Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1.    #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by tooearly View Post
    I think someone copied your phone already...
    Where?
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    I was gonna post my mockup but after seeing this beauty.....nevermind.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    My HP laptop at work has volume controls similar to your design - you tap and hold little LED - or + on a stip on the top increase or decrease volume. It's kind of sexy, and pretty annoying, but mostly because the software that registers the changes is very laggy.

I like trying to add another purpose to the gesture area and make the hardware sleeker. On a phone, I envision that 98% of the time I'll think it's very cool. Then there will be the 2% of the time when theres a problem with it and I want to throw it against a wall....

While you like software volume buttons, you want a hardware reset button. Can you explain the reasoning behind that? Do you really reset your phone that often that it's worth risking accidental resets (which we know can be so painful on webOS)? What's wrong with holding the power button while toggling the silent/vibrate switch 3 times?

Device looks great! I totally agree that a landscape slider kind of sucks in general and would be even worse on a webOS device.
  4.    #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by ahitz View Post
    My HP laptop at work has volume controls similar to your design - you tap and hold little LED - or + on a stip on the top increase or decrease volume. It's kind of sexy, and pretty annoying, but mostly because the software that registers the changes is very laggy.

I like trying to add another purpose to the gesture area and make the hardware sleeker. On a phone, I envision that 98% of the time I'll think it's very cool. Then there will be the 2% of the time when theres a problem with it and I want to throw it against a wall....

While you like software volume buttons, you want a hardware reset button. Can you explain the reasoning behind that? Do you really reset your phone that often that it's worth risking accidental resets (which we know can be so painful on webOS)? What's wrong with holding the power button while toggling the silent/vibrate switch 3 times?

Device looks great! I totally agree that a landscape slider kind of sucks in general and would be even worse on a webOS device.
    1. Im hoping that dual core 1ghz+ TI OMAP4 processor makes using the word "lag" whenever referring to WebOS something we'll never have to hear again.

2. The hardware button to turn on, and reset, is an improved version of what Palm uses now. I recessed the button a little bit, so that it isnt easily triggered, except with a deliberate press so the skin of your finger will do the pressing. Do that shortly, it will either turn on or restart your phone. Do it longer, and it will shut down the phone. Simple and easy to understand.

Thanks for your thoughts and kidn words, they are much appreciated!!!
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    2. The hardware button to turn on, and reset, is an improved version of what Palm uses now. I recessed the button a little bit, so that it isnt easily triggered, except with a deliberate press so the skin of your finger will do the pressing. Do that shortly, it will either turn on or restart your phone. Do it longer, and it will shut down the phone. Simple and easy to understand.
    For me, I like the ON and OFF button to be very easy to press and the RESET button to be pretty hard to press. The way you have it, I can see trying to turn off the screen and slipping and accidentally restarting.

Why not just have it like the advanced reset options patch? Pressing once turns on or off the screen, press-and-hold gives a menu for Airplane Mode, Reboot, Shut Down, etc.?
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    1. Im hoping that dual core 1ghz+ TI OMAP4 processor makes using the word "lag" whenever referring to WebOS something we'll never have to hear again.
    I hope so too . There are still times when you want to adjust volume quicker than a tap-and-hold could accomplish, but maybe there could be a double-tap-hold or something that would jump the volume down to 15% or up to 85% and go from there.
  7.    #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by ahitz View Post
    For me, I like the ON and OFF button to be very easy to press and the RESET button to be pretty hard to press. The way you have it, I can see trying to turn off the screen and slipping and accidentally restarting.

Why not just have it like the advanced reset options patch? Pressing once turns on or off the screen, press-and-hold gives a menu for Airplane Mode, Reboot, Shut Down, etc.?
    I guess this is just one of those things we'd have to field test to figure out!

Thanks!!!

Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    I guess this is just one of those things we'd have to field test to figure out!

Thanks!!!
    Good idea, start cranking them out... (Dibs!)

What will be the keystroke to activate the tazer?
    I would still prefer volume buttons on the side of the phone, but using the gesture area to adjust the volume is really thinking out of the box and sounds like a great idea.

The only reason I want the volume buttons on the phone is I usually turn the volume up and down while the phone is still in my pocket. It is much easier to do this with hard buttons by just feeling for them.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    I would still prefer volume buttons on the side of the phone, but using the gesture area to adjust the volume is really thinking out of the box and sounds like a great idea.

The only reason I want the volume buttons on the phone is I usually turn the volume up and down while the phone is still in my pocket. It is much easier to do this with hard buttons by just feeling for them.

Not to mention you can stop a phone ringing by hitting the volume button...something I wish more people (in public, in meetings, etc.) realized.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    Not to mention you can stop a phone ringing by hitting the volume button...something I wish more people (in public, in meetings, etc.) realized.
    Or by hitting the power button.

Nice looking, maybe a bit too much like the iPhone for my taste, but still a solid effort and if they made one that way, I'd buy it.
    Wow, that is sharp! Bravo!
    Amazing looking phone. I agree with the comments that say: physical volume keys (everytime I've had virtual volume on other devices its been complicated), I like the working of the current power button on the pre and do not go for a horizontal slider. Horizontal sliders look cheap to me. Maybe because the first one i saw was some of the low end messaging phones, but if I have that view, I'm sure a lot of others have it.

I will glaldy volunteer to beta test it...
    Absolutely gorgeous and everything I'd want in a phone, but I have two caveats:

- Dark/black chrome rather than what you have now, looks cheap on absolutely anything (I'm afraid people will compare it to the Storm on quick glance).
    - Only the same Palm logo I'm used to, and without the HP part... might actually be a real-life issue to do that, but I don't like that logo on there now.

Otherwise, that is one hell of a design. Excellent!
    Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    O_O Beautiful
    WOW! VERY nice. Really feeling the chrome/metallic frame. Awesome.
    The Saint
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    PAAAAAAALLLLLLMMMMMMMM - I want to buy this superphone!!!!!!!

That out of the way, I like the top row of numbers too, for the keyboard. I type #'s a lot in texting, so it would be nice not to have to do the orange button dance. That top row is the main reason I like my wife's Android landscape slider - that and the bigger screen, louder speaker, and compass built in (magnetometer). While I like the aesthetics of the Riverstone design, my aging EYES and fingers like a bigger slab/keyboard, especially at the end of the day! And I like the aesthetics of this design, too. Hope HPalm is watching this thread....
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    If 1/8" is too wide for you, then it's too wide for you, but, Im pretty sure for most people it will work.
    I think you're right. I think that the side of the strip visually merged into the top and made me think it was wider than it really is.
    all i can say is hands down gorgeous my man, just hands down gorgeous...
  20.    #80  
    Detail shot of keyboard added on front page.

Possible video to come tonight.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast