1.    #1  
    Recently there have been rumors the next device will be keyboardless. One of which reasons is presumably to be thinner. Do not get me wrong. Thinner in terms of a phone made in 2000 vs 2010 is one thing, but phones like the razer, and some of these other ultra thin phones seem stupid (in my opinion) to me as they not only become more breakable, they are also harder to hold, as well as easier to drop. the day a phone becomes as thin as my new ipod touch is the day i buy extended batteries and a hard case to make it more holdable. I'd much rather the decrease in microchip size be used for better batteris, a keyboard and a better camera then shaving off a few millometters. The epic is a fine thickness with a keyboard, and if i didn't dislike android and love webos, I'd switch. I am not trying to rain on those who like it thin just curious why manuafacturers are trying to hard to make things super thin. I'd say the pre is the perfect thickness to me. Keep that thickness make the screen 4 or 4.3 (after comparing the size of my ipod touch to epic and evo it's not alot different size wise as i thought.) and there you go. more keyboard room, lots more room for battery, bigger chip and much better camera. sounds good eh?

anyway just curious why, if possible, all phones would be as thick as a credit card.

>i730>i850>i870>i880>ic902>instinct>pre>HTC Arrive
    My thoughts:

20mm is too thick. 10mm is the sweet spot for handling and pocketing. 5mm is too thin to handle.

The Pre is too thick (16.9mm) for today's smartphones. Extended batteries make this even worse. In contrast, the Droid/Droid 2 are 13.7mm and the Epic is 14mm. 3mm is a noticeable amount.

The sweet spot for handling ad pocketability is ~ 10mm. The Droid X (10.2mm) and the iPhone (9.3mm) are right in that sweet spot.

Just some thoughts.
    Some kind of vanity point. There really isn't any need to try to shave off those extra millimeters from the width of the Pre.
    I wouldn't mind one two more millimeters extra thickness in the next Pre to retain the keyboard and gain a better battery. The Pre's pretty awesome right now 'cept the screen's too small for all I do and my Sprint Pre Minus keys don't 'click'.

Thinner would just be pointless and you'd lose all the room needed for the compass an XM Radio receiver.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    My thoughts:

20mm is too thick. 10mm is the sweet spot for handling and pocketing. 5mm is too thin to handle.

The Pre is too thick (16.9mm) for today's smartphones. Extended batteries make this even worse. In contrast, the Droid/Droid 2 are 13.7mm and the Epic is 14mm. 3mm is a noticeable amount.

The sweet spot for handling ad pocketability is ~ 10mm. The Droid X (10.2mm) and the iPhone (9.3mm) are right in that sweet spot.

Just some thoughts.
    14mm is a good thickness. The present Pre can benefit from loosing a few mm. Perhaps if they use the extra thickness in putting in a larger capacity battery....
    Quote Originally Posted by <name deleted by mod> View Post
    I love the size of the pixi and it has a keyboard, same with the epic, moto droid 1, ipod touch (the last one that didnt have a camera not sure which gen) and the evo
    There was an iPod touch with a keyboard?
    Last edited by bevcraw; 10/07/2010 at 10:22 AM.
    My thoughts:

Just some thoughts.
    Hm. Totally get what you mean, but "too thick" the way you describe it is basically anything that's thicker than the currently thinnest smartphones. I know this is your opinion and I respect it, but I seriously don't like sliver-thin phones, especially if they're all straight lines. They just don't feel good in my hand... In that respect I thought the 3GS was much better than the iPhone 4. A phone that follows the curves of my hand is just more ergonomic than one where everything is targeted towards slimness.
    I do like thin phones, but I must have a keyboard!
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Hm. Totally get what you mean, but "too thick" the way you describe it is basically anything that's thicker than the currently thinnest smartphones. I know this is your opinion and I respect it, but I seriously don't like sliver-thin phones, especially if they're all straight lines. They just don't feel good in my hand... In that respect I thought the 3GS was much better than the iPhone 4. A phone that follows the curves of my hand is just more ergonomic than one where everything is targeted towards slimness.
    Check out the Samsung Fascinate then - 10.5mm and all curvy.

And you're right - this is all about individual opinion so there can't be a "right" answer. I was thinking only of pocketability (shirt or pants, not suit coat), and to a point, slim is good, but too much slim can also be bad for handling.
    Check out the Samsung Fascinate then - 10.5mm and all curvy.
    Have, and it's nice I wasn't saying you can't have slim and curves in one package, I just meant to say that I'd much rather have a fat curvy phone than a slim oblong one. But I tend to wear rather baggy pants and have been carrying my phones in my side pockets since I was 16 and would also rather put up with a smallish but fat phone than with a large but slim one. That said, if I could get something Samsung Fascinate-like in portrait keyboard orientation running webOS, whooboy, white on rice.

This, exactly this, shows why there's only one company in the world that can dare release one form factor that's supposed to fit all - because one form factor most certainly does NOT fit all. Apple lives off its Alternate Reality Field. The genius of Android is that Google gives it away for free, resulting in a legion of manufacturers throwing out a myriad of phones. One of that myriad IS bound to fit everybody.

And there's a lot of people own toaster ovens, you know
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by robinslair View Post
    I do like thin phones, but I must have a keyboard!
    Me too, but a lot of people don't want them so there is no Web OS device for them.
    My N900 is 19.6 mm thick. It looks less awesome than it could, but it's not actually really that bad. I'd say much thicker (25mm?) would be slightly ridiculous. I'd say that while not the 'sweet spot', anywhere up to 20mm is easily pocketable, even in my jeans or shirt, and for those extra however millimeters, I get an FM radio reciever and transmitter, a kickstand, and an IR-out port. That said, it sucks as a phone, so I'm likely selling it and getting a Pre or a Pixi...