Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by htabbach View Post
    I don't think you get it. HP does not care about the current user base, in fact, like someone else mentioned, only us, Sprint Pre launch customers are eligible for an upgrade. HP CAN gain mind-share in a heart beat, this is HP we are talking about not Apple or Google. I agree with what HP is doing, they need a big splash and a reset and that's exactly what they are doing.
    What exactly have they done but delay?
    I had HTC Desire, then iPhone 4 (I'm long time mac user) but I sold android and iPhone and bought Palm Pre Plus again, I can't use other then WebOS. Don't jump on android, its too crap and unfinished system.
    [Regarding several posts above including replies to my earlier post]

The point is that, since the Pre and WebOs is such a dead device and OS for the general public right now (not us but most people) there is not the urgancy for releasing a new device now that there would be if they were in a market battle with Android, I-phone or anybody else. If they were concerned that, without a new device before Christmas, they would slip from 30% awarness to 15% then they might be more pressured to get something out immediatly. When you are at 0%, eh, what's another couple months to get things (in their mind anyway) "right." They are literally starting from scratch as far as the general public is concerned.

Why I am not totally pessimistic about it all is that they do have a great mature OS that will be there when the new phone(s) come out and given that, plus HP's size, I think developers that are already with WebOS will come back (assuming they leave) and new ones will come on board.

As for backward compatability of new apps and OS's, while I hope hey don't orphan the Pre's I don't think its is suicide for HP by any means. The Pre's will all pretty much be EOL (both by carriers and literally as they fall apart) by the time the new phone is out so those that have them now will either have left or looking to upgrade. I'm sure the current apps will for the most part work fine on 2.0 (and the future) although there will have to be tweeks made for screen dimentions. But why would they care if something new plays nice with a phone that is two years old?

And, although there may be 2 mill owners right now (think that is probably a bit high at this point but who knows), how many of them care about the device/webos enough for HP to worry about orphaning? How many have patched and homebrewed to make it continually relevant vrs. how many got it free or very cheap?

Just one possible example, I can see current apps scaled up to a bigger screen but not sure anyone will go to the trouble of scaling down new apps to fit the old screens.

Again, this would matter more to HP if this were a continuous company/product stream where you will have users of the older product overlap users of the newer product, but that is not the case here. There will be a big time gap between devices not to mention the new ownership and almost totally new staff and leadership. Again, hope that doesnt happen but would not surprise me if it did.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    What exactly have they done but delay?
    Delay what? There was no initial set date for the Pre 2 launch as far as I know. Listen, the game has changed, HP now is concerned with making sure that their future webOS products are integrated, this means that designs that Palm has before the merge are all gone. It's new game now, the PalmPad and the new phones and printers, and all other potential webOS devices are being designed from scratch and that takes time per Sood.
    I don't think you get it. HP does not care about the current user base, in fact, like someone else mentioned, only us, Sprint Pre launch customers are eligible for an upgrade. HP CAN gain mind-share in a heart beat, this is HP we are talking about not Apple or Google. I agree with what HP is doing, they need a big splash and a reset and that's exactly what they are doing.
    I agree with you.. But why delay and miss a holiday season that's gonna be full of competition.. Droid,htc, samsung, ect. Are all racking in customers and $ as it is.. I jus read in engadget that the galaxy s has sold 5 million units.. If they delay to jus release a up to date phone(possibly behind) from the rest their just shooting themselves in the foot... IMO they should relese their up to date hardware (mansion) for holidays to keep customers/developers interested and show that their still in the race. Then come in to CES with the future of mobile devices that'll really "Wow" everyone...
    Delay what? There was no initial set date for the Pre 2 launch as far as I know. Listen, the game has changed, HP now is concerned with making sure that their future webOS products are integrated, this means that designs that Palm has before the merge are all gone. It's new game now, the PalmPad and the new phones and printers, and all other potential webOS devices are being designed from scratch and that takes time per Sood.
    Making devices does take time, but HP hasn't shown us integration, hardware, or any specific announcements whatsoever yet. Every day that's not done is a delay in re-entering the market.
    may as will start guessing!

also one at a time ?

three at once ?

when announced? when delivered?

1st commercial?

BEFORE OR AFTER TABLET?
    Honestly, I think a LOT of manufacturers are not going to refine the Q1/Early 2011 timeframe until they see what the competition has at CES and how ready it is to go to market.
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Atleast there is a somewhat release date announcement of when new phones will arrive.

I switched over from my Sprint Pre to the Evo 4g a few weeks back and have no regrets. Granted Web OS is more elegant with multitasking and such but with the speed of the the Evo you dont even miss anything. Not to mention there is much more apps.

I have no loyalty to any company so hopefully when Palm releases there new phone it will blow away the competition.

Luckily I got the Evo through craiglist so I got it for cheap and did not reset my upgrade eligibility.

My upgrade is not until late January so hopefully Palm has some info out by then that will make me come back.
    for a carrier to launch at CES, they are loaded in the pipeline now.
    Quote Originally Posted by iverieli View Post
    I had HTC Desire, then iPhone 4 (I'm long time mac user) but I sold android and iPhone and bought Palm Pre Plus again, I can't use other then WebOS. Don't jump on android, its too crap and unfinished system.
    http://www.floppingaces.net/upload/2...ack-734818.jpg
    Wall street Journal reports Iphone release for Verizon in Jan 2011. With a new version of the Iphone. I know the die hard palm fans will stay but attracting new users and a buzz seems very unlikely. This seems like a poor move by hp and why make any announcement until a device is ready for release. I was going to wait for a new web os phone but now I'm going with android.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Making devices does take time, but HP hasn't shown us integration, hardware, or any specific announcements whatsoever yet. Every day that's not done is a delay in re-entering the market.
    You are correct regarding delay in entering the market but I honestly think that HP is not concerned with that whatsoever. We feel the delay because we already have a webOS device but HP will be targeting a much wider group of new customers that it does not matter to them if some of us buy a phone running other platforms because if we do really like webOS we will be back. I am not going anywhere, my Pre is holding up fine and I have no problems with it. If Sprint does not get a new webOS phone by the time my Pre is out I will try something else for a while.
    Despite how you may feel about WebOS, it's not a mystery why the Pre and Pixi bombed on the market. Buying a Palm phone requires someone to reject the developer support, cloud integration, and forward-thinking features that the iPhone and the leading Android phones all feature prominently and hope that these things eventually trickle down to WebOS.

That's a pretty tough sell but I think it's doable by making a lot of noise and releasing in the right launch window.

The problem is, there's another phone scheduled for a "early 2011" launch:

Apple Inc. plans to begin mass producing a new iPhone by the end of 2010 that would allow Verizon Wireless to sell the smartphone early next year, said people briefed by Apple.
    Apple Making Verizon-Ready iPhone by Year End - WSJ.com

I know, I know, the iPhone 4 doesn't make calls and it doesn't have true multitasking and you can't use gestures on it but this is a phone people want to own and, come early next year, it will be available to people smart enough to not be on AT&T.

Palm already took WebOS head to head with an iPhone launch before and the results were...less than spectacular. Is getting back in the ring for round 2 really the best idea? If they already have phones that have been ready for launch (as some PreCentral members' sources have claimed), wouldn't it be better to move the launch window up a few months when their biggest competition for new and shiny is a platform that isn't even available on CDMA networks?
    You are correct regarding delay in entering the market but I honestly think that HP is not concerned with that whatsoever. We feel the delay because we already have a webOS device but HP will be targeting a much wider group of new customers that it does not matter to them if some of us buy a phone running other platforms because if we do really like webOS we will be back. I am not going anywhere, my Pre is holding up fine and I have no problems with it. If Sprint does not get a new webOS phone by the time my Pre is out I will try something else for a while.
    I just don't get why people think HP is targeting "a much wider group of customers" than Palm did. Palm certainly went after the "fat middle" mainstream customer from day one without a care of keeping legacy Palm users who loved their robust PIM apps.

We see how that went. Then again, Samsung ****ed off loads of customers with the Behold 2 debacle, then sold millions and millions of Galaxy S devices. Of course, the key there was that they not only had hot hardware, but a popular OS running on it.
    With iphone on the big red (if this is all true) palm is doomed in winning Vw customers... After what they did w the pre plus I can already see the hundreds of iphone now on verizon commercials... And talk about a buzz kill for Q1 2011 palm phones... And I wouldn't doubt if hp is dumb enough to wait till after the ip4 is released on verizon to release the pre 2 ...
    From today until the end of world is the worst launch window. This is Precentral, remember?

Cloud integration? Are you serious?

--Sent using Tap@Talk for webOS
    Newness Developments apps:

Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Cloud integration? Are you serious?
    Why wouldn't I be? If you're deeply connected to Google's infrastructure, there is no better platform for leveraging their services than Android.
    Hmmm... Who else is wondering if HP is planning a big CES launch event to introduce a family of WebOS connected devices: phones, tablets, printers, etc.

Specifically, here's what I'm wondering: Could HP/Palm make a launch event, accompanied by the sort of buzz surrounding the Pre launch (CES 2009); and follow it quickly by a series of staggered releases of these devices over the course of winter and into spring? Could such a move generate enough publicity, buzz and subsequent momentum to catapault WebOS/Palm?
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Why wouldn't I be? If you're deeply connected to Google's infrastructure, there is no better platform for leveraging their services than Android.
    Try to manage multiple calendars from the same and different Google sources with Android, please.

I can accept your other points, but talking about cloud integration, anyone is near from webOS.

--Sent using Tap@Talk for webOS
    Newness Developments apps: