Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Updated submission:

I've looked around and seen some absolutely gorgeous presentations for this competition, and am completely awed by some of the presentation skills shown here - truly great quality abounds, and there is some terrific ""eye candy" for us all to consider, for sure.

Inasmuch, I realized that my own submission was much less about presentation than it was about literally designing a fantastic "super-smartphone" that was based on a feasible working model represented in photorealistic fashion - I didn't consider the final presentation format as much, and, to be able to compete, I had to modify my format a bit.

Not easy when you have a full time career, which includes travelling.

My Concept:

While I can certainly appreciate the super-thin, curved shape of some of the other designs, in reality, they just aren't feasible. If you try to build them with all of the features they boast, they'd become larger than thier presentations indicate, or smaller and have to eliminate hardware and features - this was something I wanted to avoid.

Similar thoughts to the pebble shaped designs a la our beloved Pre - we all know we need a bigger screen, so, the design must incorporate that, and a physical keyboard, to satisfy many business users and a good portion (but not the majority) of consumers - incorporate that into the pebble design and you would have, then, a "boulder" and not a "pebble" in your hand.. very, very unweildy.

So, the slab design appeared to be the most efficient - and I took that concept and ran with it, after studying the internals of the Pre and HTC HD2, and this is how I came up with this "double-stacked sliding slab" design, where each slab is rather thin, yeilding a "stacked slab" device that is only .51" thick, but, using the combined common space created when the keyboard slides open to the maximum - that's about .4" high - after subtracting the shell and screen thicknesses! More than enough for good-size components such as batteries, CPU's, memory chips, etc.

This design is physically theoretically feasible, based on those components. The dimensions you see below are real and accurate. The proportion of the screen and its size is absolutely accurate, as well. Look at the video I have prepared below for a good understanding of just how this really looks from all sides, with photo-realistic quality.

I have heard SO many criticisms of the keyboards ontoday's smartphones, and so I spent quite a bit of time designing this.. the keys are sized and spaced for almost all finger sizes.. a full 5 row QWERTY with shift functionality that will allow all keys to have secondary functions when the shift key is pressed, just like a PC keyboard: nothing new to learn, and while I didnt have time to put all of the extra "shift" functions in here (in red), believe me, everything from the copyright to cursor arrow keys will fit in there, for absolute handheld keyboard functionality and flexibility.

The battery is almost 2x the size of the Pre's because of the additional width and height available in this larger screen design. This, coupled with the incredible power efficiency of the TI OMAP4 processor should at least double the battery life for this device over the Pre/Pre+ thats 10 - 15 hours of HARD 3g data and phone usage on one charge, with no performance lags.

Design execution:

This is not a "photoshopped" image - it was 3D modelled from scratch with specific and meticulous attention to dimensions to reflect actual, real world, workable scale and size, then textured, lit and rendered inside of a professional 3D modelling/rendering program.

Marketing Concept:

The "HD Squared" is my thought of a great way to market this next WebOS superdevice. Its technical enough to relate to the complexity expected of it, and easily rolls off the tongue, just like Verizons "Droid".

"A smartphone of the highest power!"

PS... I have a full 1920 x 1080 render done to use as a background on my PC (windows 7 can autnomatically change backgrounds). If there is any demand for it, I will gladly provide PC with that file for distrubution.

http://www.hparch.net/Pre2Posted.jpg

http://www.hparch.net/HD2.jpg

Video link (requires MP4 playing capabilities)!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LCGuy; 10/24/2010 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Revised submission for presentation quality
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

gorgeous. I like the metallic frame color to make a distinct look!
    The two of these I've seen are really impressive! Setting the bar pretty high.

Question: When the screen is on, I press the power button once and the phone restarts?!
    Wow, thats a great mock up, i would give up..., my old pre for that one... Couldn't think of anything whitty to give up
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    The two of these I've seen are really impressive! Setting the bar pretty high.

Question: When the screen is on, I press the power button once and the phone restarts?!
    Thanks for the compliment

Yes, if the screen is on, and you press the power button once quickly, it will reboot.

If you press and hold the power button longer than 1 second, it will shut off and not restart.
    Last edited by LCGuy; 10/03/2010 at 09:32 PM.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Thanks for the compliment

Yes, if the screen is on, and you press the power button once quickly, it will reboot.

If you press and hold the power button longer than 1 second, it will shut off and not restart.
    which is what he said

cant have my phone rebooting over a single button press

other than that, sickkk
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
    which is what he said

cant have my phone rebooting over a single button press

other than that, sickkk
    It's difficult to see, however, the restart button is recessed a bit, so it will take some effort to reboot it accidentally.

Thanks for looking!

Very nice but I can't help but wonder if this particular design would be top-heavy when open...
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    That's a pretty high dollar looking device. I'd love to carry that every day if it had a great battery life. Well done indeed.

You must be logged in to post links or photos. And by the way, your fly is open.
    Amazing mockup! One thing though, if I'm on a call how do I increase or decrease the volume?
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    Very nice but I can't help but wonder if this particular design would be top-heavy when open...
    I thought of this in design, and specifically enginnered it to avoid that.

The center of gravity, when open is very much closer to the keyboard, still - this is mostly because the bottom slabe is thicker and heavier than the top display slab.

Thanks for looking, and the comment!

12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Croathlete View Post
    Amazing mockup! One thing though, if I'm on a call how do I increase or decrease the volume?
    Very simply, as stated above- you press the gesture areas with a finger on either side.

I tried this manually, with a phsyical mockup and it works great, due to the size of the phone.

Thanks for the comment, and for looking!

Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    The center of gravity, when open is very much closer to the keyboard, still - this is mostly because the bottom slabe is thicker and heavier than the top display slab.
    Well then it would appear you though of everything

Congrats on what I am sure is a better mock-up then the actual device will be
    That go hard guy .. how do you take the battery out lol?
    --Marvin
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    That go hard guy .. how do you take the battery out lol?
    The black panel on the back snaps off.

Thanks for looking

Best one yet LCGuy! I would buy this in a second. The only thing I would change is I would lose the top row of keys.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    If the new device looks anything like this I am sold. Am I the only one who kinda wishes this is not actually a 'mockup' and truly a leak?
    wow

well done, LCGUY!

That's quite impressive. Maybe Palm should hire you

only thing is.. do you think maybe people would associate that as a copy look of the iphone 4 with the silver around the device?
    Since you thought of every aspect, what are the hardware specs?
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    wow

well done, LCGUY!

That's quite impressive. Maybe Palm should hire you

only thing is.. do you think maybe people would associate that as a copy look of the iphone 4 with the silver around the device?
    Kjb;

Not with the double layer slab.

Thanks for the comment and the kind words!

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast