Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 136
  1. #101  
    The phone looks awesome. Great work. I'm not really liking the chrome, but as with the chrome ipod backs, I would sand it to make it look like brushed metal.

    Oh yeah, and it looks like you got some antennaegate going on there.
  2.    #102  
    Quote Originally Posted by gollyzila View Post
    The phone looks awesome. Great work. I'm not really liking the chrome, but as with the chrome ipod backs, I would sand it to make it look like brushed metal.

    Oh yeah, and it looks like you got some antennaegate going on there.
    LOL, antennagate..

    Nope, internal antenna was my thought. Easy enough decision, too.

    Thanks for the comment!!!
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  3.    #103  
    Quote Originally Posted by haubey View Post
    I understand how the gesture pad would change the volume while playing music or a video or something of that nature, but how would it change the volume if I was just in card view and wanted to lower it, or in an app? I think it would have to have a special meta-tap of some sort, or maybe I'm just misunderstanding the feature.
    Well, I was thinking that ANY time the speakers or earphone jack was in use, that the gesture area sides would be activated for touch by length of time and pressure.

    I guess my intention was to simplfy the device as much as possible, wherever possible - and I thought "the less buttons - the better".

    Thanks for looking and the very kind comment!
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  4. #104  
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Well, I was thinking that ANY time the speakers or earphone jack was in use, that the gesture area sides would be activated for touch by length of time and pressure.

    I guess my intention was to simplfy the device as much as possible, wherever possible - and I thought "the less buttons - the better".

    Thanks for looking and the very kind comment!
    What if you're listening to music and you want to bring up the Quick Launch Wave Bar or you just want to Gesture + Tap something?
  5. dunivan's Avatar
    Posts
    108 Posts
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    #105  
    thats awesome, but i would prefer all black.

    niice job, how long did it take?
    Law Student, SEO Worker, PRE OBSESSED
    Sprint Pre
  6. jt99's Avatar
    Posts
    166 Posts
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    #106  
    I'd like to see a close up of the earpiece speaker because I'm really confused as to what it would look like.
    Palm Pre. Sprint.

    View My Mockup!
  7.    #107  
    Quote Originally Posted by dunivan View Post
    thats awesome, but i would prefer all black.

    niice job, how long did it take?
    I should preface this by disclosing that I've been heavily involved in creating 3D work for more than 10 years, with a primary focus on "photorealism"...

    From concept to final rendering took both Saturday and Sunday thi spast weekend, right after I heard about the competition.

    thanks for looking!

    Last edited by LCGuy; 10/08/2010 at 06:17 AM.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  8.    #108  
    Quote Originally Posted by DanLipson View Post
    I'd like to see a close up of the earpiece speaker because I'm really confused as to what it would look like.
    Dan;

    I modelled it after the current Pre's - I just changed the finish.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  9. RafRol's Avatar
    Posts
    544 Posts
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    #109  
    Ah. May. Zing.

    Awesome job!

    This phone looks so good that I imagine that it will need to be heavily subsidized.

    On the other hand, I really don't like the dedicated top row of numbers (from experience). I think most people are accustomed to the 3x3 layout of numbers primarily due to dialing, calculators, etc. I'm quite content with the layout of the current 4-row qwerty.

    Anyways, I hope Palm is taking notice.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
  10.    #110  
    Quote Originally Posted by RafRol View Post
    Ah. May. Zing.

    Awesome job!

    This phone looks so good that I imagine that it will need to be heavily subsidized.

    On the other hand, I really don't like the dedicated top row of numbers (from experience). I think most people are accustomed to the 3x3 layout of numbers primarily due to dialing, calculators, etc. I'm quite content with the layout of the current 4-row qwerty.

    Anyways, I hope Palm is taking notice.
    Thanks so much for the kind compliment!

    Re- dedicated numbers keys - that's one of the primary things I wanted to brign back to the smartphone - too many combination presses - numbers should, IMO, have primary presses as well - expecialy since this is a phone!!

    Anyway, I do appreciate the additional opinions!!!!
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  11. npyle's Avatar
    Posts
    174 Posts
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    #111  
    Nice friggin work. And the attention to detail/specifics--well done.
  12. #112  
    Beautiful mockup, but I have some reservations.

    From an engineering perspective, I just don't see how you're going to get a decent sized battery, SD card slot, a keyboard that size and all the radios/antennnas into the bottom section of the slider and maintain that level of thinness. It just doesn't seem realistic.

    From an aesthetic perspective, I agree with a previous poster that chrome finishes look cheap. I initially thought the metal rim was actually a pale gold/bronze color rather than that being a reflection of the wood table. That would look FAR better than chrome, in my opinion.
  13.    #113  
    Quote Originally Posted by idontwan2know View Post
    Beautiful mockup, but I have some reservations.

    From an engineering perspective, I just don't see how you're going to get a decent sized battery, SD card slot, a keyboard that size and all the radios/antennnas into the bottom section of the slider and maintain that level of thinness. It just doesn't seem realistic.

    From an aesthetic perspective, I agree with a previous poster that chrome finishes look cheap. I initially thought the metal rim was actually a pale gold/bronze color rather than that being a reflection of the wood table. That would look FAR better than chrome, in my opinion.
    Thanks for the kind compliment!

    1. The battery is in the lower slab, and the body is a little wider - so, a larger batter is quite possible, and very achievable. One other thing that wouldnt be obvious to many is that the slabs overlap about 75% in profile when the keyboard is slid out - this provides additional depth (height) for elements such as batteries, CDU, memory, etc, especially if they have to be vertically stacked on top of one another - there is probably .4" in space there in depth for that 75% that is available this way. Its not obvious at first, but it is a physical reality, that is a benefit from this type of design.

    2. Thanks for your opinion on aesthetics - we all have varied tastes, and I recognize that - not everyone will agree on what will look good to them, or to others, even - this was designed by me to appeal to the masses - the color combination of the nickel and black is a classic "high-level" look, and if pulled off well in production/fabrication, will yield a very classy appearance.. something I think is lacking in all smartphone designs to date (my opinion, but, remember this is my artistic interpretation!!).

    So, the render isnt just a pretty picture, it is a representative of how it really will look, just like in a photograph.

    Last edited by LCGuy; 10/08/2010 at 08:48 AM.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  14. #114  
    Love it.

    And the specs look awesome; I could only hope the upcoming device will be as nice in appearance.
  15. #115  
    Dude, you got some skills! If Palm used this as a base, and made it a tad more sexy, it would be perfect. Nice!!
  16.    #116  
    Video link added to original post under rendered images.

    Requires mp4 playing capabilities in your browser.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  17. mike5's Avatar
    Posts
    762 Posts
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    #117  
    Very cool!
  18. #118  
    so your sayingg that I that 75% a battery could say be a thick a both slabs would allow together? Wouldn't that cut into necessary space for a tocuhscreen?
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Thanks for the kind compliment!

    1. The battery is in the lower slab, and the body is a little wider - so, a larger batter is quite possible, and very achievable. One other thing that wouldnt be obvious to many is that the slabs overlap about 75% in profile when the keyboard is slid out - this provides additional depth (height) for elements such as batteries, CDU, memory, etc, especially if they have to be vertically stacked on top of one another - there is probably .4" in space there in depth for that 75% that is available this way. Its not obvious at first, but it is a physical reality, that is a benefit from this type of design.

    2. Thanks for your opinion on aesthetics - we all have varied tastes, and I recognize that - not everyone will agree on what will look good to them, or to others, even - this was designed by me to appeal to the masses - the color combination of the nickel and black is a classic "high-level" look, and if pulled off well in production/fabrication, will yield a very classy appearance.. something I think is lacking in all smartphone designs to date (my opinion, but, remember this is my artistic interpretation!!).

    So, the render isnt just a pretty picture, it is a representative of how it really will look, just like in a photograph.

  19.    #119  
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemsonPre View Post
    so your sayingg that I that 75% a battery could say be a thick a both slabs would allow together? Wouldn't that cut into necessary space for a tocuhscreen?
    Nope. Not at all.

    The touchscreen lies on top of that ,4" thickness. the whole device is .51" thick.

    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  20. eps1lon3's Avatar
    Posts
    97 Posts
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    #120  
    Calling this a superphone would be an understatement. Great work!

    Just a question about the keyboard. What material are the keys made of?
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions