Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    What I would REALLY miss more than the actual keyboard is the slider. Being able to slide open and type a universal search instantly is great on my pre, and I still love opening/closing the slider to answer/end calls.

Quote Originally Posted by midmofan View Post
    What I would like actually is a "hard" button on the phone that calls up the keyboard no matter what is on the phone.
    I agree with this completely. A single button to launch/close the keyboard would be great. If this also woke the device (maybe a double-press), then you could get the same feel of instantly waking the device and typing for "just type" or a "quick action". It still wouldn't let me hang up my phone like they do in The Matrix, but I think I could survive that

You could get away without a hard button by utilizing double-tap on gesture area like the VK patch does now. Presumably, it would work much better than on our current devices because it wouldn't have that lag. It wouldn't have the benefit of waking the device, but it would be one less button.
    I hope this is for the tablet...one of the..if not the factor that initially made me choose the pre over the iphone aside from mutlitasking was the harware keyboard..
    i'm not sure if I even comprehend resolution correctly, so correct me if I am wrong, but isn't 800x480 considerably less impressive on a 7 or 10 inch device?
    to me this is a smart move for HP and palm to if they are releasing this for the holidays. It atleast shows they are trying to get something out there for the holidays, and stay relevant in the smartphone marktet. Even at 800x480 resolution, to me as long as the phone is constructed very well, webos2.0 has no hiccups and the processor they use in it can run the device with no flaws, it wont matter what the resolution is. Also looking at a iphone 4 I cant tell the difference in resolution, and as stated you really wont so a retna type display is just for bragging rights over numbers nothing major, so nothing to boo hoo about. Lets hope they intend on launching this device on atleast two carriers this fall, which is what Im thinking they will do.
    I'm ready to tackle a VK also I want my next device to be super thin with a 4in screen. Also I doubt this new device is going to be 800x480 because that hasn't shown up in the Metrix so I doubt those numbers are correct and it will be 640x960.

Follow Me On Twitter
    http://twitter.com/Joescan
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Blank View Post
    No keyboard, no sale. I've had a pure touchscreen before, and hated input. I've tried virtual keyboards, and I can type faster with my normal two-handed input. It would be even more infuriating than the TMC errors I see every day.
    I don't know about sme people but I haven't hada tmc error since about last april. You might want to do some kernel stuff or something. And I agree with those posts above about the keyboard at any time. I had android and I hated having to click on the search bar then wait for the keyboard then wait through it's slow universal search as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    i'm not sure if I even comprehend resolution correctly, so correct me if I am wrong, but isn't 800x480 considerably less impressive on a 7 or 10 inch device?
    yeah thats what I thought..so it must be for a phone.. it seems an odd resolution to have on a phone no?
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Could go either way on the keyboard. I like hard keys but had no peoblem with the iPhone's soft keys either. I will miss one handed operation that comes with hard keys though.

I really want to see 960x640 On the screen though I can easily live with 800x480.
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan View Post
    I used to say a keyboard was necessary for me to get a new device. After having played with both the EVO and Epic Virtural keyboard I do believe I can type just as well on them as I do the pre's small keyboard. I've played with swype and i think it would be great once get used to it.

The problem with most VK's for me is not the typing on the board itself, its getting the VK to come up when appropriate.. On too many of the slab phones you have to do do multiple unintuitive things to the keyboard up and its often up to the app to decide when to do the (what i assume is an API-like call) to bring up the keypad. What I would like actually is a "hard" button on the phone that calls up the keyboard no matter what is on the phone.

A good example of the problem is universal search. The way it is now with the pre, I start typing and then the phone figures out what I am doing (making phone call? searching contacts? doing other search). With several slab phones I have played with, I have to first tell the phone what it is im trying to do so that the keyboard will then pop up. Doesn't sound like a big deal and I am not explaining it well but it makes a difference.
    If you press the search button on android the keyboard pops up and your search results will give you an action.
    How much will a new device cost?
    As long as it is less than 200$ then its a go.
    Well, as much as I don't care for VK's, if the hardware is substantially better then I'd probably just get used to it.
    I can't stand vk's I just might continue to wait on some more new hardware.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I can live with a virtual keyboard, but already starting with a last generation resolution? I'm not going to rule them out obviously because this is only a rumor. I'm expecting at a minimum, 3.5" and 960x640.
    Quote Originally Posted by kel101 View Post
    yeah thats what I thought..so it must be for a phone.. it seems an odd resolution to have on a phone no?
    800x480 is the same resolution as the EVO at 4.3in screen and the Nexus One at 3.7in screen.

See here:
    Why Pixel Density Matters More than Just Screen Size or Resolution - Tested
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Thanks but no thanks. Lack of physical keyboard is a dealbreaker for me. I'll stick with living in the Castle for now.

Unless you're telling me it has Graffiti 1... then I might reconsider.
    +1, I'll stick with my trusty pre with a physical keyboard. "No Way" :-(
    Global Posts
    330 Global Posts
    from the looks of this thread, HPalm would be wise to have a phone with the physical keyboard and Vk
    Quote Originally Posted by Erckul View Post
    from the looks of this thread, HPalm would be wise to have a phone with the physical keyboard and Vk
    especially if they are going to push enterprise users as well
    but hp has said several times we will see webOS on numerous devices over the coming year, so I'm guessing that's what's happening. A palm product line, rather than 2 phones, a pre (type device) with or without keyboard , a full sized pixi like a treo pro model and an ipaq type slate model.
    Idk, I'm thinking @ least 3 lines though. Either way I think they will make a pixi with pre specs and looking similar to the treo pro. And the ipaq would be our flagship envy device
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    I haven't talked to my source yet, but I've not heard Mansion running around unless they recently renamed Roadrunner to Mansion. The Roadrunner HD is still on track with a new keyboard.
    Sprint Palm 2 - Developer Mode - 2.1.0
    If this is true then Ill stick w/ FrankenPre.

can you imagine? 1.2ghz, 512mb, WebOs2.0. = Winner
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast