• Virtual!!

15 14.15%
  • Give me a new webOS device and I won't care

28 26.42%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    Many of us chose to stick around with Palm because of several reasons regarding the design/sophistication of the OS, contact-integration, documented api's etc etc. But one thing that surely attracted some folks that were probably new to Palm was the physical keyboards.

Up until tonight, we had all expected the webOS 2.0 devices to have physical keyboards (its just Palm's style, ok?). But with the rumors leaking about the "Mansion" without a physical keyboard has us in a riot.

Issues with lack of physical keyboard:
    - Just Type. if you have to launch your virtual keyboard before typing, the name is misleading.
    - Screenshots, really? will we need an app for that? Please, dont.
    - Copy/Paste, this could get ugly.
    - Selecting Text/Hi-lighting
    - Moving the text-cursor
    - Initiating USB drive(if you swiped its notification away)

State your issues.

Get the statistics to HPalm ... VOTE
    Last edited by flea; 10/04/2010 at 07:33 PM.
    Global Posts
    205 Global Posts
    Physical keyboard
    Virtual keyboard!
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    both
    I want physical. But if virtual had option for bluetooth keyboard then I honestly wouldn't care either way.... @ this point. I just want 2.0 on my device
    Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    Personally, I vote physical.. but i would feel much better if I knew a slider was launching right alongside the Mansion
    tastes great...
    Quote Originally Posted by omahawildcat View Post
    both
    now that's what I'm talking about,,,,why not?
    I want a physical keyboard, but I hope they build both so they have something for everyone.

I might be willing to give up a keyboard if they include something like swype, maybe.
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    I'm really partial to a physical keyboard, but I wouldn't be opposed to a virtual keyboard with haptic feedback. It would have to be a "click" type of feed back rather than a "buzz". If Palm did this, they'd be the first. It would probably require a click mechanism rather than a vibrator to accomplish this. Something as simple as a tiny solenoid that taps the side of the case would work.
    I like your thinking xalky but I've always been partial to the physical keyboard. I have to feel the raised buttons, the space between. But, after receiving my refurb, and having push HARD to get the 'U' key to work... I guess I'm undecided. But really xalky, you should patent that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I want a physical keyboard, but I hope they build both so they have something for everyone.
    +1

jim
    and I'm sorry I do agree they should have both as an option cause that really turns off a big crowd.
    If no Swype, it must be physical.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdsmartphone View Post
    tastes great...
    less filling!
    Virtual

Why waste space for a hardware keyboard that will probably suck like the VZW Pre+.
    Honestly something similar to swype is a must for me right now. I was messing around with the EVO and Epic, while waiting at the Sprint store while waiting for my 4th Pre, and found swype to be intuitive and accurate. Faster than a physical, much faster than virtual. If we can slim down the phone by removing the physical keyboard I would be fine so long as swipe is included.
    Definitely need a hardware keyboard if for nothing other than gameplay. Touchscreen controls, especially for direction, suck.
    "What is right, isn't always popular. What is popular, isn't always right."
    Quote Originally Posted by bradenfontaine View Post
    and I'm sorry I do agree they should have both as an option cause that really turns off a big crowd.
    It turns off a big crowd of Pre users... however this is relative to Pre users which frankly is not a large crowd.

If you look at the current market the virtual keyboad is dominant
    I'm bad bad bad at typing on virtual keyboards .. and won't virtual need 2 hands to use? Well probably depends on the size of the phone. If no physical keyboard than it better be freaking good!
    --Marvin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast