumers have no idea there is or ever was a Palm pre or pixi, most consumers haven't heard about Palm since the Pilot days. HP can enter the market with more or less a clean slate. "Super-Users" (pre-central regulars and well informed smart phone users galore) do not drive the market.
    Thank you! In a market like smartphones where technology is constantly evolving and more customers are popping up left and right, there is opportunity to be found.
    I am, therefore I think
    missing the holiday season would be a fail for palm. im happy with my new pre but my upgrade comes in a month and im sure by x-mas ill be into an evo.
    Quote Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72 View Post
    I don't see this launch going very well IMO The CDMA iPhone and Android 3.0 will be releasin too and get all of the hype. I'm waiting to see Android 3.0 before I updrade but may get an iPhone if it does go to Verizon.
    the iphone is overrated. ive worked on a few and i wouldn't own one or a wp7 device. simple tasks like transferring your photos from an iphone/ipod to your pc requires a paid app which should of been there by default.

besides it was confirmed a cdma iphone was not happening, did something change? if so i see a big blow coming for even android.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Even if HP/Palm does come out with a phone the is near or even better (hardware wise) than what is out there, it is still going to take time for the developers to get onboard with WebOS. We already know that the software and UI is much better than Andriod, RIM and others but developers are dropping like flies and leaving for other platforms. I really and truly love webOS but feel behind the competition in development...ALL THE TIME. I am going to do some research on Android and see how they compare and maybe pick up the Epic. But I will keep my eye on WebOS and once I feel that they are at the level of the iPhone and Android are now, I might come back.
    Sprint Phones owned since Fall of 2001: Samsung I300, Samsung I330, Samsung I500, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Centro, 800w, Palm Pre, Samsung Epic and now the HTC 3D EVO.
    Quote Originally Posted by chad783 View Post
    Even if HP/Palm does come out with a phone the is near or even better (hardware wise) than what is out there, it is still going to take time for the developers to get onboard with WebOS. We already know that the software and UI is much better than Andriod, RIM and others but developers are dropping like flies and leaving for other platforms. I really and truly love webOS but feel behind the competition in development...ALL THE TIME. I am going to do some research on Android and see how they compare and maybe pick up the Epic. But I will keep my eye on WebOS and once I feel that they are at the level of the iPhone and Android are now, I might come back.
    Yeah I agree. With more dev support webOS could really be a contender. It's already so easy to develop for and boasts a nice, elegant OS and UI. Good luck on your phone search btw.
    I am, therefore I think
    THIS JUST IN:

Palm just announced that all of their upcoming phones will be LTE.

Wait, I think I read that wrong...

it says they will all be LaTE.

yea i agree i kinda hope when HP put these devices out, people think its something completely new like "HOLLY CRAP HP IS MAKING PHONES NOW!" because even tho i turned a lot of people on to the Palm Pre some people didn't want to hear about it n just say PALM SUCKS.... i used to hate palm for what they did with my girls centro.... .:sigh:. but that was just customer service and i did warn her to get sprints insurance....

I agree! I hope they market the hell out of the new phone(s)
    I think to find the best time, Palm/HP should do a study of when the majority of carrier phone upgrades occur.
    I think that no matter when they choose to launch:

you can please some of the people some of the time, but you can please everyone all the time.

It really doesn't matter in the "big picture"

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    I'll believe a CDMA / Verizon iPhone only when I see it actually announced by Apple.

Now, an LTE iPhone for Verizon... that seems like it could be likely, but I don't see that happening for a year or so.

But yes, the sooner the better for a new Palm device. Not just for us here, but also because there's a ton of competition in phones, and soon to be the same for tablets.
    <<Threads Merged>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer1022 View Post
    the iphone is overrated. ive worked on a few and i wouldn't own one or a wp7 device. simple tasks like transferring your photos from an iphone/ipod to your pc requires a paid app which should of been there by default.

besides it was confirmed a cdma iphone was not happening, did something change? if so i see a big blow coming for even android.
    That thing about transferring pictures requiring a paid app is just a lie, plain and simple.

Transfer iPhone Pictures to PC Windows 7 | MS Windows
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    He's the President of the Europe division, first off. I just talked to my friend/insider, because I was not very pleased about it, and he said he hasn't heard anything about it being delayed in the U.S. He said "Wait for a retraction, or a memo". So.. I still believe that it will be a November launch.
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 10/06/2010 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Language - Keep it PG-13
    Sprint Palm 2 - Developer Mode - 2.1.0
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    I think to find the best time, Palm/HP should do a study of when the majority of carrier phone upgrades occur.
    I'm sure they've done that. HP.is a smart, well run company. They have the data, they know the market. HP HAS What all the nay sayers lack: a bold vision. You've all read it before, reacted negatively, but it's worth saying again. HP didn't by Palm to be a phonemanufacturer. That doesn't mean they won't make great phones, but as so many have pointed out, there are so many already. A great phone will not sell itself. But imagine an HP announcement involving half a dozen products and services. Think: "the HP cloud, with webOS by Palm." they don't care about beating Apple or Google. They care about being the preeminent provider of consumer cloud services. The strategy is similar to googles - android isn't about making money, it's about controlling access to search. HP wants to control access to cloud services. If they make a big splash (tablet, streaming content, phones, productivity) people will take notice. They'll want a piece of the cloud, and HP will say "here's your phone to get there."
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast