Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Klownicle View Post
    Trying to keep that fire burning eh?
    Not so much, was just a thought. If webOS 2.0 is the wonder update it has been touted as being, I'll be fine waiting. If webOS 2.0 is not, I may consider switching.

I've had my Pre for over a year and sometimes feel it was released as an incomplete device. If I don't patch, I can't play PDK games without rebooting SEVERAL times a day. Even with patches it gets glitchy and I find myself rebooting a lot. It's hard to justify not jumping when other options seem more complete/robust. Another big gripe with the Pre is the camera. With the flash everything is yellow. Get too close and all you have is a blurry mess.
    dude ,never said that that 83 percent was gonna buy a palm,,wake up,,get really,stop twisting,,what I said was there was still a very very large market out there to work with.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Just be happy the market is so competitive.

I'll just wait and see what the webos 2.0 devices will be like and compare them to Android 3.0 devices, which probably have some webOS heritage too due to the UI designer working at Google now.

I might grab a Pre Plus in the UK if I found an unlocked version there in the mean time. At least not an Android 2 device. i played with my GF's Galaxy S and apart from the huge amount of apps and the killer screen I didn't see anything I like.
    That's too bad. I reckon I'll be switching to one of the Android phones to get me by until 12/11. I can't go 15 more months on a smartphone w/o functional GPS. Hopefully by then HP/Palm can really have things straightened out and have good quality phones on the market. This really sucks.
    You will see us coming early next year with new phones," Senior Vice President Eric Cador told an industry conference.
    Its says early next year dunno why people are saying June 2011 my guess is sometime in Feb/March time frame..
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    They can come out with new hardware but if they don't have the developers onboard, it won't matter. Now HP/Palm is saying that they won't come out with new hardware untill 'early 2011'. So the developers are now going to have to stop developing (because why would you make apps for a market that is dwindling so much that it is not worth the time and effort) but come back to Palm sometime next year?? I doubt they will come back.

Seems like HP bought Palm for one reason and one reason only...for webOS on a tablet. The smartphone market is already dominated by Apple, Andriod and RIM with Windows 7 coming back this month. By coming out next year, I think Palm has missed the boat and waited too long.
    Sprint Phones owned since Fall of 2001: Samsung I300, Samsung I330, Samsung I500, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Centro, 800w, Palm Pre, Samsung Epic and now the HTC 3D EVO.
    Quote Originally Posted by evilkaneevel View Post
    rookie mistake. If you were around long enough you would understand that early next year would mean december of 2012. 12/11 is being optimistic
    That's one dark cloud you are living under my friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by chad783 View Post
    They can come out with new hardware but if they don't have the developers onboard, it won't matter. Now HP/Palm is saying that they won't come out with new hardware untill 'early 2011'. So the developers are now going to have to stop developing (because why would you make apps for a market that is dwindling so much that it is not worth the time and effort) but come back to Palm sometime next year?? I doubt they will come back.

Seems like HP bought Palm for one reason and one reason only...for webOS on a tablet. The smartphone market is already dominated by Apple, Andriod and RIM with Windows 7 coming back this month. By coming out next year, I think Palm has missed the boat and waited too long.
    100% agree. Motorolla alone has released 3 Android phones in less than a year. Throw into that mix the Samsung and HTC phones and the iPhone juggernaut and you've got quite a crowded market. None of those companies are going to wait around for WebOS to catch up. We all know that early 2011 does not mean January or February. I would guess April or May. You're exactly right that this is going to KILL development.

I don't doubt that a fair number of current WebOS users simply won't be able to wait for new hardware and will jump to some kind of Android phone, which will further dampen developer interest. This is a horrible move in my opinion.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    You completely ignored the fact that the Pre Plus was announced in CES January 2010 and was available the same month.
    Nothing new. All they did was release something that should have been released months before. And the only thing they did was increase the memory and add a mobile hotspot to the Verizon version. If they released the Pre Plus months before, the Droid would not have been a success that it turned out to be because Verizon would have stuck more marketing dollars into the Pre. Instead they stuck it into the Droid and it was HUGE success for them. Once again, Palm dropped the ball and missed a golden opportunity.

This is a new hardware which means more delays and pushbacks for Palm. Waiting til 2011 to release something new shows us one of two things: 1. that they had something in the works by the merger but HP came in and scrapped it. (big mistake....it couldn't have been that bad to scrap the whole thing and start over) 2. that there was nothing in the pipeline at all when HP bought Palm. Either way, it shows that this not a company that wants to progress in a timely fashion. My bet is that it will be one year since the merger that we will see a new device(s). Sure, they might say or show something at CES but it will not be ready til mid 2011. Otherwise, they would be a bit more precise with details of the new hardware unless they are still work-in-progress.
    Sprint Phones owned since Fall of 2001: Samsung I300, Samsung I330, Samsung I500, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Centro, 800w, Palm Pre, Samsung Epic and now the HTC 3D EVO.
    it just occurred to me that this comment was made in europe, presumable to european press and a european audience. so, let's all hope that he was speaking about european launches after a successful US launch in 2010.

Let's at least try to make that a credible rumor so we can cling to it for hope long enough for webOS 2.0 to arrive...
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Is it that hard to understand? HP is in it for the long term. They simply don't care about the current user base. Palm has a virtually non-existent brand-awareness in the whole world, except for the few people in US owning a Pre or Pixi.

They've seen Android gaining market despite the iPhone hype. This means. The market is very dynamic, iPhone was the hype until 2009. Android is the hype in 2010. HP hopes to be the hype in 2011/2012. People buy new phones every year, so "nothing's" lost when they miss out on one buying cycle.

It's all about execution power. And I hope that by taking their time they're fueling up their execution power more, so that they can have some impact in the market. If that means wait another few months I'd say that's a good thing. And of course they will have to plan carefully. We have Windows Phone 7 coming month. We'll probably have some iPad2 and iPhone5 in Q2 2011, so I guess Palm (re)launching in Q1 2011 isn't so stupid an idea at all...
    He could have meant new phones for Europe early next year. He was speaking in Europe and he is the VP for Personal Systems Group, Europe. Just saying....
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    If you want to keep the dream alive, indeed why not hold on this last straw...

But I don't see HP treating US any different than the rest of the world.
    Global Posts
    179 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    He could have meant new phones for Europe early next year. He was speaking in Europe and he is the VP for Personal Systems Group, Europe. Just saying....
    I was thinking this same thing..... Not sure if its just wishful thinking or not though
    Quote Originally Posted by chad783 View Post

This makes no sense. Even if they only bought palm for a tablet, they would still need developers to make apps for the tablet.

EVREYONE- HPPALM is basically hitting reset. Its possible to do that in the tech world. tons of companies have done that. WinMo for example.

Sure, there are a ton of current pre/pixi users who want a phone today. but the market is way bigger than just us. even if they were to lose half of us as customers, having a huge release in feb/march will bring them more than enough business.

pair this with the developer conference they are having (forget the date but i believe its close to when these will be released) and HP Palm will be okay.
    Moto Razr>>BlackBerry 8703e>>Moto Q>>Blackberry Curve 8330>>Blackberry Storm>>Palm Pre +
    If Palm don't come out and say the guy was talking about an Europe launch in early 2011, than I believe it will be next year.

Ps.. Don't believe everything you read or see on the World Wide Web.
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    wow, good thing this was released at 4:30 am.

the wrath of sprint pre owners will be starting soon.

"i'm jumping ship to android," they will all scream and yell.

meanwhile, most vzw and att users, and others worldwide, will continue to enjoy our pre plus devices, eagerly awaiting when we are due for an upgrade and watching from the sidelines, hoping hp/palm will pull all the right strings this time around. we will be hoping that as a result, the app catalog and media attention to our platform grows.

I honestly feel that hp palm will be releasing a slew of new devices next year, in many form factors, and that 2011 will be a great year...it will all start at CES 2011. Those that stick around can enjoy webOS 2.0.

If despite this, sprint users insist on running to android, though it will hurt hp palm in the short term, I think it will hurt those customers that leave more. android is a powerful platform, nice form factors and apps and all, but the fragmentation, brief life of each device, loss of privacy to google, and just overall user interface will drive each of you nuts...i am pretty sure, most will come back.

the unfortunate part is, if sprint customers flee, the precentral community will take a short hit...fewer posts, fewer rants, etc. but it will be back i'm sure.

hp palm...crouching tiger, hidden dragon...
    I don't see any regrets to jumping from the sinking Palm ship to the Evo. If HP gets their stuff together and produces a slew of new handsets good. The market needs as many players as possible.

But face facts the life cycle of a handset for the MASSES, not the minute minority that comprises this and other Pre sites is about 1 year at best. The Pre is now, what, nearly 1.5 years into it's PLC? Thats ancient for a handset.

Unfortunately I don't see people flocking back to the Palm family unless so many things change and too much to mention in a single thread.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    The sky is falling....the sky is falling....the sky is falling....
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by callen10 View Post
    EVREYONE- HPPALM is basically hitting reset. Its possible to do that in the tech world. tons of companies have done that. WinMo for example.
    Major difference with Windows Mobile and WebOS. Palm had great success with their release of the WebOS platform and had great momentum. But fell short because HP/Palm can't keep that momentum going. Developers jumped off and moved on. It sounds like they are building for what will be the 'big thing' in 2011/2012 which by the time they release it, will be outdated...again. With Windows Mobile, it had been around since Pocket 2000. The were way overdue for an overhaul. Apples and oranges.
    vzw users have only had the pre plus for 8 months, att for less.

facts are facts, and most people don't upgrade until they are eligible.

by the time most vzw and att users are ready to upgrade, we will likely have even more options. New webOS devices, win 7 devices, iphone, new blackberry OS, and whatever android of the month is out with "cupcake".

these options will also be available to all new smartphone users. It's up to hp to market the hell out of the new webOS devices.

for sprint users, the only ones ready for an upgrade are premier customers, right? Well, go upgrade to the latest android...the epic or evo or whatever. Enjoy. I've used android on my wife's phone and I would pick a webOS device every single time. But I'm telling you, when hp comes out with a new webOS device, most that leave will have a strong desire to come back. If you don't believe me, just read the threads. Most people that want to flock to android are doing so not because they don't like webOS, but because their pre's hardware is problematic and they think android is the promise land. It's not. It's good, but webOS is better...and it will get even better. I understand sprint users are frustrated, but realize, except for carrier issues, pre plus owners are generally satisfied.
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast