Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    Being on topic, they have to define a launch window, and go ahead with that. Always will be a serious competitor in the same time frame.

--Sent using Tap@Talk for webOS
    Newness Developments apps:

Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    This caught my eye:

"For example, if you open Angry Birds and then switch to your e-mail, you have to completely start Angry Birds up again."

For reals? On the iPhone - which as we know, doesn't really "multitask" - you can totally leave AB and go back to it, mid throw if it needs to.
    You're always coming here to "defend" the iPhone... on a Palm site?

What's your mentality? You get some kind of thrill out of it?

No, seriously, I want to know.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Oh, well if Apple is able to pull of a release of an iPhone on Verizon in early '11 then it's over for WebOS. You'll see A LOT of Pre loyalists change their tune. Whether a new WebOS device is released before or after an iPhone in VZW is irrelevant. Apple will CRUSH HP/Palm in marketing. This is all the more reason why HP/Palm is making a huge mistake by not releasing something soon.
    Your title has a completely different meaning when a person named Alex reads it.
    I tend to agree with the OP. When Apple makes a CDMA iphone, what's going to stop it from taking over Verizon and eventually Sprint? Total domination. I know that I would be very tempted if this were to happen. I think HP/Palm have to hit it out of the park a lot sooner than later. I love webOS and my Pre is still going on like a tank, but the lack of news, features, and apps that Android and iphone are getting DAILY, makes me worry about the future of my phone and webOS.
    Anything before June 30th could be considered "early" 2011.

I wouldn't get my nickers in a twist before then.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    I'm not sure why everyone is freaking out about HP's announcement saying that new hardware is not arriving until the first half of 2011. I'm looking at it this way, HP wants to come out with a game changer and not play catch up to every device that Android releases each week or even the upcoming Windows Phone 7 launch or the next-gen iPhone.

Some great mobile technology is emerging throughout the rest of 2010 and early 2011 that I can't help but think HP is trying to implement as much of it as they can.

1) Clearwire/Sprint's 4G network should be up and running in dozens more cities. Also, Verizon's LTE network is going to officially launch in a bunch of major cities and then some.

2) TI OMAP next-gen processors will be out and perhaps we can actually see a 1.5 gHz CPU in future Palm phones.

3) webOS itself will have probably surpassed the 2.0 version of its OS so there are sure to be lots of functionality and features to please smartphone users.

4) If HP markets effectively and with good timing, developer support for webOS will have gone up and there will be more tools for developers to make cross-platform app for Palm as well as Palm-unique apps that enhance webOS (Ex. Utilising Stacks, Just Type, etc)

5) Other hardware specs should be more than solid and there is plenty of time and room to innovate so that users are presented with not only an elegant OS and UI but a solid, stunning device on which that OS runs.

If you think it's too late to come to the smartphone party, here's an example of why that's not necessarily true: Microsoft. Many have said in the past and to this day, that WM was a disaster and that Big M wouldn't be able to enter the smartphone market again successfully. And while the WP7 launch is still a few weeks away, it seems that there are more prospective customers and compliments than nay-sayers despite Microsoft's past screw ups *cough* Kin*cough*

Umm so yeah, my point is that good things seem to be brewing. If you can't wait it out, that's cool and it's your perogative to get a phone that meets your needs but I for one am optimistic about what Palm & HP have in store for next year.
    Last edited by clayclay350; 10/06/2010 at 03:42 PM.
    I am, therefore I think
    It may not be the worst, but it's very, very bad.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    Oh, well if Apple is able to pull of a release of an iPhone on Verizon in early '11 then it's over for WebOS. You'll see A LOT of Pre loyalists change their tune. Whether a new WebOS device is released before or after an iPhone in VZW is irrelevant. Apple will CRUSH HP/Palm in marketing. This is all the more reason why HP/Palm is making a huge mistake by not releasing something soon.
    That is right...I forgot about the iPhone in January for Verizon. And then the iPhone5 will hit the market around June of 2011. I see a very small window for HP/Palm and it is slowly closing if they don't release something before the Verizon iPhone. IF they do release something before Christmas, then they would be able to lock those customers into a contract so they couldn't jump to the iPhone when it comes out in January. That would be the smart thing. Most of the customers that had their contract come up have already switched to another platform waiting for Palm but they didn't deliver. Now whenever they do announce the new phone, they will be locked into another contract and unable to pick up the new webOS phone.
    Sprint Phones owned since Fall of 2001: Samsung I300, Samsung I330, Samsung I500, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Centro, 800w, Palm Pre, Samsung Epic and now the HTC 3D EVO.
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Being on topic, they have to define a launch window, and go ahead with that. Always will be a serious competitor in the same time frame.

--Sent using Tap@Talk for webOS
    There will always be serious competitors but there are also periods of greater opportunity for Palm. I think a November launch would give them a better chance of getting their message out -- Motorola, Samsung, and HTC have already played their hands which gives Palm more room to say "hey, look, this is new and different and you want it."

Something we haven't considered is the fact that Windows Phone 7 is slated to hit CDMA networks in early 2011 too. I'd imagine Microsoft plans to use the GSM soft launch to ramp up app availability, service integration, and general fit and finish of the platform.
    Verizon LTE ending of 2010 launched with new device announce at CTIA... Palm announcement at CTIA 2011.... this is all fishy to me.... wonder if VZ is gettin the new WebOS fone and not Sprint.... o.0?
    Cingular 3125 --> Samsung Instink! --> Palm Pre --> ???
    serioously people, this is a Palm centered website.

if you want an iphone, go get it or wait till it comes to vzw or sprint or whatever.

if you want an android device, go get one of the thousands out there.

if you want a palm/HP device, go get it, or if you are like most on this site, stick it through. We will see a new software update, we will have new hardware, and all will be ok.
    my upgrade is in NOV. but im most deff waiting. i just need a few things to hold me over:

1) i hope webOS2.0 is out soon and they release everything the devs need to make skype and other cool apps that we dont NEED (not saying we dont need skype cuz lord knows i do) but make us enjoy our pre's till the next one. AND

2) help from you guys in finding a better battery that will work with touchstone and will last at least 2wice as long as the one i have now. im a power user and with 1.4.5 i barely overclock but still it drains so damn fast. today i picked up my pre from the TS at 12:36 with 100% batt and @ 12:57 it was @ 90% then shot down to 87% a few minz after and all i did was pick it up make ONE txt check precentral app and webOSroundup app read the articles about the new phones coming 2011.... so please people reply to me here with battery suggestions or PM PRETTY PLEASE thx in advance and sorry for long post (if i should make my own thread for this kindly lemme kno)
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clayclay350 View Post
    Umm so yeah, my point is that good things seem to be brewing. If you can't wait it out, that's cool and it's your perogative to get a phone that meets your needs but I for one am optimistic about what Palm & HP have in store for next year.
    Glad you are optimistic because Sprint Pre customers are not. We have been hearing this for almost 2 years about what might be coming, what should be coming, etc. Now they have come out and said they will release a phone in early 2011? How many times are they going to keep leading us on? Maybe I am frustrated because I have seen this movie too many times. Most of us are out of our 1 year warranty so when the phone is cracked, broken, etc., it is either you pay the $100 for the insurance to get a new one or switch to a different platform. I have stuck with Palm for many many years (as you can see in my signature) but I am getting tired of always being behind of the competition. I have hung with them because they say that it is going to get better and it never does. I am NOT very optimistic about these announcements because it seems like they have been making mistake after mistake since this merger.
    Sprint Phones owned since Fall of 2001: Samsung I300, Samsung I330, Samsung I500, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Centro, 800w, Palm Pre, Samsung Epic and now the HTC 3D EVO.
    My prognostication is that Palm/HP will have at lease 3 different form factor phones running webOS and two pad/tablets running webOS some with LTE capability and they will be announced at CES with a physical launch date very close thereafter. The next three months will be spent preparing the advertising and logistical support for the phones and pads. I also predict that the phones will be on multiple carriers and launch in multiple countries using HP’s international marketing capabilities. Let’s hope the 1st commercials will have a less spooky lady and show some K*** A** features.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    <<Thread Merged>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    I don't see this launch going very well IMO The CDMA iPhone and Android 3.0 will be releasin too and get all of the hype. I'm waiting to see Android 3.0 before I updrade but may get an iPhone if it does go to Verizon.
    it makes business-sense that HP will announce both a new tablet as well as new phones at the same time at CES. The announcement of new phones can piggyback on the buzz of the new tablet...and we all know that a new HP tablet will have huge buzz with the common folk...moreso than a new webOS phone would alone.

they just have to say "tablet + phone will be shipping this week" and they will be good to go. IMO it would be a huge mistake to announce anything and it isnt ready to ship for another month or two. Got to capitalize on that hype as soon as possible and from now until CES is plenty of time to ramp up production.
    Quote Originally Posted by clayclay350 View Post
    I'm not sure why everyone is freaking out about HP's announcement saying that new hardware is not arriving until the first half of 2011. I'm looking at it this way, HP wants to come out with a game changer and not play catch up to every device that Android releases each week or even the upcoming Windows Phone 7 launch or the next-gen iPhone.

Some great mobile technology is emerging throughout the rest of 2010 and early 2011 that I can't help but think HP is trying to implement as much of it as they can.

1) Clearwire/Sprint's 4G network should be up and running in dozens more cities. Also, Verizon's LTE network is going to officially launch in a bunch of major cities and then some.

2) TI OMAP next-gen processors will be out and perhaps we can actually see a 1.5 gHz CPU in future Palm phones.

3) webOS itself will have probably surpassed the 2.0 version of its OS so there are sure to be lots of functionality and features to please smartphone users.

4) If HP markets effectively and with good timing, developer support for webOS will have gone up and there will be more tools for developers to make cross-platform app for Palm as well as Palm-unique apps that enhance webOS (Ex. Utilising Stacks, Just Type, etc)

5) Other hardware specs should be more than solid and there is plenty of time and room to innovate so that users are presented with not only an elegant OS and UI but a solid, stunning device on which that OS runs.

If you think it's too late to come to the smartphone party, here's an example of why that's not necessarily true: Microsoft. Many have said in the past and to this day, that WM was a disaster and that Big M wouldn't be able to enter the smartphone market again successfully. And while the WP7 launch is still a few weeks away, it seems that there are more prospective customers and compliments than nay-sayers despite Microsoft's past screw ups *cough* Kin*cough*

Well, a few big differences between Windows Phone 7 and WebOS 2.0:

When Microsoft saw Kin wasn't working, they quickly killed it rather let it linger on and spoil the water for Windows Phone 7. The current junky WebOS hardware and slow, laggy software build has been in the public eye for months on end, and HP is still trying to pay people to sign up for a contract to take one off their hands rather than eat the cost and start over like Microsoft did.

Microsoft has been building buzz by letting the hardware and software be seen and extensively used in beta builds for months before launch. HP is...waiting for CES, I guess?

Microsoft started with a huge developer outreach and financial guarantees to assure a solid app catalog on day one, including an official Twitter app which WebOS has yet to get. HP and Palm have Rahul Sood "calling all developers" on Twitter along with the buzz-free "Hot Apps" contest.

Microsoft is relaunching a phone OS on a single, high-end hardware spec. HP and Palm are trying to throw WebOS on everything with a touchscreen of any size and have the low-end Pixi as a hardware baseline.

And even with all of that, Microsoft's relaunch is far from guaranteed success. But I would say they are positioning themselves better than HP...thus far.

Let's see what happens at CES 2011.
    Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    bad? Yes

launch just before turkey day
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast