1.    #1  
    I was intrigued by this Rahul Sood tweet this morning: Will we ever see the Voodoo logo again? // that'd be my dream for sure..

I was under the mistaken impression that Voodoo PC operated as a wholly owned subsidiary of HP, but after visiting their site (Voodoo PC Home Page), I realized it was nothing but a shell. It has two listed computer models with rapidly aging specs, neither of which are available for sale, and a "news" section with a bunch of 18-month-old articles on it. The "Community" section links you right back to a seemingly unrelated HP web page.

So what does all this mean? Has Voodoo PC been pretty much eliminated 3 short years after HP purchased them? Does Rahul Sood have so much free time for Palm because he's got nothing else to do while he waits for his earn-out to end? Is there another part to this story I'm missing? If not, this doesn't bode well for Palm and their team.
    We already have a hint with the HP webOS name change. I think the idea of Palm remaining completely independent and getting free access to sugar daddy HP's credit card has always been a bit of a fantasy.
    i think they will call it HP webOS, but the phones will carry the Palm brand. I'm totally ok with that, especially since no one currently associates HP with mobile phones. Palm still has some brand recognition - although it's disapearing quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I think you hit the nail on the head. That tweet does not sound like it comes from someone who is actively involved in what his former company is doing at HP.
    Great news! Now that HP owns Palm, Ruby won't have anything to do. So he will be free to cheer lead for Voodoo.
  5.    #5  
    Odd, I would have thought this thread belonged in the "Palm General Chat" forum given it's about HP (Palm's new master), Rahul Sood (Palm Community's rising star), and how HP acquisitions make out over time ... just like many other seemingly "acceptable" threads in that forum.

Oh well.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    We already have a hint with the HP webOS name change. I think the idea of Palm remaining completely independent and getting free access to sugar daddy HP's credit card has always been a bit of a fantasy.
    Next thing you're going to do is tell everyone there is no Santa Claus....
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Next thing you're going to do is tell everyone there is no Santa Claus....
    Now, now... what manner of beast do you take me for? I could never be so cruel.
    They can call it whatever they want (just not pixi ) just make it a good product!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Odd, I would have thought this thread belonged in the "Palm General Chat" forum given it's about HP (Palm's new master), Rahul Sood (Palm Community's rising star), and how HP acquisitions make out over time ... just like many other seemingly "acceptable" threads in that forum.

Oh well.
    <<moved back>>

Sorry,

A mod admits it was an error.
    Just call me Berd.
    HP bought Voodoo for its brand, not its product, as evidenced by the fact that the Voodoo DNA brand lives on.

HP bought Palm for its product, not it's brand, as evidenced by the fact that it's now called HP webOS.

Where's the similarity between the two buyouts again?
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    HP bought Voodoo for its brand, not its product, as evidenced by the fact that the Voodoo DNA brand lives on.
    So you're saying the existence of the words Voodoo and DNA mean the Voodoo brand lives on? Please show us all a current, existing product with this Voodoo DNA branding on it. The HP Firebird? Discontinued. The Voodoo ENVY? No mention of Voodoo, DNA or the like on the HP ENVY page. Their brand is gone. There is still a VoodooPC web page, but it hasn't been updated in over 18 months.
    It is probably inevitable that the Palm name will disappear. HP's stated vision is for a family of interconnected devices and it's hard to sell that with two different brand names.

How well Palm devices sell over the next 12-24 months will go a long way in determining how fast that happens.
    Following the close of the transaction, HP will form a separate business unit within its Personal Systems Group focused on the gaming industry. VoodooPC co-owner Rahul Sood will become chief technologist for the unit and co-owner Ravi Sood will become the unit's director of strategy. This acquisition, once closed, will extend HP's presence into the high-performance gaming market and globally expand the reach of the VoodooPC brand.
    The fact that Ravi and I are taking senior roles in the gaming business proves that the Voodoo brand DNA will be integral to the entire worldwide gaming unit.
    Voodoo now has the keys to a 3.5B R&D lab and under Rahul Sood we will be sure to leverage the kick-*** innovations that the PHD's within labs are conjuring up.
    Wow, that sounds awfully familiar for some reason...

Reading his blog posts from around the time of the acquisition, I really think Rahul truly believed that HP would allow Voodoo to operate autonomously and that he'd be able to leverage their parent company's checkbook to push the limits of how successful Voodoo could be.

I also think many of the people on this forum truly believe that HP will allow Palm to operate autonomously and that they'd be able to leverage their parent company's checkbook to push the limits of how successful Palm can be.
    are their any other companies that hp bought that are still around? Or have they all been phased out?
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by mindonmillions08 View Post
    are their any other companies that hp bought that are still around? Or have they all been phased out?
    Some in name only (Compaq, EDS), but none as independently operating, wholly-owned subsidiaries.
  16. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    i think they will call it HP webOS, but the phones will carry the Palm brand. I'm totally ok with that, especially since no one currently associates HP with mobile phones. Palm still has some brand recognition - although it's disapearing quickly.
    Depends where you are - Palm has absolutely no brand value in Europe, while HP is a name that people recognise. A HP phone is likely to be more successful that another Palm branded device.
    Even in the US, the Palm name is a double-edged sword: it does have a loyal following, but there are people who would never buy another Palm product, and the Pre probably didn't help that a lot. Palm does not have a reputation for quality hardware.

I can see some kind of co-branding like "HP powered by Palm" or possibly even HP-Palm like there used to be with 3Com. But I don't think there is any way that the real new hardware that we have yet to hear very much about will be released without the HP name on it. HP's brand is too valuable not to use it, and they absolutely want their name to be associated with webOS to further enhance that value.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer