Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    No Sym Key? That's a little disappointing. How would one access symbols and emoticons with this keyboard?
    I am, therefore I think
    no sliding keyboard please.
    Quote Originally Posted by electrical1213 View Post
    That's kind of a Palm signature and a differentiating factor for a lot of people that bought the Pre. It's in demand so why not include it? They can offer several form factors to please others.
    I am, therefore I think
  4.    #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by clayclay350 View Post
    No Sym Key? That's a little disappointing. How would one access symbols and emoticons with this keyboard?
    Use the "shift" key. Symbols can be put under each letter key for their access.

Thanks for your comment!
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

5.    #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by electrical1213 View Post
    I appreciate your sentiment, but, that is a primary aspect of this particular design solution.

Thanks for the comment, though, and for looking!
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

WOWWWW gorgeous! i'm obviously a little late in checking out these renderings and mock-ups. haven't read through the whole thread cuz i'm at work right now, but i would absolutely love to use this as the background on my PC.

any way to get the high-res image that you mentioned on the first post?
    thanks!
    oh, and to respond to some of the opinions, YES sliding keyboard :-)

obviously some people will want one, some wont. but like you mentioned, its definitely one of the major differentiating factors that makes me love Palm more than anything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by LO 21 View Post
    oh, and to respond to some of the opinions, YES sliding keyboard :-)

obviously some people will want one, some wont. but like you mentioned, its definitely one of the major differentiating factors that makes me love Palm more than anything else.
    1. A sliding keyboard:
    1. Is too big to be used as a thumboard.
    2. Is too awkward to be used on anything but a flat, stable surface.
    3. Adds considerably to the thickness of a device that is intended to be lighter and more mobile than the laptop/netbook category of devices.
    OR
    4. Is essentially useless as a keyboard if it's thin enough to not add appreciably to thickness.

But other than that, it's a great idea.
  9.    #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    1. A sliding keyboard:
    1. Is too big to be used as a thumboard.
    2. Is too awkward to be used on anything but a flat, stable surface.
    3. Adds considerably to the thickness of a device that is intended to be lighter and more mobile than the laptop/netbook category of devices.
    OR
    4. Is essentially useless as a keyboard if it's thin enough to not add appreciably to thickness.

But other than that, it's a great idea.
    Kupe;

Au contraire!

This scaled quite well - the dimensions arent guesses, they are accurately, intentionally designed.

Since the center of mass (centroid) of the whole device shifts only slightly higher when it is open than when it is closed (due to design intent of mass of bottom slab compared to top slab), this slider should work quite well.

But, we all have our personal preferences...

Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    NICE!!!!! Freaking awesome.
    Love the mock up. Amazing as is.

I had not heard of e-ink physical keyboards until today but I have to say I am falling in love with the concept. Here is a website that has a video of the Samsung Alias 2: Review of Samsung's Alias 2 with e-ink keypad review. Is there anyway of incorporating such a design into your mock up. It gives so much versatility to a physical keyboard. The keyboard changes according to orientation of the device but I can easily visualize that it could change what the keyboard offers depending on what app is running. Imagine playing a video game and the keyboard changes to a controller. Imagine if you are using messaging app and you want to type in a foreign language make a change in the app menu and the keyboard changes to that language character set.

Anyways, I guess I cant believe that this technology is not more ubiquitous.
  12.    #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by zulfaqar621 View Post
    Love the mock up. Amazing as is.

I had not heard of e-ink physical keyboards until today but I have to say I am falling in love with the concept. Here is a website that has a video of the Samsung Alias 2: Review of Samsung's Alias 2 with e-ink keypad review. Is there anyway of incorporating such a design into your mock up. It gives so much versatility to a physical keyboard. The keyboard changes according to orientation of the device but I can easily visualize that it could change what the keyboard offers depending on what app is running. Imagine playing a video game and the keyboard changes to a controller. Imagine if you are using messaging app and you want to type in a foreign language make a change in the app menu and the keyboard changes to that language character set.

Anyways, I guess I cant believe that this technology is not more ubiquitous.
    Thanks for the kind comments and for the suggestion.

I think this type of keyboard is really innovative, and has much potential for future smartphone concepts, however in using keyboards without a real "button feel", we are still in the range of virtual keyboards, which is something I'd personally rather avoid, for now; this keyboard on my concept was specifically designed for speed and comfort and high usability (true QWERTY layout, dedicated number row on top, conventional "shift" key instead of the "sym" key, etc..).

Lets see how this evolves, and who knows?

One day I mght conceptualize something using this for Palm as well!

Thanks again!!!

13.    #93  
    Improved render, put seams in back battery cover, fixed "P" on keyboard, provided keyboard enlarged detail on front page.

Sure does look a lot like an iPhone...
    That isthe sexiest device I have ever seen (real or fake). I'd pay a mint for that especially because it appears that it would be pretty high build quality.
  16.    #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    Sure does look a lot like an iPhone...
    Perhaps from the back.. Alittle, but with the double slab sliding design snd th use of materials, i'm not seeing that at all..

but thanks for looking and for the coment!

Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    @LCGuy thanks for getting our hopes up .. sure would like to tote a webOS device in this form factor and design, BUT unfortunately we have no idea what our future for webOS devices holds in store.

@HP we all know you got a business to run, but a little bit of connection to your extremely loyal fan-base would be nice. We are, after all, keeping this brand alive for you. ... take note at least eh?
    This mockup is pretty much what I hope HPalm's superphone is like. Although I wouldn't mind a 4" screen...
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    As submitted tonight:

This is NOT a "photoshopped" image - it was 3D modelled from scratch with specific and meticulous attention to dimensions to reflect actual, real world, workable scale and size, then textured, lit and rendered inside of a professional 3D modelling/rendering program.

The design is from scratch, and this features:
    • 3.8" diagnol display, in 3:2 format to accommodate 960 x 640 resolution (speakers are on sides of LED on both front and back of unit)
    • Front facing dual LED 3 megapixel camera
    • Rear facing dual LED 8 megapixel camera
    • Materials are mirror polished nickel and mirror polished black anodized aluminum.
    • Top of unit has a spring loaded micro-SD card slot
    • Top of unit has a 3 position sliding ringer switch (left = sound, middle = vibrate + sound, right = vibrate)
    • Top of unit has a spring loaded On/Off/Restart switch (Press once to turn on, press once to restart when on, press and hold to shut down when on)
    • Top of unit has a 3.5mm headphone jack
    Unique concepts:
    • Eliminate volume buttons - instead, use Gesture Area - when sound is playing, press and hold left side to reduce volume, press and hold right size to increase volume.
    • Full 5 row QWERTY keyboard which operates similar to standard PC keyboards, using "Shift" and "Caps" keys.
    Physical dimensions:
    Top display slab: 2.35" wide x 4.39" long x .225" thick
    Bottom keyboard/battery/cpu slab: 2.35" wide x 4.39" long x .285" thick
    Full unit closed: 2.35" wide x 4.39" long x .510" thick
    Full unit open: 2.35" wide x 5.55" long x .510" thick

Hardware Specs:
    TI OMAP 4430 1ghz Arm A9 dual core processor, w/gpu (only because they are sched. for shipping 2nd half 2010, otherwise, I'd spec the 4440 at 1.8 ghz!)
    1g RAM
    8G internal memory
    MicroSD slot on top up to 32g
    2250 battery (due to the extra width of the body )

PS... I have a full 1920 x 1080 render done to use as a background on my PC (windows 7 can autnomatically change backgrounds). If there is any demand for it, I will gladly provide PC with that file for distrubution.

http://www.hparch.net/Pre2Posted.jpg
    oh wow I love this device. I think it'd be perfect! You should work for palm!

-Toaster
    I understand how the gesture pad would change the volume while playing music or a video or something of that nature, but how would it change the volume if I was just in card view and wanted to lower it, or in an app? I think it would have to have a special meta-tap of some sort, or maybe I'm just misunderstanding the feature.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast